Should the NHL adopt the NBA's new jersey system?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
When Nike became the NBA's official jersey partner, the entire system changed. The league changed from the standard Home/Road/Alternate/Throwback, with additional alternates or one-off system to a new structure, calling the jerseys Association (the team's white traditionally home jersey), Icon (team's traditional color road jersey), Statement (main alternate jersey), City (somehow represents the area the team plays in), Classic (throwback), and Earned (given to all of the previous season's playoff teams, typically has gold or silver in the numbers). When teams play each other, they will wear any combinations of that season's jerseys, though obviously the teams will not wear the same color.

Would you like to see the NHL adopt this structure, instead of always seeing white on the road, and team's wearing their main homes/alts/throwbacks at home?

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Please no. Are sporting events now fashion shows? NFL color rush games are horrible. Lots of brilliant ideas, like, lets dress one team in red and the other in green, that could NEVER lead to a problem. NBA had the same stupid problem this year, one team wore red and the other wore orange. Thankfully, one of the teams had to change at halftime.

Reactions: Morrison

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No. The SWEATER Epidemic is getting stupider by the season. I guess if people are willing to spend well earned [or not well earned] good money on 18 new styles every year I'd keep doing it to. Seems dumb to me.

Reactions: TimStrickland

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Nike just isn't a good fit for the NHL.
On a more general note I wish the reverse retro was just simply retro, for ex the Caps blue eagle that OV wore as a rookie should be one of their unies. The meth bear for the bruins and also fisherman for Isles would be cool to see like twice a year

Last edited:
Reactions: AD Skinner

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Alternative but more honest phrasing for the question: should the NHL treat its fans like even bigger suckers by trying to get them to buy more crap like the NBA does?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
When Nike became the NBA's official jersey partner, the entire system changed. The league changed from the standard Home/Road/Alternate/Throwback, with additional alternates or one-off system to a new structure, calling the jerseys Association (the team's white traditionally home jersey), Icon (team's traditional color road jersey), Statement (main alternate jersey), City (somehow represents the area the team plays in), Classic (throwback), and Earned (given to all of the previous season's playoff teams, typically has gold or silver in the numbers). When teams play each other, they will wear any combinations of that season's jerseys, though obviously the teams will not wear the same color.

Would you like to see the NHL adopt this structure, instead of always seeing white on the road, and team's wearing their main homes/alts/throwbacks at home?

In Vincent Vega voice: "a sample would be nice"....

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Good idea or not, the NHL would be dumb not to do it. The Reverse Retros sold like hot cakes. If they had a line of 4 or 5 jerseys for all the teams they would make bank

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't like how many jerseys they have
Detroit has had approximately two jerseys (home and away) for 87 years and it's classic and historic
The NBA teams hardly have identities anymore
If I watch the Miami heat, am I getting red/black, black/red, yellow/black, blue/pink, black/pink/orange, blue/pink/black, red/white/orange/black, or something else? It's ridiculous
Sometimes the designs are cool but just pick one and stick to it
If you quickly looked at a game in some cases you couldn't even tell which teams were playing.

Reactions: iamjs and Samus

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Hockey jerseys aren't the same as basketball jerseys. The former is a lot harder to get right than the latter, and an ugly hockey jersey is way more of an eyesore than ugly basketball jerseys.

I'm not opposed just to be a contrarian boomer like the rest of the thread, I just don't think it's a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00