Should Lazar Go to the WJC?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why do people think that Pageau would come up? The team is already maxed out with Methot on the IR... What also makes you think they would scratch anyone for him? Zibanejad AND Michalek were both scratches last game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Lazar will end up going to the WJC but for a different reason. This will allow management to postpone their decision on what to do with a roster player until sometime in January after the WJC is over. With Methot coming back a roster decision would need to be made to get the roster size down to 23 players but by sending Lazar to the WJC they can postpone this decision until they can make the right deal/trade or waive a player. I also doubt anyone from Bingo is called up because there still won't be any room on the roster until another player or more players are moved out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Lazar will end up going to the WJC but for a different reason. This will allow management to postpone their decision on what to do with a roster player until sometime in January after the WJC is over. With Methot coming back a roster decision would need to be made to get the roster size down to 23 players but by sending Lazar to the WJC they can postpone this decision until they can make the right deal/trade or waive a player. I also doubt anyone from Bingo is called up because there still won't be any room on the roster until another player or more players are moved out.

I agree with this.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I think it'd be good. If it's looking like we aren't in a Playoff spot come next month, I'm all for it. We're taking our time with him, not rushing him. Although he's been great so far.

CFraser18

Sep 8, 2014
Ottawa
Why do people think that Pageau would come up? The team is already maxed out with Methot on the IR... What also makes you think they would scratch anyone for him? Zibanejad AND Michalek were both scratches last game.

Regardless of who comes up, Greening, Condra or Wierccioch is getting moved. Can't not move one.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Unless we make a trade that moves a C out between now and then I think he should definitely go. It will give him another great bit of experience, he can pot some goals, and our team would be no worse off giving Pageau a bit of time with the big club. The only downside I can see is the potential for injury, but that can happen even if he stays with the Sens.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I haven't seen anything to make me think Paul doesn't have a good chance.

Opinion for lazar hasn't changed. From an entertainment POV, I'll be happy to watch him at the wjc. Don't think it's a huge deal development wise but I do agree a good tourney can help his short term NHL play.

The only thing I disagree with is that this is a huge deal either way.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

I think sens are giving them a chance so we can move them.

I know greening is the brunt of rumours but I think Condra is on the outs too.

I like condra think he's a decent player but this team has to change some how.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I think his confidence is just fine, he has been producing very well considering his icetime.

Im not expecting him to put up huge numbers in his rookie season as an 19 year old but 0 goals in 17 games should not be considered "producing very well".

Im not blaming Lazar because, as with most rookie, he is more concerned with not making mistakes than being creative offensively. Not scoring for 17 games is a long time for a player who is used to putting the puck in the net. If he goes to the world juniors he can really flex his offensive muscle again.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
They will have to make at least one trade with no players coming back for him to play in the Worlds, too many contracts.

Also, Murray said he'd put it to Lazar if he wanted to go. There's no way he will say yes, why would he? He's playing in the NHL, no way you give that up for any reason. You never give up your roster spot, never give the team a chance to replace you. Maclean won't want to lose him for 7 or 8 games. I just don't see him playing there.

He's doing fine, this romantic fantasy that somehow scoring goals against young players in a lesser league will help his development doesn't fly. He's an NHLer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lazar sent down +Greening traded = Methot and Pageau in. Then we can focus on trading Michalek and keeping Condra in full time.

Lazar sent down where? He can't go to Bingo. I assume you mean send him to the WJC & when he comes back send Pageau back to Bingo? Of course this all hinges on trading someone in order to make room on the roster because there would be no room otherwise.

I think Pageau will be getting a look soon and this could be an opportunity to do it.

This will not be the opportunity to bring Pageau up because there will still not be room on the roster for him until another player is either injured or moved off the roster. When Methot returns there will be 24 players on the roster which is not allowed in the NHL & by sending Lazar to the WJC reduces the roster to 23 players the maximum allowed. A trade, or injury or placing someone on waivers is really the only options left to the GM if they want to bring someone up from Bingo. IMO they may not & just play with the guys they have & wait to make a roster decision until after the WJC. BTW they could also still return Lazar back to junior after the WJC couldn't they, if they wanted to, not sure they would but it's an option.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I wonder if the Sens could pressure Hockey Canada into giving Paul and Harpur camp invites if they release Lazar.

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-canada-shouldn-t-count-on-nhl-help-at-world-juniors-1.143055

Canada will name on December 1, next Monday, the 28 to 32 players invited to its final evaluation camp, which begins December 11 in Toronto, but the first of three pre-tourney games is not until December 19. Hockey Canada policy now does allow a player to join the team from the NHL as late as December 19.

Release him to the WJC after the Ducks game on the 19th, seems like the right idea to me

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wonder if the Sens could pressure Hockey Canada into giving Paul and Harpur camp invites if they release Lazar.

That's sneaky, and I like it.

That being said, I'm all for Lazar going to the WJC. It's an excellent experience for a kid like him, he could porentially be captain, huge leadership opportunity for him, chance to bust his goal scoring slump... I literally see no downside to him playing in the tournament, aside from the injury risk.

It's not like missing 4-6 regular season NHL games is going to matter much in the long run, either for his development or for us as a team. We can live without him for a couple of games, he's not exactly a guy who our entire offence is built around. Yet.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wonder if the team kept him up because he was done with juniors, but intend to send him to the AHL next year to continue his development. He's not causing problems up here, but he could benefit from being the number one or two centre in a professional league for a year or so.

I know it's been done before by teams, maybe even with Turris if I remember, but I think he might be better off getting big minutes than he is right now with so few. This could have been a discussion at the start of the season, and really, it's a sweet deal given that he gets NHL money all year instead of stipends in junior.

Be interesting to see what happens. Would have been nince if we could have left Zib in the AHL for a season as well, but it would appear as though that ship has sailed.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I wonder if the team kept him up because he was done with juniors, but intend to send him to the AHL next year to continue his development. He's not causing problems up here, but he could benefit from being the number one or two centre in a professional league for a year or so.

I know it's been done before by teams, maybe even with Turris if I remember, but I think he might be better off getting big minutes than he is right now with so few. This could have been a discussion at the start of the season, and really, it's a sweet deal given that he gets NHL money all year instead of stipends in junior.

Be interesting to see what happens. Would have been nince if we could have left Zib in the AHL for a season as well, but it would appear as though that ship has sailed.

They'll only do it if they have to. Doubt it's expected.

He's a very capable player now, I'd expect he'll be more capable next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad