Post-Game Talk: Should have traded for more D instead.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The reffing was fine last night. You guys complain too much.
Are you drunk, that call on McDavid was beyond atrocious and cost the team the game. That's the kind of missed call where a Ref should get a $1000, because their mistake cost one team a point in a game. This is multi million dollar business with multi million dollar franchises, mistakes like that need to stop being acceptable.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
The problem with Nuge is his game is predicated on being extremely safe which in turn leads to just puck dumping and chasing and loss of possession. Drai doesn't skate hard unless he's 'motivated' to which is a joke really because he shouldn't need to be 'motivated' if he was a consummate professional. Those 2 dont work unless there's someone constantly forcing them to join in on the forecheck like a Yamo or McD. It was my biggest fear when Yamo went down because, as shown yesterday, neither Nuge nor Drai really amounted to much of anything for their line. No idea why both guys tend to stop skating

I'm not so sure about Kassian working there either. Lately, Kassian seems to think he's a skill player and tries to over complicate things.
Seems like Ennis, Archie or even P.Russel would all be better in Yamo's place.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Tough night, should have found a way to win, didn't. They got a point and the new guys are contributing. I agree with the suggestion that Benson should be recalled and I would adjust the lines as follows going forward until Kassian then Yamamoto are back

AA - McDavid - Chiasson
Nuge - Draisaitl - Ennis
Benson - Sheahan - Archibald
Khaira - Haas - Prussell

You could always swap Chiasson and Khaira, Haas or Prussell(or others) if there's need.

Also, from what I watched, Khaira had a strong game last night, it was very good to see.

Chiasson should not see any time on the first or second line! He's a play killer and can't even do the simple things that Kassian can, like skate, play physical and put pucks into space for Connor/AA. Ennis was working there, let them be. McDavid can make anyone better, except a player that just can't do the basic things to move a play forward. Chiasson has been nothing but a warm body and someone they're hoping to bank pucks off of on the PP.

Archibald at least has wheels, right? He looked fine on the second line from what I saw.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Kassian with McDavid wasn’t “broke” either.

I mean he’s been out for a few games so if a line is working why break them apart when you can just insert the guy coming back on to the second line?

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Lines when healthy:

AA-McDaddy-Ennis
RNH-Drai-Yamo
Neal-Haas-Kass
Khaira-Sheahan-Archie
Granlund
Nygaard
PRussell
Chiasson

Totally agree, and dare I say...... that looks like a formidable NHL lineup.

First line is dynamite, like hard to believe it exists - good.

Second line can be one of the best in the league and gets easier assignments due to the first line being so strong. They could out produce the first line often.

Third line you're hoping for hard work and maybe some production here and there. They have a little of everything.

Fourth line takes defensive zone faceoffs, forechecks hard and doesn't give up many chances against higher-skilled lines.

Way to go Kenny.

Reactions: Faelko

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I cant stand smith, but he is either really good or absolutely trash. To bad the latter more often then not

Have you watched the games since January? Smith only had one regulation loss since then. But yeah absolute trash I guess. Jesus pull you head outa your ass and watch a game not just a box score.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Lines when healthy:

AA-McDaddy-Ennis
RNH-Drai-Yamo
Neal-Haas-Kass
Khaira-Sheahan-Archie
Granlund
Nygaard
PRussell
Chiasson

Really doesn't matter what the line up is. If they don't play with effort, urgency, defence first mindset, mental sharpness and attention to details that line up will lose to any team in the league.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Have you watched the games since January? Smith only had one regulation loss since then. But yeah absolute trash I guess. Jesus pull you head outa your ass and watch a game not just a box score.

I watch every game I can, if not I watch the highlites at night. Your going to defend an 810 save percentage? Not to mention the quality of the goals he let in?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
You mean the same Mike Smith who has 1 regulation loss in his last 15 games?
While that may be true, he also has a mediocre .910 and 2.71 GAA in February. He's been good in some games for sure, but his style is far too unconventional for my liking - I think he overplays the puck and sometimes struggles moving post to post.

He wasn't the only one to blame for last night's result, but I think he deserves some of the criticism.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
In all hindi honesty I'm surprised we even got a point, I pretty much new it was a loss.

Oilers were already looking ahead to Vegas game. Clear as day the way they came out of gate. Not to mention new additions will take multiple games to get. We see how the play tonight

Can't explain why but this feels eerily similar to 06. Made because of the trades being so significant similar to 06. But after the deadline we struggled and just made playoffs and we went on a rampage come playoffs

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chiasson should not see any time on the first or second line! He's a play killer and can't even do the simple things that Kassian can, like skate, play physical and put pucks into space for Connor/AA. Ennis was working there, let them be. McDavid can make anyone better, except a player that just can't do the basic things to move a play forward. Chiasson has been nothing but a warm body and someone they're hoping to bank pucks off of on the PP.

Archibald at least has wheels, right? He looked fine on the second line from what I saw.
I mean it's only for tonight, Kassian's back after that, and I would rather take Chiasson's limitations with the 2 guys who can very likely over come/make use of it while getting better balance to the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I think, also, that you might be Much less of a fan of Chiasson then most.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I missed most of the game last night, how did Green look? I like what I saw of AA and Ennis but didn't watch long enough to notice much from Green.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
I watch every game I can, if not I watch the highlites at night. Your going to defend an 810 save percentage? Not to mention the quality of the goals he let in?

Tell me the win loss record of both our goalies in 2020. Smith is a solid goalie and will likely be our goalie in the playoffs. Stop hoping for his failure when he has 1 sub .900 game in his last 5 starts.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
While that may be true, he also has a mediocre .910 and 2.71 GAA in February. He's been good in some games for sure, but his style is far too unconventional for my liking - I think he overplays the puck and sometimes struggles moving post to post.

He wasn't the only one to blame for last night's result, but I think he deserves some of the criticism.
Maybe, but only from someone partially objective about it, you absolutely are not.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I missed most of the game last night, how did Green look? I like what I saw of AA and Ennis but didn't watch long enough to notice much from Green.
Green looked out of sync with the team. He was floating soft passes to guys that were slightly off/short where if they connected, the forward would have had lots of room to move. I think he’ll settle in and it’s quite obvious Tippett trusts him.

I’d really like to see him man the point on the PP, I’m not sure if Bear is there yet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Green made Some crisp passes. Decent reads. Just getting adapted. But he was real weak on one GA. There was too much separation last night between forwards and D. Its like the forwards all got excited with the prospects of added offense and were weak in the transition area. Plus Ducks were shutting shit down left and right and flooding areas.

AA and Ennis took a bit to get started which is understandable, all the knew players are just exhausted (kudos by the way for all of them making it into the lineup on short time and going for a back to back at that. No chance to breath. Ennis said he's all in on adrenaline and excitement and he had the wheels. I thought AA struggled initially but then came on. The Ennis goal, the whole transtition, everybody touching the puck, it was a thing of beauty.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Maybe, but only from someone partially objective about it, you absolutely are not.
It's hard to be objective and be a fan. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Regardless, although some of the things I said about Smith were probably in the heat of the moment, I think we can all agree he needs to be better than he was last game.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I mean it's only for tonight, Kassian's back after that, and I would rather take Chiasson's limitations with the 2 guys who can very likely over come/make use of it while getting better balance to the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I think, also, that you might be Much less of a fan of Chiasson then most.
Chiasson is perfect beside Haas on the 4th line, hopefully Neal accepts his role on that line too. Sheahan + Archibald + Ennis could make an excellent 3rd line, DRY and AA+McD+Kassian to top it off.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Really doesn't matter what the line up is. If they don't play with effort, urgency, defence first mindset, mental sharpness and attention to details that line up will lose to any team in the league.

That applies for every team in the league...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
[QUOTE="AddyTheWrath, post: 170950373, member: 248483"]It's hard to be objective and be a fan. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Regardless, although some of the things I said about Smith were probably in the heat of the moment, I think we can all agree he needs to be better than he was last game.[/QUOTE]

Nicely stated.

Signature worthy.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chiasson is perfect beside Haas on the 4th line, hopefully Neal accepts his role on that line too. Sheahan + Archibald + Ennis could make an excellent 3rd line, DRY and AA+McD+Kassian to top it off.
Neal's a veteran and understands where he sits, I would think. I agree with the Chiasson-Haas fit. I think for just tonight, it might be the best way to go to get good balance for the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad