Salary Cap: Should Mac T have used a buy out on Hemsky ?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am a Hemsky fan and I can tell you it drove me nuts to see him give up on the play as soon as it turned down ice. Very frustrating... However, that was a long time ago, before he got injured and then some. You sure you are not just remembering from further back because you cant shake that memory?

It used to happen too frequently. It very rarely has happened for a long while now.

And the practice stuff was a lot more recent. lol. I remember seeing it for the first time on here when he was doing his contract negotiations... that's only a year ago.

His on ice compete is defiantly worthy of leadership. Not a letter level, but still solid. Off ice I would assume not, he was always quiet.

His offsides this last year were terrible. Skating along the blue line... wtf. lol.

He just hasn't reached the level everyone thought he would and offensively even took a step back.

But one thing that just isn't true, and that is that Hemsky doesn't have enough talent. The guy has tons of talent. I think he just needs some new scenery.

Talent has never been Hemsky's problem, hockey IQ has been a big knock though IMO. Hopefully if he's here this season he does well and plays hard and he either helps us get to the postseason or fetches us a good deadline day return or maybe more of a player for player type of a return.

Billybaroo*

He's slow but I'd take him on a third line deal and I'd be very comfortable with him playing with Nuge and Ebs as well.

If your comfortable with him, then you are comfortable with Smyth too.
Why anybody wants another boat anchor, nevermind for undoubtedly more than 1 year, is beyond me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if the big reason Hemsky never was dealt was because MacT wanted a lot for him. Didn't Rishaug mention something about a deal that didn't get done at TDD because ST wasn't sure, but it was something we shouldn't have said no to?

Maybe MacT saw what he was getting offered for Hemsky and knows what was offered at TDD and decided that maybe it's in his best interest to hold onto Hemsky until the market comes around.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Theres dozens more seriously injury-damaged NHL superstars out there who make more money than Hemsky.

I don't necessarily buy his injury history/caphit as a hinderance on his trade value.

Yeah but Hemsky is not, has never been, nor will he ever be, a superstar. Marian Gaborik is if anything, even more injury prone than Hemsky, he's also a vastly superior hockey player. Fact: teams are willing to pay a good price for Gaborik, no team is willing to pay a good price for Hemsky.
Bravo sir .... well said - especially the bit about the shiny new toys. Some fans on this board have memories like fleas. :clap:
Say the Hemsky defenders who claim Hemsky is some warrior who gives his effort every shift, even though anyone with a clue could see his lack of effort in 2011-2012.
Let's say we buy out Hemsky. Who could we realistically add for that $5M that could give us the production Hemsky could?

And before you go after trade candidates, who do we really have to trade? Marincin and next years 1st rounder won't bring back much.

Also, you can count out RFAs, as we won't be signing players to an offer sheet anytime soon. As for Grabovski, he's not going to take a big pay cut and he won't sign to be a 3rd liner.

IMO, keep Hemsky on the roster and lets see if his health and team play(under Eakins) catch up to his skill, and he'll help us win games and his trade value could jump to a more realistic level at the deadline.
:help:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Do third-liners necessarily have to be big or physical energy players?

Or do they only tend to be that way because most team salary is spent on skill guys for the first two lines?

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Yeah but Hemsky is not, has never been, nor will he ever be, a superstar. Marian Gaborik is if anything, even more injury prone than Hemsky, he's also a vastly superior hockey player. Fact: teams are willing to pay a good price for Gaborik, no team is willing to pay a good price for Hemsky.

Say the Hemsky defenders who claim Hemsky is some warrior who gives his effort every shift, even though anyone with a clue could see his lack of effort in 2011-2012.

:help:

Hemsky was an absolute warrior for years, and to deny that is just being purposely obtuse.
Maybe he was mailing it in that season, but do you blame him? The organization has been trying to shuttle him outta town since the new kids came in, they have totally marginalized him as a player, the media and some fans like you have been attacking his character since they realized he's not a 90 point player and will never be a 90 point player.

He was asked to carry the mail offensively for years, while playing with the brad winchesters, Toby petersons' and Shawn horcoffs of the world, (and yes I know he had a prime Ryan smyth as well, but hemsky drove the oilers offence) and still was almost a point a game player. And what does he get for all that? People running him down and attacking his character with baseless rumours :shakehead. He deserves a ****in medal for putting up with this organization and its memory challenged fans. And I hope he flourishes with another team and wins a cup when he does leave, he deserves it after putting up with the ridiculous **** and abuse he's taken here recently.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hemsky was an absolute warrior for years, and to deny that is just being purposely obtuse.
Maybe he was mailing it in that season, but do you blame him? The organization has been trying to shuttle him outta town since the new kids came in, they have totally marginalized him as a player, the media and some fans like you have been attacking his character since they realized he's not a 90 point player and will never be a 90 point player.

He was asked to carry the mail offensively for years, while playing with the brad winchesters, Toby petersons' and Shawn horcoffs of the world, (and yes I know he had a prime Ryan smyth as well, but hemsky drove the oilers offence) and still was almost a point a game player. And what does he get for all that? People running him down and attacking his character with baseless rumours :shakehead. He deserves a ****in medal for putting up with this organization and its memory challenged fans. And I hope he flourishes with another team and wins a cup when he does leave, he deserves it after putting up with the ridiculous **** and abuse he's taken here recently.

Since I don't post with this type of, how shall we term it, Inyourfaceness....I applaude you. :handclap:

This is pretty much exactly what I've been thinking, but could not put it into words.
We shouldn't forget what some players have contributed to this team over the last 10 years.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Since I don't post with this type of, how shall we term it, Inyourfaceness....I applaude you. :handclap:

This is pretty much exactly what I've been thinking, but could not put it into words.
We shouldn't forget what some players have contributed to this team over the last 10 years.

Thank you :) I don't post alot, I tend to be more of a lurker, but there are some things that absolutely have to be said around here. And every now and then I'll crawl out from under my rock to say them.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
You don't buy out a player with a good set of skills like Hemsky. When Hemsky is playing smart and is on the ball with his dekes, he can be one of the best dekers in the League.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site

This about sums it up for me.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

Agree 300%

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Thank you :) I don't post alot, I tend to be more of a lurker, but there are some things that absolutely have to be said around here. And every now and then I'll crawl out from under my rock to say them.
Yup the guy is now hated by certain fans for playing balls to the wall in his career , getting injured by going into hard areas and taking cheap shots cause the team was to stupid to have protection for our stars. One thing I can't stand about our fan base the hate towards heart and soul players on the ice aka Hemmer and Gagner, and even this season with Eberle has a little regression and some fans wanting to feed him to the lions.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

:handclap: I'll be another to applaud this post.

Oct 15, 2008

You have no clue.

And you are calling people obtuse.

Hilarious.

You think people are making this stuff up out of thin air? What purpose would that serve? Do we not all want to see the team and it's players succeed? Inform yourself. Go watch some practices and tell me what kind of effort you see Hemsky putting in. Watch him saunter to the bench on shift changes. The guy simply doesnt give a **** anymore.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Preach on sir. You are speaking for the majority of the board - the fans who can be objective and appreciate the entire body of work.

You are absolutely on the money when you say Hemsky should get a medal (and half of Horc's money) for dragging that pylon behind him for most of his career. And for playing reckless and risking his health even when the games didn't mean squat because management had already decided to lose on purpose all through his prime years.

Those two things alone - never mind the multitude of jaw-dropping goals he has scored in this town - should have earned him the respect of every Oil fan.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com

agreed

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
You have no clue.

Hilarious.

You think people are making this stuff up out of thin air? What purpose would that serve? Do we not all want to see the team and it's players succeed? Inform yourself. Go watch some practices and tell me what kind of effort you see Hemsky putting in. Watch him saunter to the bench on shift changes. The guy simply doesnt give a **** anymore.
I've seen Smyth, Horcoff,Hall, and Eberle acting the same way in some practices lately too. Hemsky has obviously lost motivation, but the entire team is getting beat down by losing.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Preach on sir. You are speaking for the majority of the board - the fans who can be objective and appreciate the entire body of work.

You are absolutely on the money when you say Hemsky should get a medal (and half of Horc's money) for dragging that pylon behind him for most of his career. And for playing reckless and risking his health even when the games didn't mean squat because management had already decided to lose on purpose all through his prime years.

Those two things alone - never mind the multitude of jaw-dropping goals he has scored in this town - should have earned him the respect of every Oil fan.

Wait what? You call that objective? The Hemsky lovefest here is purely subjective, and based off fans' fond memories of a player from 3 years ago, and not the present one. You know what's an objective summary of Hemsky?

-Hemsky is earning over 5 million dollars per season
-Hemsky is not performing like a player earning 5 million dollars per season
-Hemsky earned that contract based off play from 3 years ago
-Hemsky is not the same player he was 3 years ago
-Hemsky was actively and openly shopped by Craig MacTavish
-Hemsky had no takers

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
You have no clue.

Hilarious.

Point out one thing that isn't true in what he said instead of insulting the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad