Post-Game Talk: Should have traded for more D instead.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's hard to be objective and be a fan. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Regardless, although some of the things I said about Smith were probably in the heat of the moment, I think we can all agree he needs to be better than he was last game.
Maybe, but your post starts with garbage about the guy who's been playing great hockey and has lost 1 regulation game in the last 15 and calls him "mediocre"

My point remains the same and completely valid, Smith might deserve some blame for last night, but it can't come from someone who's looking for him to fail.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Are you drunk, that call on McDavid was beyond atrocious and cost the team the game. That's the kind of missed call where a Ref should get a $1000, because their mistake cost one team a point in a game. This is multi million dollar business with multi million dollar franchises, mistakes like that need to stop being acceptable.
I agree it was a terrible call but I've always been a firm believer that any games in any sport are never decided by one call.

If Edmonton comes out strong to start the game they probably aren't even going to OT. It's like fighting, man. You never let the judges decide, you put it away yourself before time runs out.

Reactions: Emotive

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I think, also, that you might be Much less of a fan of Chiasson then most.

I don't believe I have any bias.

I thought RNH sucked for quite a long time this year (he's fantastic now and I'm happy for it), I thought Drai was terribly inconsistent and playing brain dead for a long stretch (he's been a beast now and I'm happy for it), and I think Chiasson has been downright awful - has nothing to do with being a fan or not.

I think I'm judging that objectively, I literally can't tell what he is supposed to be decent at or do effectively - poor skater, loses board battles, no hands, poor shot and placement, not much finish... I don't really get what he brings to the table. 5v5 I think he's slightly better than Neal but without the shot and hands around the net. He was on par with Khaira but Khaira seems to have found another gear and is at least using his size.

I'd like them all to succeed, I just watch the games.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Maybe, but your post starts with garbage about the guy who's been playing great hockey and has lost 1 regulation game in the last 15 and calls him "mediocre"

My point remains the same and completely valid, Smith might deserve some blame for last night, but it can't come from someone who's looking for him to fail.
What was garbage? I said his .910 and 2.71 GAA is mediocre. Those stats are certainly not otherworldly, and I'd sooner use save percentage to evaluate a goalie's performance than how many wins he has. It's not like Smith himself has been stealing every win for us from the other team.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Tell me the win loss record of both our goalies in 2020. Smith is a solid goalie and will likely be our goalie in the playoffs. Stop hoping for his failure when he has 1 sub .900 game in his last 5 starts.

Koskinenn is a far superior goalie fundamentally and it's not even close. I'm not sure if he struggles mentally or what.

I sure wouldn't mind a new goalie coach tho, the struggles we have had in net goes back to long

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Are you drunk, that call on McDavid was beyond atrocious and cost the team the game. That's the kind of missed call where a Ref should get a $1000, because their mistake cost one team a point in a game. This is multi million dollar business with multi million dollar franchises, mistakes like that need to stop being acceptable.
I agree that that was a horrific call, and costed us the game, but our lethal power play has also won games on similar terrible calls. It’s give and take. It sucks to not get the 2 points last night because we are in tough tonight against one of the hottest teams in the NHL.

We were lucky to get to OT, our D didn’t have to work much after the first period but they made some costly mistakes, and if your going to blame something it’s that. Smith bailed them out in the last minute on a brutal play again.

The positive from last night? Our new guys chipped in and got us a point in that game. There is zero chance Mcdavids last 2 wingers, Chiasson and Gagner combine to score that nice goal Ennis scored or make any plays they did last night.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Cali reffing and game management aside, you don’t win in this league against any team by only playing 30 minutes of hockey. After that abysmal first period I’m glad they at least turned it around and stole a point.

- Ennis looks like a stud, he’s clearly pumped to play here and I hope his effort continues
- AA looked good as well, smart play by him on that goal to drive the net and keep his eye on the puck, good awareness
- Chiasson should never play on the 2nd line or PP ever again, there has to be someone we can call up to play on that line that isn’t completely useless, right?
- Sheahan and Archie shouldn’t be split up, they feed off each other well and form a solid line with whoever the are paired with
- Bear continues to get better every game, Nurse seems to be getting worse, we really miss Klefbom.

Hoping for a solid effort tonight now that the new guys are settled in and a hard fought battle with Vegas in a very important game!
I remember watching Ennis when he was with the Leafs for a season, particularly the playoffs, and thinking he was one of the few leafs who actually knew what playoff hockey was. I've been a big fan of his since.

Chiasson was never the fastest, but he sure looks like he's lost a step. He's looked bad the last few games.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Green-K. Russell would have been a pretty good pairing; I think that the only advantage Benning has over Green is being able to throw a hard check once in a while

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
One point, move on.
It’s impossible for some lol. Any loss by a team less than average means the sky is falling for some. Some of the analysis I have read after the game is mind boggling. But all part of being a fan. Nothing wrong with it.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Green-K. Russell would have been a pretty good pairing; I think that the only advantage Benning has over Green is being able to throw a hard check once in a while
I would trade that body check for a defenseman who doesn't handle the puck like a hand grenade. Green messed up big on the goal but having another dman who can play a breakout pass is huge.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
It’s impossible for some lol. Any loss by a team less than average means the sky is falling for some. Some of the analysis I have read after the game is mind boggling. But all part of being a fan. Nothing wrong with it.
Part of being a real fan is taking the good with the bad. Seems like there's a lot of posters who only want to be fans when the team is winning games, and the minute the lose a game,or even a single bloody period, they're right back to being completely negative of everything that happens.

If you only want to support a team when they win, go cheer for the Canucks. Living in Metro Vancouver has shown me how much of a bandwagon city this place is.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I think most of us who are raging after losing to the Ana's, SJs, LAs, etc every time do so because the team just shuts off against lesser teams. They play great against good ones.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

Perhaps it was more of a slash than a trip, but certainly not among the worst calls we have seen.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Part of being a real fan is taking the good with the bad. Seems like there's a lot of posters who only want to be fans when the team is winning games, and the minute the lose a game,or even a single bloody period, they're right back to being completely negative of everything that happens.

If you only want to support a team when they win, go cheer for the Canucks. Living in Metro Vancouver has shown me how much of a bandwagon city this place is.
Agreed 100 percent!!!

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think most of us who are raging after losing to the Ana's, SJs, LAs, etc every time do so because the team just shuts off against lesser teams. They play great against good ones.
Oh I completely agree. It’s frustrating!! The team plays good against the bruins getting 3 of 4 points the last two times we played them, we beat the blues, beat the flames but then lose to these crap teams. It’s frustrating but at the end of the day, I think we make playoffs and honestly can beat anyone.

the entire division and conference is inconsistent. Blues haven’t looked that hot lately. Knights are rolling after looking bad for quite some time. Arizona has had stretches of hot and cold. There isn’t a single team that scares me right now. We could lose to anyone or beat anyone.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Wouldn’t be an oilers ducks game without a ridiculously favourable call going their way at a ridiculously key time.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
That applies for every team in the league...

Ya exactly (that's my point) and for the last few years we've more consistently been in the lower percentile, in the league, of games where we put in good effort, smart defence, urgency, buy in etc. And that's my beef. We see how well this team can perform when they play the right way... even without Connor. That's the disappointment. Not so much the losing... it's HOW they been losing in the last few years with s*** efforts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad