Should Dubas be fired???

Who is/was the issue?

• Total voters

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So allot of you guys still think only 1 trade for a top 4 rhd will fix this team?

I thought about this realistically, how many would be actually surprised if he and shanny were fired tomorrow?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Simple question.

Lets look at the overall picture/evidence

- 50% of cap allocated to only 4 players
- no defense or grit
- did not address back-up situation until after more than half the season was over
- traded kadri, an asset locked up at a reasonable price, for no impact players -> kerfoot+barrie
- said ceci's underlying stats are good when everyone could see ceci doesn't know how to play defense
- leafs have been playing terrible defensively and he hasn't addressed the defensive issue at all
- this is tavares' 2nd year of the 7 year contract that is going to go into garbage (also nylander)
- one out of 5 years gone into garbage for Matthews and one out of 6 yrs for Marner
- inherited a team that had tremendous cap space and a team on the rise; now no cap space and team sucks
- has brought in Muskoka5 culture in the dressing room

so yes plenty of evidence to show that it hasn't worked;

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Forget Dubas, fire Shanny.

Dubas is his guy... he allowed Dubas to build the incredibly soft and mentally weak team that he has. He watched idly by while a highly experienced and respected GM left, to leave an amateur to get completely out-negotiated by Marner, Matthews, and Nylander.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
This situation screams for an appearance by Shanahan.

He would be throwing up on the ice were he a current player on this team.
Solely from sheer disgust.

Reactions: rimshot

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Dubas and Keefe should both be fired tonight. Not even joking a little bit. If this is a professional league that's not acceptable at all. If this was England they;d have to leave the country.

Dubas and Keefe can only do so much before you have to lay the blame on the players who are actually on the ice playing. There's no excuse for the players to lay such a fat ass egg when they had the perfect opportunity to blow the Canes away.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Lets look at the overall picture/evidence

- 50% of cap allocated to only 4 players
- no defense or grit
- did not address back-up situation until after more than half the season was over
- traded kadri, an asset locked up at a reasonable price, for no impact players -> kerfoot+barrie
- said ceci's underlying stats are good when everyone could see ceci doesn't know how to play defense
- leafs have been playing terrible defensively and he hasn't addressed the defensive issue at all
- this is tavares' 2nd year of the 8 year contract that is going to go into garbage (also nylander)
- one out of 5 years gone into garbage for Matthews and one out of 6 yrs for Marner
- inherited a team that has tremendous cap space and a team on the rise; now no cap space and team sucks
- has brought in Muskoka5 culture in the dressing room

so yes plenty of evidence to show that it hasn't worked;

It's why some of us (too few I think), knew that holding the line or trading Nylander to keep the salaries down was important. This isn't the NBA. You need depth, at least a solid D and 4 competitive lines. If you can't produce that with this cap, you can't expect to compete. It's amazing they are even in the race.

They can still make it, because they have the $8M to spend. The Canes showed how men play when they want to win.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Dubas is costing the brand tens if not hundreds of millions in lost revenue and lost mind share in the market. Not to mention the ridiculously player friendly front loading for everybody.

He's gonna be fired soonish.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
All that is talked about is his vision of a skill team. He has built the least skilled D in the league. Imagine wanting to play a puck possession game and always regrouping in your own zone and your available Dmen include:

Holl, Ceci, Marincin. None of these 3 have any puck skills to mention. If you are going to play a certain way then build the team that way. Forwards are built for skill and the D are not, when we have the puck the majority of the time it is on the stick of a non skill player who is not capable of making a play.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Dubas and Keefe can only do so much before you have to lay the blame on the players who are actually on the ice playing. There's no excuse for the players to lay such a fat ass egg when they had the perfect opportunity to blow the Canes away.

I totally blame the players but they can't be fired, no good NHL coach would ever lose that game. Not to mention then start sulking benching his scorers.

Keefe did literally nothing at all all game. Totally out classed, and Dubas is pretty much a meme at this point.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Dubas is costing the brand tens if not hundreds of millions in lost revenue and lost mind share in the market. Not to mention the ridiculously player friendly front loading for everybody.

He's gonna be fired soonish.

i pray to god you are right.

Give me JFJ or Nonis and I’m dead serious.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
The biggest farce is that Dubas is any kind of genius. Nothing he has ever done has been “genius” - this team looks good on paper as a regular season team and awful as a playoff team.

Dubas should be fired. He’s not capable of digging out of his own excrement. Get an experienced GM now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yes - fire his ass.

Next time you get a GM that sets franchise records, don't cast him aside, you say thank you.

Reactions: Atomos2

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He's responsible for assembling the team. I think the majority of people here would agree that they look one way on paper and another on the ice. So the question is, why? That's not an excuse, that's the question at the heart of the problem. What specific to this core of players leads them to perform so apathetically so goddamn always, across coaches, systems, goalies, and management? The answer to that question is the answer to where fault needs to lie.

If you want to jack off your rage boner in public that's all well and fine but don't act like "fIRe eVErYoNE" is an intelligent opinion and everyone who deigns to disagree is biased if you can't answer the question above. Have some humility.
I legitimately can't believe people going after Dubas after this game before the players who played in it. Disgusting effort from them, in what should have been an easy win.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I totally blame the players but they can't be fired, no good NHL coach would ever lose that game. Not to mention then start sulking benching his scorers.

Keefe did literally nothing at all all game. Totally out classed, and Dubas is pretty much a meme at this point.

If the players aren't performing tonight, then there's nothing Keefe and Dubas can do. You could put a hall of fame coach behind the bench tonight and I don't think the result would be any different. You can keep hiring and firing coaches and GMs all you want, but it ain't going to make a damn difference if the players' attitude and will to compete and fight aren't there.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Dubas' job thus far can be summed up as follows:

He's built one of the best highly skilled teams in the league.

He's also built one of the laziest, lackadaisical teams in the league.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If the players aren't performing tonight, then there's nothing Keefe and Dubas can do. You could put a hall of fame coach behind the bench tonight and I don't think the result would be any different. You can keep hiring and firing coaches and GMs all you want, but it ain't going to make a damn difference if the players' attitude and will to compete and fight aren't there.

There is something a coach can do that's why they have coaches. And his systems was crushed and he had no plan B just like against Buffalo or any number of recent games.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well everyone wanted nothing but skilled soft players. Third and fourth lines should hit,fight, and add energy and mix it up making it a tough night for opponents and chip in a few.

Is that our bottom six? Furthest thing from it so he is not smart at this. I bet he learns from this garbage we just seen.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
There is something a coach can do that's why they have coaches. And his systems was crushed and he had no plan B just like against Buffalo or any number of recent games.

Doesn't matter what system any coach has when the players have no will and the fight to do anything on the ice. If they had any passion and heart they would've destroyed the Canes tonight easy the same way they took care of the Pens last game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
"The players will tell us what to do" - Lou

When asked about the Leafs plans at the trade deadline.

What are the players telling us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad