Should the NHL adopt the NBA's new jersey system?

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
The solution to this is simple, the traveling team travels with their primary darks only. The home team can be the one to choose the contrasting uniform, whether they are another color or white

I feel like that’s basically what I just said :laugh:
Though the only thing I’d change is that the road team travels on their road trip with whatever color Jersey they want.. and the home team accommodates.

Reactions: yukoner88

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
This should absolutely not be allowed. The NHL isn't allowed to be fun. It's super serious. We're the most serious sport there is. Get pucks in deep. Shots on net. I am a plank of wood.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'd be down for the teams to get solid colors for their team instead of solid - white
Some examples from FEL, notice that my point is only centered around the team colors, no need to harp on the ads.
View attachment 446579
View attachment 446580

It would also be pretty decent if teams would be able to primarily play with a white home jersey if they wanted to. This in addition to 3rd, 4th or even 5th jerseys.
Those look like the really old NHL all-star game jerseys that were used from the early 70s to 1993.

As for the OP, no need.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I wonder how many hockey fans are on the NBA equivalent of this forum telling them where they are going wrong.

I see adverts as inevitable on jerseys (not to the extent as in Europe) but NBA/soccer shirts where teams have countless varieties in the colour schemes should be avoided. If you love your team you bleed their colours. Not a one-off time coloured shirt with no relevancy to the team nor the city/region and history it comes from.

NHL is a niche sport pulling in millions worldwide and so far largely without this 'casual fan' phenomenon that folks keep bringing up. If anything that's impressive. ESPN deal might be a shrewd move in future to pull in new fans but otherwise it stands on its own fine.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
It's not a good idea. I don't even necessarily mind the idea of teams having another sweater at their disposal, but the reason why the NHL went back to dark home/white road is because bringing the uniform equipment for multiple sets is a pain in the ass. There's much more involved in it with hockey than there is in basketball. That's also why color vs. color has never really taken off, either. In soccer leagues (in league play, anyway), you usually play one home game -> one road game -> one home game, etc., and even if you do play two games back-to-back on the road, there are several days between games. It's much easier to make color vs. color work in that sport. In basketball, again, much less equipment to carry, so you can make it work there as well. It's just not as feasible in hockey.

Lightning should definitely slap their current logo on the Retro Reverse and make that the alternate sweater, though, and bring back the home and aways from that set and call it a day. So much better.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I think I asked this the last time this thread came up - why would anyone want those jerseys/vests for qualifying for the playoffs the year before? Who cares? You might as well just have a big badge saying PARTICIPANT on it.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I feel like that’s basically what I just said :laugh:
Though the only thing I’d change is that the road team travels on their road trip with whatever color Jersey they want.. and the home team accommodates.

Something feels backwards to me about making the home team accommodate to the road team's uniform choices. It's your arena, your fans, you should be able to wear what you want.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
When Nike became the NBA's official jersey partner, the entire system changed. The league changed from the standard Home/Road/Alternate/Throwback, with additional alternates or one-off system to a new structure, calling the jerseys Association (the team's white traditionally home jersey), Icon (team's traditional color road jersey), Statement (main alternate jersey), City (somehow represents the area the team plays in), Classic (throwback), and Earned (given to all of the previous season's playoff teams, typically has gold or silver in the numbers). When teams play each other, they will wear any combinations of that season's jerseys, though obviously the teams will not wear the same color.

Would you like to see the NHL adopt this structure, instead of always seeing white on the road, and team's wearing their main homes/alts/throwbacks at home?
No but I like white home jerseys a lot.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Absolutely not. Next.

The NHL should go back to wearing white at home and darks on the road. Not sure what genius thought it was good for fans to never see opposing team's bright, fun colors in person, but it was a horrible idea. Home fans know what their team's colorful jersey looks like -- give them a chance to experience other teams' so they can be motivated to buy them.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
When Nike became the NBA's official jersey partner, the entire system changed. The league changed from the standard Home/Road/Alternate/Throwback, with additional alternates or one-off system to a new structure, calling the jerseys Association (the team's white traditionally home jersey), Icon (team's traditional color road jersey), Statement (main alternate jersey), City (somehow represents the area the team plays in), Classic (throwback), and Earned (given to all of the previous season's playoff teams, typically has gold or silver in the numbers). When teams play each other, they will wear any combinations of that season's jerseys, though obviously the teams will not wear the same color.

Would you like to see the NHL adopt this structure, instead of always seeing white on the road, and team's wearing their main homes/alts/throwbacks at home?

Once the NHL starts selling ad space on the jerseys and the jerseys start to look like European league jerseys, will it even matter any more?
Soon you'll have pink jersey day for breast cancer, rainbow jersey for pride day, green jerseys for saint pattys day, black jerseys for BLM.

The Oregon Ducks model plus European advertisement style is probably the way all sports are going in the next 10-20 years. More trash to sell and more advertising dollars to gain. And people will buy them.

Now if it were up to me, teams would have a home and away with one alternate and no advertisements on their jerseys at all. But it's not up to me, it's up to the bean counters in the league offices.

Either way, the NHL will go in the direction of where the money is.

Also f*** the NBA. The NBA, its cyclical bandwagon/fair weather fans, and its players are literal cancer. Unrelated but I stopped watching the NBA after LeVoldemort created that super team in Miami. League quality has been absolute shit tier since then.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No. Emphatically no.

NHL teams have too many jerseys now and "update" them with minor cosmetic changes too often. Fewer alternates and less changes would be better.

The NBA is a farce.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm going with a hell yea, I am totally on board with the league doing this.

Variety is good. Keeping things fresh is good. Yeah, stick to your basic home and away every year, but I don't give a shit if teams want to have 4 or 5 different alternate looks that change up every year. Sports are supposed to be fun, lets have some fun with it.

And nothing cracks me up more than talking about the sacred looks of teams. Reminds me of the aneurysms that people had over the Canes audacity to clap in a circle after a win.

Reactions: frag2 and MMC

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
NO. I'm only smart enough to remember 3 colors and I don't appreciate being intentionally confused by the NHL, especially since I'm a real fan.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I don't care what shirts the players wear unless they are total eyesores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad