Salary Cap: Should Mac T have used a buy out on Hemsky ?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Been thinking , with the Oilers getting close to the cap ,while . Should Mac T have used a buy out on Hemsky ? Also could have Nick Schultz in here as well .

Hemsky play has decline since 2006 . I think injuries may have caught up with him or as Mac T has said he became use to losing and need a change .

Looking at our bottom 6 need for size , speed , grit , with some offence chipped in . I think 5 million could be spent better else where . there are still some good player available that could help us complete now and as they are UFA they do not cost assets so it does not hurt our future .

One other thing as i am not sure of can a buy out be used this late into the summer , Can we ?

Looking for thoughts from fellow Oilers fans . I do not always get to see them play since i moved back to Halifax , so maybe i am missing something ,but in the games i seen Hemsky , he seems to be just along for the ride no real effort on most nights . Correct me if i am wrong .

Turrican*

1 more year won't hurt us and we could always trade him away for assets near playoff.
I'm sure SOMEONE will bite, with this being his last year.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
As long as that player can produce 40+ points on 82 games. Otherwise, resign him for less money. He may not be what he used to be, but he is can still produce some.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I don't think he should get bought out, the Oilers have the room to retain him for the remaining year and can dish him at the TD depending on the Oilers playoff positioning.

If I were Mac T I would trade him before the TD only if the return was really good based on our needs. I.E a bottom six C

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If they had a place to spend it I'd assume he would've been bought out in our second window, which may or may not still be an option.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
1 more year won't hurt us and we could always trade him away for assets near playoff.
I'm sure SOMEONE will bite, with this being his last year.

I can see this happening , but maybe it will be too late by then to make the playoffs . I love the Oilers and this proud team has been ran into the ground by Lowe . It really sad that we have become the laughing stock of the NHL . I do think things will change and when the do it will not be a small change , we will become a top team .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I agree with this 100%, besides we will be able to get something for Hemsky come trade deadline or sooner.

As i said i agree we will get something for him . But i would rather make the playoffs now . Does keeping him and not addressing our bottom 6 hurt us ?
Also 5 million would be recovered pretty quick if we made the playoffs

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
No point on buying him out. If he chips in 10 goals and 35 assists over the season, that could equal a few more wins. He is good insurance as well in case Eberle or Yak go down with an injury.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Before he broke his foot Hemsky was rather solid last year.

Before he injured his [insert body part here] Hemsky was rather solid [insert year since 2009 here].

Hopefully he stays healthy enough to net something back by the trade deadline.

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
Absolutely not, highly skilled, what an option for 3rd line scoring! Never mind that if one of the top 6 goes down he can step right in.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Is Hemsky's cap hit for this season preventing us from filling other holes? No.
Are we a better team without Hemsky than with him? Definitely not.
Does Hemsky have trade value? Maybe not to the extent we want, but yes.

Really, I can't think of any reason why we'd use our final compliance buyout on Hemsky. If we were desperate to be rid of him, we could trade him for late round draft pick and save the money. Buying him out makes absolutely no sense. None.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Absolutely yes.

Publicly stated he wants nothing to do with 3rd line minutes leading up to signing his contract and it's readily apparent that he asked Mact for a trade out in the season exit interviews. A poor fit for the 3rd line on this team regardless, and doesn't fit in with Eakin's plan going forward of strong system play either.

Doesn't make the team better while here, improves the team via better roster synergy and cooperation with his subtraction from the squad.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
No way.

To be honest, and perhaps I'm the minority, I would love to see Hemsky get 3-5 year extension. However, this extension would be at a reasonable price based on his future role as a 3rd line winger. Would 4 years at $3.0 to $3.2 be fair for Hemsky ... with him keeping in mind that he underperformed on his previous contract?

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB

Really, I can't think of any reason why we'd use our final compliance buyout on Hemsky. If we were desperate to be rid of him, we could trade him for late round draft pick and save the money. Buying him out makes absolutely no sense. None.

This X 1000

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know that I agree with point 1. Granted I do think MacT is done for now, but what happens come Oct 20th when we realized that all those depth guys are no good and we need to go out and acquire a proven 3rd liner?

Cap space isn't a big deal right now, but it could be eventually.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No way.

To be honest, and perhaps I'm the minority, I would love to see Hemsky get 3-5 year extension. However, this extension would be at a reasonable price based on his future role as a 3rd line winger. Would 4 years at $3.0 to $3.2 be fair for Hemsky ... with him keeping in mind that he underperformed on his previous contract?

What the hell? Why would you extend an injury prone player for so long?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
No to a buy out. Worst case scenario he racks up some points for us on the 2nd PP and a team offers up something near the deadline.

I still think he's going to be moved as camp get close though. After teams have finalized their RFAs and picked off any remaining UFAs. Ottawa is still my bet, after they get Cowen signed.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
No way... I definitely wouldn't buy Hemsky out, would rather keep him on the roster. Only one year left anyways.

EVBetting Site

Jun 29, 2011
Edmonton
No point on buying him out. If he chips in 10 goals and 35 assists over the season, that could equal a few more wins. He is good insurance as well in case Eberle or Yak go down with an injury.

Significant underrating of how much a win is worth. I would be pretty confident in saying that even Sidney Crosby is worth less than or around 5 wins. No chance Hemsky is worth a "few more wins". He'd probably rate out as a negative Wins Above Replacement player (no statistical basis for this, just my opinion)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad