Should Lazar Go to the WJC?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's possible and might be good for the kid. He is playing well but struggling to put the puck in the net.

At the beginning of the year I would have said no way, but now it looks like a definite possibility, assuming we have the extra healthy bodies to replace him for the 7(?) games he'd miss.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It's possible and might be good for the kid. He is playing well but struggling to put the puck in the net.

At the beginning of the year I would have said no way, but now it looks like a definite possibility, assuming we have the extra healthy bodies to replace him for the 7(?) games he'd miss.

Murray said yesterday he doesn't think he'll let Lazar go to the camp but is fine with the tourney. Which probably isnt what TC want, but if thats the case he'd miss like 4 games.

I don't really care either way if he goes - would be fun to watch if he does but its also fun watching him in the NHL

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd like to see him available for Team Canada. He needs to re-find his scoring touch and their are so many leadership opportunities he will get there on a big stage. It could be so good for his development towards the future.

Bring up Pageau.

There may even be a thought that returns him to Edmonton to solidify his NHL experience, score a lot while leading his cohort to another Memorial Cup run. Again, Pageau can cover here.

If there is indeed a trade and a centre is sent in the package, then he has a clear spot here, but the impact he'd have of just 5 months of a full career at the World's and then another MemCup push could be impactful as to whether he develops slowly or more quickly.

I say send him.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I listened to pierre mcguire's take on tuesday and frankly I think he should go because it will put some cool scoring confidence in him... Or at least it should

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes he should go.. for no reason other than letting some guys get some reps. prince, puempel, pageau

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Personally, I think 8-10 minutes in the NHL is more valuable at this point in his career than the WJC for Lazar.

Unlike guys like Da Costa, Lazar can still play a shift as a grinder in the bottom-six.

We don't expect Condra, Smith or Neil to be putting the puck in the net, so I'm not really understanding this expectation from a rookie.

He plays with a lot of energy, forechecks hard, and kills penalties.

If his name was Derek Grant, everyone would be lauding his play.

To be fair though, it's only a few games in North America so I don't think it will make a huge difference either way.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I listened to pierre mcguire's take on tuesday and frankly I think he should go because it will put some cool scoring confidence in him... Or at least it should

This.

And we have enough bodies to afford letting him go too.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think the experience as a whole would be good for the kid. Unless he doesn't want to.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
To play devil's advocate, outside of winning the tourney, what's there for him to achieve there?

I know Pete had mentioned on the radio that he would be a goto guy there unlike last time but i completely disagree and believe he was leaned on heavily last tourney.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Would be good for the confidence knowing he is a dominant junior player, then bring it back to the NHL.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Absolutely he should.

Kid is ready for the NHL in regards to his defensive game, physical play and work ethic, but he's not ready for the league in regards to his offensive game. His passing and puckhandling need work and he isn't even getting scoring chances, let alone goals right now. I have a hard time seeing the difference between Lazar right now and guys like Pageau and Condra. If it were up to me, provided his offensive game doesn't pick up between now and Christmas, send him to the world juniors to captain Team Canada, and then back to the Oil Kings after that.

No point in rushing the kid. We know he's a tremendous defensive player, but he still needs work on his skills if he's to become the top 6 forward most of us expect him to become. Leading Team Canada to gold and playing 25 minutes a night with the Oil Kings will be better for his development than the minutes he has been playing with the big club.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im all for it.

Send him, bring up Pageau. You do 2 things:

1) Lazar gets goalscoring confidence up, dominates everyone
2) We get a look at Pageau and see how he's faired so far and even raise his value in case we wanna trade him

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If they are trying to win right now I don't think so no. He has been hands down better than a lot of the forwards. If they do send him back then I hope this is a rebuilding year and veterans are traded off for more picks and prospects. Which im honestly not against, I don't think this team is there yet and this draft is exceptional.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I dont see what the harm is. Pageau deserves a shot and Lazar will gain some invaluable experience even if its against lesser competition.

Boost his confidence, raise his profile and create memories that will last him a life time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes. I think it would be a great boost for him, especially if he is the captain. He would only miss 7 games, which he may end up missing over the course of the year anyways as the coaching staff monitor his development.

I think Murray, if he is being completely honest, wants him to go in order to bring up Pageau...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00