Should Lazar Go to the WJC?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
They'll only do it if they have to. Doubt it's expected.

He's a very capable player now, I'd expect he'll be more capable next season

Further point, its not like he is struggling for points as a rookie, he has been fine offensively. He just has yet to have a goal go past the creast

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Further point, its not like he is struggling for points as a rookie, he has been fine offensively. He just has yet to have a goal go past the creast

I'm fine with his play, but I'd say the reason he has no goals is mainy because he isn't involved as the finisher on scoring chances enough.

I just don't think he really has to go to lesser leagues to learn how to score. Players have scoring abilities and tendencies or they don't. Some who have scoring ability need to get the rest of their game up so they can be used in scoring positions in the NHL. After all, as a top 6 player you're generally on the ice with the best players on the ice, not just goal scorers. There isn't much to teach lazar. With lazar you probably just have to kinda wait as he grows up and progresses up the lineup.

If he was allowed to go ahl now, maybe that's where he'd be. The biggest difference for the fan is they probably perceive him scoring in the AHL as better than him
On a bottom 6 role in the NHL. I'd say the difference long term is insignificant.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He'll probably be a 22 year old do-it-all player when he gets there. Doubt what route he takes matters much.

My opinion on that would be completely different if he had poor skating, inept defensive understanding, lack of work ethic, physical immaturity.

Fans just have a hard time watching a hyped prospect develop slowly in the NHL. It's a lot easier on fans if a prospects development is hidden from them.

30 goal year for puempel at 20 in the A is much better than him scoring 10 goals from the 3rd line in the NHL. Same player though. Not saying puempel should be in the NHL. Just saying fans would have an easier time seeing lazar put up a 55 point year in the ahl then seeing scoreless games in the NHL
Wondering if he'll lose his ability to produce.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
if he's not hurting the team, he'll be on the Sens. i guess the WJC is an option but in the end going to the gym and experience is what he needs and he'll get that wherever he is

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Murray said yesterday he doesn't think he'll let Lazar go to the camp but is fine with the tourney. Which probably isnt what TC want, but if thats the case he'd miss like 4 games.

I don't really care either way if he goes - would be fun to watch if he does but its also fun watching him in the NHL

I do believe HC has a policy, if you're not at the camp, you don't play in the tourney.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Absolutely he should.

Kid is ready for the NHL in regards to his defensive game, physical play and work ethic, but he's not ready for the league in regards to his offensive game. His passing and puckhandling need work and he isn't even getting scoring chances, let alone goals right now. I have a hard time seeing the difference between Lazar right now and guys like Pageau and Condra. If it were up to me, provided his offensive game doesn't pick up between now and Christmas, send him to the world juniors to captain Team Canada, and then back to the Oil Kings after that.

No point in rushing the kid. We know he's a tremendous defensive player, but he still needs work on his skills if he's to become the top 6 forward most of us expect him to become. Leading Team Canada to gold and playing 25 minutes a night with the Oil Kings will be better for his development than the minutes he has been playing with the big club.

I am thinking the same way. He needs to improve his offensive skills.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
from what I read in the Sun it sounds like he wants to stay, and is sort of concerned about losing his spot in the roster to one of the other centres

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well from the beginning of camp I thought Lazar should have been sent back to junior & I still do. IMO he hasn't done anything at the NHL level that I would call extraordinary enough to stay ahead of veteran players, all it has done is create a logistics problem for management. I think he will go to the WJC so that Ottawa management have more time to decide what to do with Greening or Condra or more time to talk some team into taking one of them.

If he was returned to junior this yr than next yr he could have started his pro career in Bingo where he probably belongs now. He is going to be a very good two way player some day but in the mean time he should be playing with guys his own age in the minors learning the pro game there & not in the NHL. IMO he has done nothing of significance to stay in the NHL & it seems to me more of a publicity stunt to build some interest in the team & buy more tickets having a new high profile player on the roster. He seems like a well adjusted young man & I expect this won't harm him in any way but he really should be in Bingo, not the NHL at this time in his development.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Well from the beginning of camp I thought Lazar should have been sent back to junior & I still do. IMO he hasn't done anything at the NHL level that I would call extraordinary enough to stay ahead of veteran players, all it has done is create a logistics problem for management. I think he will go to the WJC so that Ottawa management have more time to decide what to do with Greening or Condra or more time to talk some team into taking one of them.

If he was returned to junior this yr than next yr he could have started his pro career in Bingo where he probably belongs now. He is going to be a very good two way player some day but in the mean time he should be playing with guys his own age in the minors learning the pro game there & not in the NHL. IMO he has done nothing of significance to stay in the NHL & it seems to me more of a publicity stunt to build some interest in the team & buy more tickets having a new high profile player on the roster. He seems like a well adjusted young man & I expect this won't harm him in any way but he really should be in Bingo, not the NHL at this time in his development.

For many games this year he was the best player we had out on the ice, certainly defensively. He has been unlucky in not scoring a goal to date, but they will come if he gets offensive ice time. I would like to see the whole team get younger and get rid of some of the deadwood veterans we have. Youth has energy and desire. So I don't agree with your assessment of what to do with Lazar. I don't want him to go to the junior tourney and get hurt and frig up his NHL development.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's what makes BMurrs comments interesting, that he specifically said that. Obviously a bit of a shot at HC

I hope not (a shot at HC, that is).

It all started years ago when HC dropped a couple NHLers into the lineup at the last minute, and the team completely screwed up. (The infamous 1992 WJC where guys like Lindros and Scott Niedermayer skipped camp...and the team finished 6th).

Problem was, the handful of NHL kids didn't mesh at all with the junior kids, and Lindros wasn't even really playing at the time. The team was completely dysfunctional. Since then, you had to show up at camp and blend in with the team.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
For many games this year he was the best player we had out on the ice, certainly defensively. He has been unlucky in not scoring a goal to date, but they will come if he gets offensive ice time. I would like to see the whole team get younger and get rid of some of the deadwood veterans we have. Youth has energy and desire. So I don't agree with your assessment of what to do with Lazar. I don't want him to go to the junior tourney and get hurt and frig up his NHL development.

He's more likely to get hurt in the NHL so it shouldn't really be a concern. You can't make decisions based on fear of injury. Exceptions exist.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If he goes, then they should bring him back. He will have confidence from the WJC. He is going to score soon. The problem is, he has become a big part of our roster right now. He does pretty well most nights.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Get him away from this mess.

This is a factor. He's also just not any better than Greening, Condra or anyone else. He's obviously very good defensively and throws the odd hit but his shots are wide or slightly off target. It's no good for us if he finishes the season with 1-5 goals, 5-10 assists. We have a ton of guys like this already. Murray said he'll be a star in four years, we'll see. Send him to the WJC, let him light the lamp there then use that boosted confidence after Christmas in the NHL.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He needs to go to the WJC, and then to the WHL once the tourney's done.

Let him have a dominant 2nd half against kids his age, build his confidence & leadership, and bring him back to the Sens camp August fresh, and ready to bring his NHL game to the next level.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He needs to go to the WJC, and then to the WHL once the tourney's done.

Let him have a dominant 2nd half against kids his age, build his confidence & leadership, and bring him back to the Sens camp August fresh, and ready to bring his NHL game to the next level.

Agreed.

He's not improving the thing he desperately needs to improve - his offense & hands - in Ottawa this season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Get him away from this mess.

This team isn't a mess, we just aren't very good talent wise, and the talent we do have needs seasoning.

I'm not sure how keeping our talent away from seasoning is helpful.

But you're a sad panda right now, and can at least understand where your posts are coming from emotionally.

Cheer up bro!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad