Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In order for the Jets to take the next step forward, they need to rid themselves of the entire Atlanta stench. That includes Little, Buff and Wheeler.

Total games as a Thrasher:

Wheeler: 23
Byfuglien: 81

Total games as a Jet:

Wheeler: 443
Byfuglien: 409

I've never really understood why playing for the Thrashers was such a bad thing. Besides, after this season, we will only have four players left from the Thrasher days (Pavelec and Enstrom will be gone).

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Total games as a Thrasher:

Wheeler: 23
Byfuglien: 81

Total games as a Jet:

Wheeler: 443
Byfuglien: 409

I've never really understood why playing for the Thrashers was such a bad thing. Besides, after this season, we will only have four players left from the Thrasher days (Pavelec and Enstrom will be gone).

Enstrom has 1 year left. Think you meant Thorburn

So we'd have buff little wheeler Stuart and Enstrom left

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't get the Atlanta narative either especially for Wheeler and Buff. That's like saying that the Jets are losing because version 1.0 sucked also. Should have called them the Winnipeg Falcons.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jet's Should Sign Little

I like the way Little plays, he's very consistent, and a great playmaker and also has great hands to score goials. He's a complete center, and likely a # 2 centerman. He also likes playing in Winnipeg, and that kind of spirit is important.
If you think he's to old look at San Jose, with Joe Thorton, and Marleau-I'd say their not doing to badly at all. I think the Jet's should try to sign him over 4-5 years, at around $ 5 mil per season. I don't think you can go wrong, and he's playing really well this year.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You would know better than I would if their competitive window is now, but my guess is, we need more than a goalie and a LHD to be a cup contender. IMO, it would make sense to trade him at the deadline and get a Ladd like return for him.

I like Little, but the Jets keep on re-signing players for a team that has made the playoffs once in 6 years. Tear it down and build it back up, which is what should have happened a few years ago.

This is my issue with management

We know we need to resign Buff, Ladd, Little, Wheeler
They wait til last minute to do something and get a weak return(I think ladds return was weak) or we sign a crummy contract(MP and buff)
Now we're stuck wondering if we should resign Little who's our best player

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
A very easy yes to signing Little. 5.5 would be a good number and I don't think he's going to fall off a cliff playing into his mid 30's.

Pav's contract is off the books this season and if Enstrom is re-signed it won't be anywhere near his current 5.5 number. If money is tight when the kids come up, I'd move Perreault before losing Little.

I voted in the 5.5 option, but I should have chosen the second option as I think even up to 6 (with the cap going up) he should be re-signed. He's a huge piece of the team.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I don't get the Atlanta narative either especially for Wheeler and Buff. That's like saying that the Jets are losing because version 1.0 sucked also. Should have called them the Winnipeg Falcons.

No it's not like saying that
Thrashers players are no good
Notice all the players from the thrashers that don't play for the Jets anymore? Notice how their careers have been after they left?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
A very easy yes to signing Little. 5.5 would be a good number and I don't think he's going to fall off a cliff playing into his mid 30's.

Pav's contract is off the books this season and if Enstrom is re-signed it won't be anywhere near his current 5.5 number. If money is tight when the kids come up, I'd move Perreault before losing Little.

I voted in the 5.5 option, but I should have chosen the second option as I think even up to 6 (with the cap going up) he should be re-signed. He's a huge piece of the team.

little never played an overly physical game but does block shots. he will be a great player until 34/35.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Too early to say, no need to make a decision yet.

Nov 24, 2006
My personal feelings are that Bryan Little is replaceable by Perreault. The money is better spend on our soon to be future RFAs and a LHD. 6 years on a 29 year centre is an unnecessary gamble.

So, we would be one Mark Scheifele injury away from Matthew Perreault being the Jets #1 centre? Shudder.

Centre depth is critical, and Bryan Little is fantastic right where he is behind Scheifele. A must re-sign IMO, and hopefully for 3 - 5 years max.

BTW, strange poll options. Need another option or two.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Little should be traded if there is a trade out there that makes the Jets better. If not sign him for up to five years at the going rate. It's that simple. You find cap space elsewhere with parts that are interchangeable. Stu for example.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Little should be traded if there is a trade out there that makes the Jets better. If not sign him for up to five years at the going rate. It's that simple. You find cap space elsewhere with parts that are interchangeable. Stu for example.

Jets can't get better by trading Little til we get a better centre than Little and the Jets don't have that
I think Scheifele is the better offensive centre, but Little is better in the dot and has a better 2 way play

If we get rid of Little the Jets become a 1 line team lol

Should be looking to move guys like buff, not trying to get rid of Little
Backasswards

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No it's not like saying that
Thrashers players are no good
Notice all the players from the thrashers that don't play for the Jets anymore? Notice how their careers have been after they left?

Oduya went on to win multiple cups? Many of the guys retired. Hainsey has been just fine since he left.

Jets can't get better by trading Little til we get a better centre than Little and the Jets don't have that
I think Scheifele is the better offensive centre, but Little is better in the dot and has a better 2 way play

If we get rid of Little the Jets become a 1 line team lol

Should be looking to move guys like buff, not trying to get rid of Little
Backasswards

Ok I am officially confused now, are you saying all the Thrasher players are a55 but Little is good?

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
If Chevy thinks the Thrasher legacy should be prolonged 5 more years, then sure, re-sign Little Brian and next year, Blake Wheeler because they are above average NHL players. However, Chevy's 7-year draft and develop plan will see a logjam of Thrasher vets Buff, Little, Wheeler and Enstrom (because let handed shooting puck moving defencemen are a premium these days.

Winnipeg Jets 2 fans want Chevy to stop talking out of two sides of his mouth. Either truly draft and develop and cut ties with Little, Enstrom and Wheeler when their contracts expire or see the same .500 season record for the next 5 seasons. Concerning Mark Stuart and Chris Thorburn, buy out their contracts. Trade Buff for draft picks.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If Chevy thinks the Thrasher legacy should be prolonged 5 more years, then sure, re-sign Little Brian and next year, Blake Wheeler because they are above average NHL players. However, Chevy's 7-year draft and develop plan will see a logjam of Thrasher vets Buff, Little, Wheeler and Enstrom (because let handed shooting puck moving defencemen are a premium these days.

Winnipeg Jets 2 fans want Chevy to stop talking out of two sides of his mouth. Either truly draft and develop and cut ties with Little, Enstrom and Wheeler when their contracts expire or see the same .500 season record for the next 5 seasons. Concerning Mark Stuart and Chris Thorburn, buy out their contracts. Trade Buff for draft picks.

So you think there's something inherent in the character of all of Buff, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom (and Stu and Thorbz) that's holding back the Jets? And you're sure there's no such flaw in Ehlers, Trouba (wanted/wants out!), Myers, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Laine, etc.?

The only Thrasher I think it should've been imperative to cut ties with was Ondrej Pavelec 4 years ago.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Oduya went on to win multiple cups? Many of the guys retired. Hainsey has been just fine since he left.

Ok I am officially confused now, are you saying all the Thrasher players are a55 but Little is good?

There were more thrashers than just Oduya and he gets pawned off to Stately cup contenders

Little and Wheeler are the only good players left
Byfuglien isn't a 7 mil player, but winnipeg thought it was a good idea to pay him that much

Problem with Wheeler isn't Wheeler, but management

So you think there's something inherent in the character of all of Buff, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom (and Stu and Thorbz) that's holding back the Jets? And you're sure there's no such flaw in Ehlers, Trouba (wanted/wants out!), Myers, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Laine, etc.?

The only Thrasher I think it should've been imperative to cut ties with was Ondrej Pavelec 4 years ago.

? Vets vs very young kids who put up stats as good if not better

No Pavelec isn't the only player
I'm not expert, but basically how I felt about the trashers players is turning out what I expected
Everybody loves byfuglien's big hits
That ain't worth 7 mil
If there was a time to trade him it should've been when he had better value
Same goes with Ladd and Pavs
The Jets hold out and wait until their trade Value has already past it's peak and then we get meh out of it
Big waste of time and money for everyone

Last edited:

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I'm seeing a lot of low IQ arguments here. Truly shocks me that people think that because a few players played on the Thrashers for 20-30 games, they'll make us a .500 team for as long they're here. That's not how hockey, or any sport works. Get a clue.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm seeing a lot of low IQ arguments here. Truly shocks me that people think that because a few players played on the Thrashers for 20-30 games, they'll make us a .500 team for as long they're here. That's not how hockey, or any sport works. Get a clue.

It has nothing to do with them wearing a thrashers jersey
Are you not aware of how bad the thrashers were?
the thrashers sucked at drafting and trading
Thrashers were made up of Mediocre players at best

The Jets have made it to the playoffs once...
Thrashers once
So that's twice from 1999 to 2017 lol
They're 0-8

Last edited:

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
No kidding eh?

Trouba is clearly a no go. Even if he still wants out we would need D help for him.

I heard it was reported that they wanted an A prospect a B prospect and a 1st.

What constitutes an A prospect and a B prospect in this context, would you know?

In terms of the Jets, I think that would mean Connor, Roslovic, and a first round pick, presumably this year. Roslovic is on the high side for a B prospect, certainly. For that matter, I'd argue that all of the three, the a, the b, and the pick would all be higher than they'd get from that "formula" elsewhere.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Ladd was our Captain and look at him now... you wanna keep holding on to that?
Get some value out of these guys and put them on a good team
What's so hard to get about that?
They're great players on good teams, but they're not players that are gonna be the key to winnipeg's success
The younger guys are already starting to take over

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There were more thrashers than just Oduya and he gets pawned off to Stately cup contenders

Little and Wheeler are the only good players left
Byfuglien isn't a 7 mil player, but winnipeg thought it was a good idea to pay him that much

Problem with Wheeler isn't Wheeler, but management

We are heading into year 7 and our organization can't even differentiate a starting goalie from a back up. We have more than enough home grown problems now to own it. For better or worse this is our team now.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ladd was our Captain and look at him now... you wanna keep holding on to that?
Get some value out of these guys and put them on a good team
What's so hard to get about that?
They're great players on good teams, but they're not players that are gonna be the key to winnipeg's success
The younger guys are already starting to take over

So trade Little?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
It really depends on what his contract expectations are and what other teams are willing to offer him.

Bryan Little is definitely NOT what is wrong with this team. His value is too important to lose, and if we give him away as a rental I doubt we'll get back what he gives us. He has good point production, is responsible defensively, and is one of the few players who doesn't kill the team taking penalties.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It really is like Ladd.

If he likes being here and has no problem meeting half way on term and money? Easy move to resign him.

If he decides he's done his part for the team by playing the last 5 years, and wants to cash out with the best possible deal? (like Ladd) Well then we have to let him go.

Can't sign players to likely albatross contracts just to avoid losing them.

If his UFA value is what it's been pegged at on here at 6 years, $5.5... then our best offer should be around $6.5 for 3 years.

No problem with Chevy waiting it out to see how things change by the deadline next year. By then he will either have him signed or deal him for around what Ladd fetched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad