Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
My personal feelings are that Bryan Little is replaceable by Perreault. The money is better spend on our soon to be future RFAs and a LHD. 6 years on a 29 year centre is an unnecessary gamble.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Love Little but he turns 30 in November so I am not interested in anything long term that impedes the cap flexibility. I don't want all three of Wheeler, Little, and Buff on 5-6 year deals that are expensive. By the time we get around to actually winning a cup (if we get in that area) these guys are all complimentary pieces and need to be paid as such.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My personal feelings are that Bryan Little is replaceable by Perreault. The money is better spend on our soon to be future RFAs and a LHD. 6 years on a 29 year centre is an unnecessary gamble.

Perreault is a LW. He has shown quite clearly that he cannot handle C anymore. Why the change? Who knows? But it is what it is. Little is still a legit centre - a 1st line C no less. He is also much better than Perreault.

"6 years on a 29 year centre is an unnecessary gamble" is all you've got? Not much of a case.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Tough to be objective on this one, because I love Bryan Little. But I would consider him the most consistent and valuable vet on the team. I would keep him over Wheeler, and I think Wheels is great too.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Little is the only remaining Thrasher I would be accepting of being re-signed, but it wouldn't tear my heart out if he wasn't. If it came down to keeping one of Little or Wheeler, Little easily gets my vote.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Signing Little is an absolute must. He has been the most consistent player since this team arrived. Finding a well rounded center to replace him won't be easy. At 29 years old given the way he plays the game even we sign a 5 or 6 year deal he will still be an effective player at the tail end of that.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Little is a key piece that we don't currently have a replacement for, even if we draft a C top 10 in this year's draft. Roslovic might be a solid C prospect but he's not at Little's level yet, and may not get there. I like depth at C.

I'm not too worried about Little's production into his early to mid-30's, but I am concerned about his recent injury history. But that's a bit of bad luck vs being injury prone, imo.

$33 million over 6 years sounds about right.

Edit: I don't see Perreault (injury prone and not as productive) or Petan (still has bad jr habits and not productive enough) as legitimate replacements. Now if Chevy has to trade Trouba, and a young top 6 C is the return, then Little's replaceable obviously.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Much as I like BL I am a little concerned that he will be signed for too long. I would rather see a little higher AAV and a shorter term. I think 4x6 is about right. I'd go 5 years if necessary but that is the upper limit.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Much as I like BL I am a little concerned that he will be signed for too long. I would rather see a little higher AAV and a shorter term. I think 4x6 is about right. I'd go 5 years if necessary but that is the upper limit.

I think the offers elsewhere will be higher than 4x6. Maybe he takes a massive discount to stay with the Jets, but I think we'll have to do better to keep him.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
In order for the Jets to take the next step forward, they need to rid themselves of the entire Atlanta stench. That includes Little, Buff and Wheeler.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
6 x 5.5 is fair and he will contribute well into his 30s. he will be signed in summer. sheif little lowry roslovic will be our centres for years to come. roslovic might need 1 more year before he is ready.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think it is vital to sign him but not have a NMC. You hope Roslovic (or Patrick :naughty:) can supplant him down the road but right now he is cemented in as the 2C.

If $ are an issue I look to move Perrault. Also, Enstrom comes off the books in a year.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
In order for the Jets to take the next step forward, they need to rid themselves of the entire Atlanta stench. That includes Little, Buff and Wheeler.

Do you really think that the years they played for Atlanta are enough to continue to "poison" them 6 years later? Are you truly willing to dump a hard-working centre who's scored 38pts in 48 games, because they played for the Thrashers? Or a near point per game winger, for that matter?

The notion that the team they played for 6 years ago could "poison" them is not very grounded in logic, especially when you consider the short amount of time that Buff and Wheels played for them.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Age is worrisome for me.
He would be extremely valuable on ANY roster but if we are going youth then tough decisions must be made

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Do you really think that the years they played for Atlanta are enough to continue to "poison" them 6 years later? Are you truly willing to dump a hard-working centre who's scored 38pts in 48 games, because they played for the Thrashers? Or a near point per game winger, for that matter?

The notion that the team they played for 6 years ago could "poison" them is not very grounded in logic, especially when you consider the short amount of time that Buff and Wheels played for them.

No, I'd trade him for other assets.

Daviddd

Oct 9, 2016
He should be re-signed especially if the reports that he wants to remain a jet for his career are true, but not at the prices listed. 5 years at 5m maybe 5.5m

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Little I would want to keep, although Wheeler and buff can go for younger pieces to augment our new young core.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'd like to see what Roslovic can do in the NHL. I think he could be a natural replacement for Little. If not though you might have to keep him. We don't really have that kind of C right now (I don't think Petan is that guy).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think they need to rid themselves of the TNSE stench and how do you suggest we do that?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He should be re-signed especially if the reports that he wants to remain a jet for his career are true, but not at the prices listed. 5 years at 5m maybe 5.5m

I agree. 5 years is long enough and 5 and a half million is a bit much.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
That Kesler contract though. 6 years at 7 mil per starting at 32. Jets cannot make the same mistake. Give Little 4 or 5 max.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO

100% agree.

I really like Buff but my favorite thing about that contract is that its only 5 years. For the Buff haters at least its already 1/5 over.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Very hard to complain about his play and IMO and you need a veteran presence on a team this young. Between him and Wheeler, he's be my choice.

The question is, how is he going to look in his mid 30's - that may depend a lot on what you are paying him and expectations at that price. $5.5 to $6 might make sense considering that price point will not be expensive 5 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad