Should the Jets re-sign Bryan Little?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Can't see him signing with the Jets for anything under 6 per, how many years don't know. Think he does a Ladd and moves on, too bad when healthy he produces.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I would love to see Little in a Jets jersey for many years yet, as a contributor and mentor.

But the "I'm over my prime but give me a long term contract for way more than I'm worth" model in the NHL means I don't think I ever want to see anyone at that career stage sign on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the offers elsewhere will be higher than 4x6. Maybe he takes a massive discount to stay with the Jets, but I think we'll have to do better to keep him.

Probably, yes. I would go 5x6. I am more concerned with term than AAV at this point. I've seen too many players lose their games at 31-32. I'm not sure if there is an identifiable type that happens to. If it is big, strong players with marginal skills/smarts who rely on strength for their edge then maybe Bryan is safer, longer. He plays a smart game that may survive a little physical regression. But I'm really not sure that it works that way.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In order for the Jets to take the next step forward, they need to rid themselves of the entire Atlanta stench. That includes Little, Buff and Wheeler.

This is just a completely nonsensical idea. There is no factual basis for it whatsoever. If there was anything to it then the Winnipeg stench would be at least as bad. You better just trade all the players and then move the team out of town - to someplace that only has winners. :shakehead

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Little is a key piece that we don't currently have a replacement for, even if we draft a C top 10 in this year's draft. Roslovic might be a solid C prospect but he's not at Little's level yet, and may not get there. I like depth at C.

I'm not too worried about Little's production into his early to mid-30's, but I am concerned about his recent injury history. But that's a bit of bad luck vs being injury prone, imo.

$33 million over 6 years sounds about right.

Edit: I don't see Perreault (injury prone and not as productive) or Petan (still has bad jr habits and not productive enough) as legitimate replacements. Now if Chevy has to trade Trouba, and a young top 6 C is the return, then Little's replaceable obviously.

This sums up my thoughts. We don't have a replacement in the system so I would bring him back. If need be move out Perrault and even Wheeler in a couple of years if we are under a bit of a cap crunch.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I would love to see Little in a Jets jersey for many years yet, as a contributor and mentor.

But the "I'm over my prime but give me a long term contract for way more than I'm worth" model in the NHL means I don't think I ever want to see anyone at that career stage sign on.

That's the big worry for me. Our salary cap dollars will be at a premium soon with many mouths to feed. I'd love him on the team for 4 to 5 years, but we'd have to eventually sacrifice another player, like Perreault, to make it work.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He should be re-signed especially if the reports that he wants to remain a jet for his career are true, but not at the prices listed. 5 years at 5m maybe 5.5m

We have had him at bargain prices till now. He is still a legit 1C, though not an elite one. You just don't get 1C's for 5 mil after their ELC's have expired. 5.5 would be another 'home team discount'.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO

I'd also like to see him play longer. He's smart enough that I think he could contribute for at least 4 or 5 more years pretty good.
re the bold:
It's weird that it works that way. I don't like it either but I'm not sure how to fix it short of making UFA earlier which could hurt teams like Winnipeg (ie - Trouba may likely be long gone).

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Sign him for 5.5 x 5 (6 years if you absolutely have to) and trade Wheeler or Buff before Laine's ELC is up. Little is the most consistent vet on the team. That's huge for a team that struggles so badly with consistency.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Come to appreciate Brian Little's game over the years, along with his professionalism and leadership. I see nothing in his game that would suggest a steep drop off in productivity, over the next several seasons.

Liked his exit interview last season, before we knew that we were getting Laine, were he said he hopes to be here when the team starts winning. He sees the young talent coming up, and he realizes he maybe playing more of a support role at that point.

If we reatain Little, are we saying goodbye to Wheeler?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Come to appreciate Brian Little's game over the years, along with his professionalism and leadership. I see nothing in his game that would suggest a steep drop off in productivity, over the next several seasons.

Liked his exit interview last season, before we knew that we were getting Laine, were he said he hopes to be here when the team starts winning. He sees the young talent coming up, and he realizes he maybe playing more of a support role at that point.

If we reatain Little, are we saying goodbye to Wheeler?

It will depend on what a 33 year Wheeler wants on what will likely be one of his last contracts imo.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
The guy puts up 60 pts/82 games over the past 5 years (1B/2A #s) and some of you guys want to low ball him? I'd drive Perreault to the airport myself if it meant re-signing Little for 5 years. Expecting young guys to fill major roles is how you wind up like this year with Helle floundering with nobody to provide support.

DougieSmail

Feb 11, 2017
Need to figure out a way to re sign him. Teams search forever for productive 2nd line centres.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am in the camp to pay him upto and including 6 million. 2nd line Centers like him who are in all reality 1B are not easy to find. Many teams have spent years trying to find a 2nd line C (Isles, Hawks). Some think that Roslovic can fill the boots but I am not letting Little go until I know for sure. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

DougieSmail

Feb 11, 2017
I am in the camp to pay him upto and including 6 million. 2nd line Centers like him who are in all reality 1B are not easy to find. Many teams have spent years trying to find a 2nd line C (Isles, Hawks). Some think that Roslovic can fill the boots but I am not letting Little go until I know for sure. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

I'm old enough to remember when the entire league was trying to acquire Rod Brind'Amour to be their 2nd line centre. Incredibly tough to find.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Little turned out to be a great signing on this current contract. I was very skeptical when he signed it but was glad I was wrong. He turned out to be out most consistent guy.
I'd be happy with 5 x 5.5 or 6 I'd that kept him here. Hopefully he will take a team friendly contract to stay.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
If we want to compete for a Stanley Cup Bryan Little needs to be a part of our team for the next six years. I'm hearing arguments around town that he's replaceable because Perreault! or Petan! or Roslovic! ... Absolutely not.

DougieSmail

Feb 11, 2017
I also wouldn't include Little in that Atlanta group that many feel you can't win with. I fear Buff may be that guy though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The guy puts up 60 pts/82 games over the past 5 years (1B/2A #s) and some of you guys want to low ball him? I'd drive Perreault to the airport myself if it meant re-signing Little for 5 years. Expecting young guys to fill major roles is how you wind up like this year with Helle floundering with nobody to provide support.

This is a good post and one that adds balance. I just look at how things usually work out with signing the 30 year old types in the NHL these days to long term deals and it usually doesn't end up very well or at least there is allot more risk. I am a huge Little fan and he "has been" a very productive centre its just that I hate the risk of fall off that comes with the older players now. I would take Little ahead of Wheeler if I had to choose one of the two.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I also wouldn't include Little in that Atlanta group that many feel you can't win with. I fear Buff may be that guy though.

I would put Buff in the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley cup winning group where he cut his teeth. He was only in Atlanta 7 months and he has been in Winnipeg 6 years so take your pick but Atlanta was a rounding error.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean I love Little, super underrated player, but once he's outplayed by Roslovic, he's going to be spending his career on the third line. Love to have him because he'd provide a very good veteran presence to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad