Should the NHL get rid of NMC’s?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good luck convincing the NHLPA to agree unless the owners plan to give up a huge concession.

Exactly and correct me if I am wrong, but the number of NMC has fallen since the Vegas expansion draft as teams have learned that it can be a big burden having to protect guys that might no longer be worth protecting. Players like them and teams like them as they can sometimes convince a player to take less cap money or whatever for that control.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think NMC are fine.
They protect players interests, while also being a negotiating tool to lower their cap hit for GM's.

This is especially important for parents with kids in school.

You can't just uproot and relocate your family during a school year, or not watch your kids grow up for several months.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Imo all contracts should be reduced but come with performance bonus'.

Instead of players getting an 8 x 6 deal and then just coasting for the next 6 years they would get 4 x 6 with an extra 4- 6 million in bonuses each season based on a set criteria.

Would make the league more competitive imo.

sourdough

Sep 23, 2009
Players and teams should be able to negotiate buy outs for NMCs and NTCs with the buy out counting against the cap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think NMC are fine.
They protect players interests, while also being a negotiating tool to lower their cap hit for GM's.

This is especially important for parents with kids in school.

You can't just uproot and relocate your family during a school year, or not watch your kids grow up for several months.
NMC were never a thing until the Bryan McCabe situation where it was either Toronto/Fla at the time wanted to demote him to the A because he had a NTC and wouldn't waive it or something?

Once other players and agents saw what was happening to McCabe, they moved to protect themselves on their next contracts.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Imo all contracts should be reduced but come with performance bonus'.

Instead of players getting an 8 x 6 deal and then just coasting for the next 6 years they would get 4 x 6 with an extra 4- 6 million in bonuses each season based on a set criteria.

I used to think performance might be a good idea but over time, I've really took the opposite stance.

Performance bonuses based on collective achievements (making the playoffs, winning the SC) bring the risk of seeing more players sign only with contenders.

As for individual performance bonus, I think there are too many ways to contributes that are hard to quantify and turn into bonuses. I also think in some cases it has perverse effects of turning players even more individualistic.

I definitely think the way to go is short contracts. 3 years max, with signing an extension being possible during your 3rd year.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Players should have the right to choose where they play.

It's not that simple. This isn't like you or I choosing where to work. The NHL operates using a collective bargaining agreement that was ratified by both the player's union and team ownership, and said agreement dictates the terms of employment under any and all NHL franchises, which can be considered a single unit in some ways.

The 27/7 rule is already anti competitive as hell. NHL contracts already heavily heavily favour the teams, this would only work if 27/7 becomes 25/5

The NHLPA would undoubtedly demand a big concession on the part of ownership if movement clauses were restricted and/or eliminated in the next CBA, and rightfully so. Seeing that veteran players would not benefit from a 25/5 rule, and that said players often take leadership roles within the NHLPA, my guess is that they'd rather have NTC/NMC's still be allowed than to give those up and decrease the years of team control by two. But that's just my hypothesis.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The only thing I can think of in this scenario is possibly giving opt out/opt (player or team options) in in contracts like NBA, NFL, MLB.

I definitely think if you want to give rid of NMC, giving out Player or Team Options in contracts like for example a 6 year contract with an opt-out after Year 4 or 5 year contract with an team option for a 6 year is my best idea in place on NMC.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It will never happen. NMC's are a big deal for older players with families. If anything they should just shorten contracts from 8 to 5 years.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
They already do. There are other leagues out there. Don't let the door hit you on the way out if the NHL doesn't treat you well enough...

That's the thing, they aren't NHL employees. They are employed by the teams. The fact that it's NHL or door is monopolistic, even then transfer agreements limit the option on where they can play even further.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
More trades would happen and garbage contracts would be movable. Also, eight years contracts are too long, six should be the max.
Hockey fans logic: Hey if a player knowingly chooses to engage and fights and has his brains turned to mush.... that's his problem, he's a big boy and makes his own decisions knowing the risks.

Also Hockey fans logic: Please someone protect GMs from making bad decisions as adults that they willfully enter into knowing the risks.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Just get rid of the salary cap and raise the cap floor significantly. Make owners like Melnyk actually spend on keeping talent around and/or to bring in talent.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I definitely think if you want to give rid of NMC, giving out Player of Team Options in contracts like for example a 6 year contract with an opt-out after Year 4 or 5 year contract with an team option for a 6 year is my best idea in place on NMC.

So you want to take away players' collectively bargained NMC's AND their guarenteed contracts?
Why don't you also take their children and teeth?

What are you paying them to forfeit all these contractually protected rules?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
While not the same as getting rid of NMCs, which NHLPA would object to....What about the idea of making buyouts less painful to the team? Don't think players would object to it (they still get their money) and I don't think it would hurt the league. Maybe owners' pocket books a bit more. Not to the point that teams would abuse it by signing 8x10 year deals with the intention of buying out years 5-8 or something but when a player shits the bed ability-wise due to injury or age and drops from 95 to 65 skill level and you're stuck on the hook for 9m a season...

Honestly it makes teams not want to pay anyone over 30 long term anymore. Not sure how much it could/should be adjusted just another thought as to the viability to address the same issue as OP but in another direction.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
So you want to take away players' collectively bargained NMC's AND their guarenteed contracts?
Why don't you also take their children and teeth?

What are you paying them to forfeit all these contractually protected rules?

Huh, I didn’t any of that. In fact Player Options give players more control as they can get more money potentially if they outperform their contract or they use as leverage to get a bigger contract if they decide to opt out.

Team Option gives the team the opportunity to either keep a player for another year or let them go if they see fit a year earlier. My point was that might be a compromise if NMC are eliminated

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Huh, I didn’t any of that. In fact Player Options give players more control as they can get more money potentially if they outperform their contract or they use as leverage to get a bigger contract if they decide to opt out.

Team Option gives the team the opportunity to either keep a player for another year or let them go if they see fit a year earlier. My point was that might be a compromise if NMC are eliminated

To be fair I think there were some spelling errors in your post. It was difficult to understand.

But If what you're saying is add a player option in exchange for taking away NMC, I don't think it's enough.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
What in the world does the media have to do with anything? For you to specify "Canadian" media speaks volumes. Why do you hate Canada so much? Hypocrisy is seldom cute.
I live in Canada. The media can be brutal towards hockey players. It's not fair at all. Guys want to avoid that, so they have nmcs to avoid playing up here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad