Should have let Nylander sit or traded him for defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nylander is responsible for himself and supporting his teammates.
Babcock and Dubas are responsible for Nylander and the team.

That being said, regardless of any other players contract, Nylander is now a 7 million player. Not a Goat/Moore 4th line call up.
The longer this goes, I have to place onus on the GM and the Coach.
Why did we sign this guy? For what purpose?
The GM needs to walk downstairs and tell the coach you have 2 options.
Nylander plays with Matthews or he plays with Tavares. Take your pick but the 4th line is over. 20 games later it's time to go. Why did we sign him to 7 million? Answer: ___________________

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
There's a couple of very good comparables. Ehlers has the by far best contract of them. Any time you single out the comparable with the absolutely best contract, you'll be disappointed in what your guy gets. Unless you are Winnipeg and do that in your sleep.

So who would you list as more expensive comparables? Draisaitl, ...?

RLF

May 5, 2014
Nylander is responsible for himself and supporting his teammates.
Babcock and Dubas are responsible for Nylander and the team.

That being said, regardless of any other players contract, Nylander is now a 7 million player. Not a Goat/Moore 4th line call up.
The longer this goes, I have to place onus on the GM and the Coach.
Why did we sign this guy? For what purpose?
The GM needs to walk downstairs and tell the coach you have 2 options.
Nylander plays with Matthews or he plays with Tavares. Take your pick but the 4th line is over. 20 games later it's time to go. Why did we sign him to 7 million? Answer: ___________________

I think we can all agree that the Leafs and Nylander overestimated that his skill would overcome the time missed by holding out. That says something about the player and his dedication to his preparation and managements evaluation of that player and the players dedication.

Last edited:

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
I am SO ****ing fed up of these excuses.

I was told time and ****ing again that Nylander got 60 points twice in a row, so that's why he got that contract.

So then we see Teravainen got 60 last year, and was on pace to do it again after 48 games.

But what is the excuse this time? What apparently makes all the difference again? You all ready for this? You ready?
Teravainen is two years older. So now the whole "2 60 point seasons in a row" thing is out the window. ANYTHING that rationalizes Nylander being overpaid.

It's too much.

IT'S TOO MUCH!!!!

Lol you just said teravainen got 60 pts last year....that was his first and only time.

Then you said he is on "pace" to do it again? So is he not getting that contract based off potential?

You're trying to rationalize teravainen contract based off potential, when leafs are doing the exact same thing with nylander with a 1.4 million dollar difference

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lol you just said teravainen got 60 pts last year....that was his first and only time.

Then you said he is on "pace" to do it again? So is he not getting that contract based off potential?

You're trying to rationalize teravainen contract based off potential, when leads are doing the exact same thing with nylander with a 1.4 million dollar difference

And he's turning 25 in September. Nylander did that twice by 23 years old.

Some just don't have common understanding of how these things work.

RLF

May 5, 2014

You're trying to rationalize teravainen contract based off potential, when leads are doing the exact same thing with nylander with a 1.4 million dollar difference

I get your point, but it could also be argued that Teravainen has shown improvement each year and since he is on pace for 67 pts this year, they feel he is a 60+ pt winger on a team that does not score a lot.
Nylander has two identical seasons. He did not show progression last year. I believe the Hurricanes are also buying more UFA years than the Leafs as well.

It is fair to question our decision as why we are paying more for Nylander when other teams seem to be able to get it done for less. imo

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Does it matter any longer who Nylander compares with dollar wise now that he's signed?
I just want him to earn the money he's getting.
That's the bottom line.
Nylander serves 2 purposes at his cap hit.
1. Provide/produce offense in the top 6.
2. Trade

Pick one or the other.

Reactions: Faltorvo and rumman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
results in lieu of excuses would be refreshing at this point.

I think it's good to look at more than just goals and assists to assess a player. That's how you can look past a cold streak in what is a very up and down sport.

With that said, I agree that at some point the results need to appear and the Leafs desperately need some players to get out of this.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think it's good to look at more than just goals and assists to assess a player. That's how you can look past a cold streak in what is a very up and down sport.

With that said, I agree that at some point the results need to appear and the Leafs desperately need some players to get out of this.
results can come in many different varieties beyond wins/goals/assists. If better results in: drive/desire/compete are present, then I have little doubt the wins/goals/assists will follow suit.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think you should follow the thread of posts. I was responding to someone else who was answering someone who was claiming that this kind of reaction would only be related to Nylander. Which is ridiculous. Many Leafs have been criticized, not just Nylander. I wasn't claiming that he doesn't get abuse,
Ok sorry, missed that. Yeah if there is something Leaf fans master , it is flaming players. They are realy meticulous with the flamethrower. But the teams play is bigger then one player, some put to much blame on a player they never think brought anything to the team ever. That player change with time.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

You're trying to rationalize teravainen contract based off potential, when leafs are doing the exact same thing with nylander with a 1.4 million dollar difference
So you're syaing that if Teravainen waited just 30 or so more games, he would have been paid Nylander money? Why wouldn't he have just done that then. You don't really expect any of us to believe that, do you?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ya, why would anyone listen to a former star and acknowledged performance trainer? I mean what possible comment could he make that pertains to Nylander's difficulties. Wadda bum.
You do realize that I agree with Roberts and was mocking the Nylander fan club, right?

Roberts said that the Nylander camp underestimated how negatively it would affect his play to sit out for two months. The Nylander fan club on this board seems to disagree with Roberts. They're claiming that Nylander has been amazing since he returned, and has just been "unlukcy".

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
With 20-20 hindsight no question he would have been moved. The holdout plus the eventual cost of his deal plus the play of Kappy and Johnsson plus his own weak play. They didn't know what they had with the kids and they cannot have been sure Marner would be this good this fast.With a time machine Willie is dealt and Marner is signed over the summer. Unfortunately I think Willie is the only reason Matthews and Marner were both not inked. They had a plan but it didn't work out.

The signing was to salvage the best opportunity to win this year, not because Dubas wanted to end up here. There are actually some really good D available now that weren't likely moving in the off season so you wouldn't be trading his summer value for the BDA right now. I really hope they can sign Johnsson and Kappy to good value deals and then move Willie to pay for them.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
With 20-20 hindsight no question he would have been moved. The holdout plus the eventual cost of his deal plus the play of Kappy and Johnsson plus his own weak play. They didn't know what they had with the kids and they cannot have been sure Marner would be this good this fast.With a time machine Willie is dealt and Marner is signed over the summer. Unfortunately I think Willie is the only reason Matthews and Marner were both not inked. They had a plan but it didn't work out.

The signing was to salvage the best opportunity to win this year, not because Dubas wanted to end up here. There are actually some really good D available now that weren't likely moving in the off season so you wouldn't be trading his summer value for the BDA right now. I really hope they can sign Johnsson and Kappy to good value deals and then move Willie to pay for them.

Hindsight or foresight. Either one of those would have lead to his trade.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
So who would you list as more expensive comparables? Draisaitl, ...?

Draisaitl's contract bought 3 years of UFA. It's a better contract than Nylander's.

Giving Nylander 7 over an 8 year term would have been a good contract for him. 7 over 6 is a terrible contract for him and all his comparables.

Nithoniel is the same poster who said it would be an "insult" to Nylander to not pay him more than Larkin. Larkin is a way better player than Nylander and everyone knows it. Larkin got 6.1 over 5. He's a 200 foot center, was a 60 point player heading into the negotiation, he's currently at ppg, he's the best player on the Wings, he gets all the tough matchups, he is their future captain and a core piece any team would love to have. Suffice to say we'd trade Nylander 1 for 1 for Larkin in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad