Should Boughner stay or go?

Boughner Stay or Go

• Total voters

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Next season will be year 3 of his 4 year contract, correct?

Hate to say it, but I think he'll get his shot with a slightly revamped roster next season. I wouldn't retain him, but I think this is the direction they will take.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
See, looking back I don’t think the second half is reflective on Boughner. I think it came to one of the rare “bigger than sports” moments with MSD. The team found an external reason to rally win, rather than Boughner’s system being learned.

i always thought the play in that half was due to what happened at MSD.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Maybe it'll be one of those short-leash situations where if we get off to yet another slow start he gets fired early. I'd much rather replace him over the summer if we're iffy on him. That way, we won't be left settling for whatever coaches are left (or, I shudder to think, finishing the season with interim head coach Capuano.)

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Maybe it'll be one of those short-leash situations where if we get off to yet another slow start he gets fired early. I'd much rather replace him over the summer if we're iffy on him. That way, we won't be left settling for whatever coaches are left (or, I shudder to think, finishing the season with interim head coach Capuano.)
we may be better off without a head coach if he is the only option.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If you watch sports for long enough, regardless of the sport, you can begin to tell the difference between poor coaching, and a poor roster/lack of talent. Everything about the Panthers screams putrid coaching. Playing line salad after 2 years, the same excuses/frustrations every night, line mismanagement, bad pairings, lack of identity, late period collapses, long turn around for players to adjust to the new system, letting Domi's punch go unanswered, huge inconsistencies through the season. We are far too talented to show out like we did this season. My fear is we sign Panarin, and just end up a more talented dysfunctional team.

Yeah blue line help and a reliable goalie will make a big difference for us. Probably enough to get us playoffs. Which makes it all the more important to have the right guy behind the bench in a 7 game series against a team like TB or TOR.
Nailed it.

I’ve been negative on DT, but between him and Boog, if I could only get rid of one, Boog would have his Uber ride ready as soon as I could fire up my app.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Nailed it.

I’ve been negative on DT, but between him and Boog, if I could only get rid of one, Boog would have his Uber ride ready as soon as I could fire up my app.

Agree 100%. I do not see how he stays until next season... If he is here next season we mine as well tank for 1st pick and don't make any trades.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
If Q is available and interested you pull the trigger. We should have asked Trotz over the summer to get a feel.

An organization should always look to get better. I know loyalty is a huge thing but if you have a chance to upgrade your team you do it.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Next season will be year 3 of his 4 year contract, correct?

Hate to say it, but I think he'll get his shot with a slightly revamped roster next season. I wouldn't retain him, but I think this is the direction they will take.

I seriously hope not... I mine as well by my Vegas jersey now then. 3 years with the talent we have and he has done very sub par. Id rather him get fired and hire the assistant head coach.

I am starting to think more and more our roster is not the problem at all but management of the roster. Seems like bujgstand and McCann have settled in quite quickly and done well.

Reactions: KW

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Even though he is flawed, the terrible goaltending is something he has no control over. Case in point:

High danger SV% (HDSaves/HDShots)
1. Jaroslav Halak - 0.891 (171/192)
2. Thomas Greiss - 0.887 (179/204)
3. Pekka Rinne - 0.876 (262/299)
4. David Rittich - 0.864 (171/198)
5. Ben Bishop - 0.863 (207/240)
6. Juuse Saros - 0.857 (138/161)
7. Tuukka Rask - 0.855 (165/193)
8. Jimmy Howard - 0.854 (245/287)
8. Anton Khudobin - 0.854 (152/177)
10. Jacob Markstrom - 0.853 (301/353)

Worst HD SV% (min 100 HDShots)
1. Joonas Korpisalo - 0.766 (95/124)
2. Louis Domingue - 0.787 (111/141)
3. Roberto Luongo - 0.788 (178/226)
4. James Reimer - 0.789 (146/185)

5. Keith Kinkaid - 0.791 (170/215)
5. Aaron Dell - 0.791 (87/110)
7. Mikko Koskinen - 0.792 (190/240)
8. Jake Allen - 0.795 (175/220)
9. Devan Dubnyk - 0.796 (214/269)
10. Martin Jones - 0.802 (259/323)

Sure but what he does have control over is how the team plays. We all know the goalies suck. So why not play a more defensive oriented game?

We have, based on those high danger chances stats, a slightly below average team defensively. So either boog is choosing to employ the same strategy and not focusing on defense even though he knows the goalies suck. Or he IS trying to focus on defense but still can't get the team to be above average in that area. I'm not sure which is worse, but both are bad.

Unfortunately I think with the money situation, we're going to get boog back again. Can't see the others paying for boog's contract and a high price guy like coach q. Would love to be wrong.

I don't think boog is the worst we've had, that title would belong to rowe. He's probably better than what sutter, dineen sand the coaches that only coaches a few dozen games with us. But does he elevate this team? I don't think so.

If like others have said, if there is no significant upgrade, then fine we keep him. But if coach q is willing to come here, we did be doing everything we can to bring him in.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Sure but what he does have control over is how the team plays. We all know the goalies suck. So why not play a more defensive oriented game?

We have, based on those high danger chances stats, a slightly below average team defensively. So either boog is choosing to employ the same strategy and not focusing on defense even though he knows the goalies suck. Or he IS trying to focus on defense but still can't get the team to be above average in that area. I'm not sure which is worse, but both are bad.

Unfortunately I think with the money situation, we're going to get boog back again. Can't see the others paying for boog's contract and a high price guy like coach q. Would love to be wrong.

I don't think boog is the worst we've had, that title would belong to rowe. He's probably better than what sutter, dineen sand the coaches that only coaches a few dozen games with us. But does he elevate this team? I don't think so.

If like others have said, if there is no significant upgrade, then fine we keep him. But if coach q is willing to come here, we did be doing everything we can to bring him in.
You haven’t been paying attention. There is no defensive system that can eliminate scoring chances and help the goalies. The team
Has played lights out d for long stretches and still got scored on at will. We r also second worst in the league(only Ottawa) in low danger scoring chance save %. Meaning it doesn’t matter where the shots r coming from or how the defense plays the goalies were aweful. This belief that if we played a defensive system we would be better is simply not true with the goaltending we have received this year

in the league

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
You haven’t been paying attention. There is no defensive system that can eliminate scoring chances and help the goalies. The team
Has played lights out d for long stretches and still got scored on at will. We r also second worst in the league(only Ottawa) in low danger scoring chance save %. Meaning it doesn’t matter where the shots r coming from or how the defense plays the goalies were aweful. This belief that if we played a defensive system we would be better is simply not true with the goaltending we have received this year

in the league

Right, the only one who pays attention is you. Why even have a discussion when you're the only one who knows anything around here?

Fact is, boog has not gotten this team to tighten up defensively when he knows this team's goaltending sucks. Whether that is by design or by incompetence doesn't really matter. That's just the reality.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about how everything is on the goaltending, you'll still be wrong as you usually are.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Right, the only one who pays attention is you. Why even have a discussion when you're the only one who knows anything around here?

Fact is, boog has not gotten this team to tighten up defensively when he knows this team's goaltending sucks. Whether that is by design or by incompetence doesn't really matter. That's just the reality.

You can argue till you're blue in the face about how everything is on the goaltending, you'll still be wrong as you usually are.
Again you haven’t been paying attention. They have tightened up defensively for long stretches and let me say this for you again. IT DID NOT MATTER. The puck still went in from all over the ice. Period.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Again you haven’t been paying attention. They have tightened up defensively for long stretches and let me say this for you again. IT DID NOT MATTER. The puck still went in from all over the ice. Period.

no you're missing the point as usual. I'm evaluating boughner as a head coach, you're evaluating him as a goaltending coach. There have not been many instances this team has tightened up defensively and it sure doesn't show up in the advanced stats you cite to try and back up your claim. The goalies have nothing to do with this team being below average defensively.

Reactions: Kellyr

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
no you're missing the point as usual. I'm evaluating boughner as a head coach, you're evaluating him as a goaltending coach. There have not been many instances this team has tightened up defensively and it sure doesn't show up in the advanced stats you cite to try and back up your claim. The goalies have nothing to do with this team being below average defensively.
The goalies very much have to do with the d. When the team holds an elite team
Like Boston to 8 chances in a game that is
Lockdown defense period. When they hold a team to 3 shots in a period that is elite defense. When the puck is filling our net even while we play elite defense for stretches than it doesn’t really matter who coaches. Again for the millionth time there isn’t a coach or system that helps with our 2nd league worst (only to Ottawa) low danger save percentage. That is all on goaltending. When the defense Infront of said goalie is scared shitless to give up a shot from any area on the ice because he k owns it’s going in there is no chance to play consistent quality hockey. That’s cut and dry. Black and white

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Do you think islanders or
Carolina are well coached? Because they have given up more high danger scoring chances against 5 on5 than we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad