Should the NHL get rid of NMC’s?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because players having more power and control ( i.e not getting shafted) means teams having less options to trade and improve and most fans spend time pondering how their own team would be better if rule a or rule b didn't exist. Either way, I don't see the NHLPA giving up anything without some sort of return from the owners.
Getting rid of the salary cap structure would shaft the owners and give teams a lot more options.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Not a bad idea, considering contracts are guaranteed and getting rid of a bad one is practically impossible without the NMCs as standard buyouts are a massive hindrance.
I think they should just soften the impact of buyouts, tbh.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It’s not worth a lockout. A GM also doesn’t have to hand those out. A see maybe a star player getting it but theirs so many players that probably don’t even deserve it that get it nowadays.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
We are talking about NMC not NTC. Basically the difference is a a NTC you can still put a player on waivers and send them to the AHL if he sucks a NMC you can't. As I said if I was part of the 95% I would be more then willing to sacrifice the NMC for some small concession(say like a raise in the minimum salary)
Who cares though
A player with a NMC and a player with a NTC still gets paid their yearly wage if they are benched. It just consumes a roster spot.
This is more about player livelihood stability than money imo. That's why the NHLPA wouldn't budge on it - the players get paid either way but the value of geographical stability for one's children is sometimes something money can't buy. This is why NTCs and NMCs are usually a bigger sticking point for veteran players who are more likely to have children of school age.

Reactions: Just Linda

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who cares though
A player with a NMC and a player with a NTC still gets paid their yearly wage if they are benched. It just consumes a roster spot.
This is more about player livelihood stability than money imo. That's why the NHLPA wouldn't budge on it - the players get paid either way but the value of geographical stability for one's children is sometimes something money can't buy. This is why NTCs and NMCs are usually a bigger sticking point for veteran players who are more likely to have children of school age.

Once again playing the 5% vs 95% card, how many in that 95% range get NMCs? To me getting rid of the NMC(but not the NTC) is a way to still give teams a way to get rid of that player(even if it only saves them 1M dollars in payroll). It also gives them some roster flexibility say if they already have their 23 man roster set and don't want to lose a player on waivers in that 23 man group.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah the issue here is NHLPA would never go for it. If I had to guess, NMC is an absolute huge benefit for players, it's not something they'd give up on easily

In theory would fans prefer this concept? Sure, I think so. I would too. But it would never happen

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
How many players get NMCs? Maybe 5%. If this is a 95% vs 5% issue does it really need a a big concession, it just needs one that panders to the 95%
If it's only 5% is it something that needs addressed by CBA change or do GMs just need to be more careful?

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
What I'd like to see is ability to retain cap for partial term on a player...for example, $6m player has 3 years left, trading team can retain for 2 years and receiving team takes full hit last year of contract. All it becomes is added flexibility.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Players who have NMC typically earned them and I don't have an issue with them. Yes, NMC prevent teams from waiving guys but they are usually given to guys that you wouldn't risk putting on waivers in a million years.

Stamkos and Kucherov for example took less money to stay in Tampa and got NMC's as a reward.... i.e. they can spend the rest of their career there if they want to without risk of being moved out of the blue. Likewise with Bergeron + Marchand.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
My sympathies are with the leadership of the league.
The 27/7 rule - hurts the NHL. The benefits of draft picks continue to diminish.
Player contract AAV (RFA) - not very different from player contract AAV (UFA).
The league leadership must take the toughest possible bargaining position.
It is advisable to split the players into opposing groups.

Objectives:
1. Ensure that ELC do not count towards the 27/7 rule.
2. Make it as easy as possible for GM to negotiate with RFA players.
3. Do not take into account the amount of players' contracts (including those with NMC) in the salary ceiling (if the hockey player has not played (for any reason) for more than three months). An analogue of LTIR is needed.

Many more sentences can be written. Explaining them in detail. But this is not required. :)

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
You threw around clauses to get players to sign for less and are now in trouble because you can't move said players over something that benefited you initially? I say, get f***ed, you reap what you sow.

Reactions: SwedishFire

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why is it always the players getting shafted on here?

Because fans only look at it through the perspective of their team's salary cap. Completely narrow minded.

Every time I see suggestions of "let's get rid of the salary cap" or "let's get rid of NTCs", it really reminds me of how disconnected most NHL fans are with how the league actually works :laugh:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
screw those players that want to keep their family rooted in one location for the duration of their contract. Move those bums every 3 years.

They making millions of dollars playing a sport there family can live wherever the f*** they want in the world. Players have their rights to negotiate contracts and NTC/NMCs. But please dont try and create sympathy for them.

Reactions: Garthinater

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think they should just soften the impact of buyouts, tbh.

For sure. Guaratneed contracts + salary cap = very few trades/player movement. Making the buyouts easier to swallow would open things up a bunch, maybe 1/2 over twice the life instead of 2/3, but the money can still be 2/3s.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
For sure. Guaratneed contracts + salary cap = very few trades/player movement. Making the buyouts easier to swallow would open things up a bunch, maybe 1/2 over twice the life instead of 2/3, but the money can still be 2/3s.
Whatever it is, buyouts should provide more relief than burying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad