Should #68 be retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't understand the argument that he was only in Pittsburgh for a certain amount of time during his career. What does that matter when he is second all-time in the offensive categories for the Pens as of right now? He will always be one of the greatest Penguins ever no matter. When trying to decide whether or not his number should be retired that argument will not affect my opinion. Ron Francis didn't play his whole career here but I believe he should have his number retired. If we base it on that then there wouldn't be many numbers retired since it's becoming rare that players stay with one team throughout their career.

I will always remember some of his greatest moments as a Penguin like the game-tying goal in Game 1 in the SCF against the Blackhawks or the goal he scored while on his back swinging the puck out of the air against the Flyers, however, I equally remember him sulking and quiting in the ECF against the Devils. The way he thumbed his nose at Lemieux when there was talk of him coming here still leaves me disgusted.

I know there are still people that want him to come back and I'm definitely not one of them. Not because of the way he acted but because he's old and hasn't done anything in the playoffs for years. Too many fans are nostalgic and want to bring back old Penguin players .

I can see both sides of this topic. It's tough but if he would have came back instead of chasing the money, which he always has done, then my decision would be for the number to be retired. However, I would have to say no because he could care less about the organization and he doesn't know the meaning of the word loyal. Though I have absolutely no problem with people saying that it should be retired. I have more of a stronger opinion of him returning than I do on his number being retired.

Ron Francis doesn't belong up there either. 1/3 of his career or 7 full seasons of 21.

That's why it should be kept in tight company.

Not many players deserve the nod to be up there period.

The criteria list should be long as well their tenure.

Jagr comes the closest to being one without actually being one. Make a sacrifice and stick it out a bit longer and he would have it with me.

1.They better have tenure. (Most of their career)
2.If not tenure there better be a dynasty run of championships. (3 or more) No. they don't have to be consecutive.
3.Have many acolades to why they are great. (Awards/trophies)

That's a tall order just for a short list, it could go on.

Jagr has 1 of three, and Francis has none of three, of some of the important parts to be considered.

Did you know there's only one Penguin who was a Pen for his whole career who has over 500 goals? The rest are transplants.

There's a reason Mario is up there, and putting a guy like Jagr up there who couldn't do it on his own, tarnishes the thought of doing it in the first place. Being second all time isn't being a distent second all-time.

If you make the criterial standards low you'll be without numbers left to play with.

Right now if both Crosby and Malkin had to retire or just retired with out it being of serious health issues, are not worthy either. It's looking like they'll need either more championships and a lot..... more tenure/points.

There's reasons why some of the greats are up in the rafters, and deservedly so.

They put their time, brought championships(more than two), sacrificed, and put forth a lot of effort into the community.

Jagr didn't make the cut, sorry. He didn't sacrifice enough, and on top of it, ran when it got rough.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Jagr was here for 11 years and won 2 Cups, 5 Art Rosses, a Hart, 2 Pearsons, and was named to 6 First All-Star Teams while playing for us. Its not like he was here for a cup of coffee. He will be remembered as one of the best players of all time, and he was a Penguin for the years in which he earned that distinction. That's enough for me.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Loved him as a player, and still like watching him in the offensive end. He only spent half or so of his career here, so I wouldn't go through the ceremony and hang his number in the rafters or wherever they do it in Consol. But if they want to not give anyone else 68, well that's OK too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, Pens should be the bigger "person."

He left an incredible legacy here, he acted like a baby near the end of his tenure, but for 95% of it, he was amazing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
one condition I'd find reasonable is that he'd have to be willing to come to the banner raising ceremony. If he's not willing to show up for it, he probably doesn't even want it retired.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
one condition I'd find reasonable is that he'd have to be willing to come to the banner raising ceremony. If he's not willing to show up for it, he probably doesn't even want it retired.

Would you come to the middle of a parking lot to have your banner raised? That's where he died alive.:naughty:

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
It's a form of respect to retire a jersey... Yes he did accomplish a lot here in Pittsburgh but no way the team should retire his jersey.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

The fact that it's even a question as to whether or not he'd show up is an argument against doing it in the first place.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honest question from a neutral observer. If Jagr came back, lets say this year or next year and was helpful for a Stanley cup win, would that change feelings?

In my book he burned that bridge by signing with the Flyers.

That said, once he retires it's fair game. The guy's tenure in Pittsburgh, regardless of how it ended, is one of the best in league history and at some point that takes precedence over off-ice garbage.

I don't expect anyone to forgive him at this point, but I do expect him to be cheered by about 13k of a sellout crowd in ~15 years.

If Jagr's name isn't retired in Pittsburgh then where is it going to be? He spent a decade in Pittsburgh, one of the most productive decades in league history. Far lesser players have had their numbers retired for far less. The Penguins, like the Steelers in a way, have made it evident that retired numbers aren't going to just anyone...but none of our other legends spent the bulk of their careers in Pittsburgh...Jagr did...and he was a better player than the others, too.

68 is also a number that's in no risk of ever being worn again by a Penguin...so there's no harm there. Had he worn something like #8 then it'd be more up to question.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The fact that it's even a question as to whether or not he'd show up is an argument against doing it in the first place.
Sure, but not a good enough argument not to do it imo.
In my book he burned that bridge by signing with the Flyers.

I don't see signing with the team that gave him the best combination of money and role as something that should be held against him. Sure, while he was actively a Flyer he deserved the ire that all Flyers deserve. We all seem to be ok with Tocchet.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
To me it should be a no brainer to retire a number. The Pens have exactly 2 retired right now (Steelers as well). Almost 38% have voted no on this poll (not scientific I know). The ring of honor is enough for me. I know I am old school on this but I like it to be very difficult to get this honor, almost impossible.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
New Poster

He should absolutely have his number retired and hanging up the ceiling of Consol. For me all the good out weigh all the bad

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Jagr was here for 11 years and won 2 Cups, 5 Art Rosses, a Hart, 2 Pearsons, and was named to 6 First All-Star Teams while playing for us. Its not like he was here for a cup of coffee. He will be remembered as one of the best players of all time, and he was a Penguin for the years in which he earned that distinction. That's enough for me.

I agree. I get he left on bad terms and he says weird things but his time here was at the peak of his career. 806 games, 439 goals, 1079 points. Another 147 points in the playoffs. He carried this team after Lemieux retired, those would have been some pretty awful teams without him.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I agree. I get he left on bad terms and he says weird things but his time here was at the peak of his career. 806 games, 439 goals, 1079 points. Another 147 points in the playoffs. He carried this team after Lemieux retired, those would have been some pretty awful teams without him.

Exactly.. and look what he is doing now at age 42. If you look at his time with Philly, Boston, and NJ he's had a positive effect with those teams. Shero had a problem giving Jagr an extra million more than offered but would shell out 1.2 million cap hit for Taylor Pyatt? Please..

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
"I would play for Mario for league minimum, because I owe him my career."

Not word for word, just going on memory.

edit: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_744628.html#axzz3I1uD7SOm

Kind of funny when you consider the amount of "country club" and "35+ signing" complaints around here.

cool. it was obviously an exaggeration. If you expected him to follow through with that, you are incredibly naive. It doesn't make him a liar. People exaggerate all the time.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

can't agree more. He was the best player on the planet for a good number of those years that he was a penguin as well.

If he wants to retire a penguin, then I say we retire his jersey. If Shero wasn't so dead set against him when he came back from the KHL we would've offered him a measly 1M more and he would've come back to us.

Instead we held on to Tyler Kennedy, boy that worked out well...

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
11 seasons isn't enough for a place in the rafters [unless he only plated 11 seasons]

Agree to disagree I guess. When it comes to Jagr I know it's 50-50 and some are still pissed at how everything was handled including me but when I think about his 11 seasons here and the way he played them there is no doubt in my mind he belongs up there, again but that's my opinion

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
11 seasons isn't enough for a place in the rafters [unless he only plated 11 seasons]

With Gordie Howe leaving Detroit for the WHA to play for the Aeros and Whalers for 7 seasons stopped Detroit from retiring his number? The Redwings were pretty ******** about it but time heals.

Bobby Hull another example spent 9 seasons with Winnipeg and 1 year in Hartford (edit-after 15 years with Chicago)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
"I would play for Mario for league minimum, because I owe him my career."

Not word for word, just going on memory.

edit: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_744628.html#axzz3I1uD7SOm

Kind of funny when you consider the amount of "country club" and "35+ signing" complaints around here.

His actual quote is usually misrepresented, or misread:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...turn-to-Penguins-not-out-of-the-question.html

I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot. I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am…besides my parents

This doesn't say: "If the Penguins extend me an offer then I will sign on for league minimum".

It says: "If Mario were to personally ask me to come to the Penguins as a favor to him, then I would very seriously consider it. And you know what? If I did sign, I would do it for league minimum because I like him so much".

It should be emphasized that Mario had to ask this as a favor to Jagr. Jagr doesn't know or care about Bylsma, Shero, Crosby or Malkin, and the gang. The only person around the organization at the time (as far as I know) that Jagr would know or care about is Mario.

Now whether or not Mario did this, we don't actually know. Some posters believe this conversation went down, and Jagr turned his back anyway.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Retired by the Pens, absolutely. He'll go down as the 2nd or 3rd best player in the franchise's history. Suggesting otherwise is just sour grapes. If the Flyers can retire Lindros' number after all the bad blood, the Pens certainly should extend Jagr the same honor - without question.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
His actual quote is usually misrepresented, or misread:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...turn-to-Penguins-not-out-of-the-question.html

This doesn't say: "If the Penguins extend me an offer then I will sign on for league minimum".

It says: "If Mario were to personally ask me to come to the Penguins as a favor to him, then I would very seriously consider it. And you know what? If I did sign, I would do it for league minimum because I like him so much".

It should be emphasized that Mario had to ask this as a favor to Jagr. Jagr doesn't know or care about Bylsma, Shero, Crosby or Malkin, and the gang. The only person around the organization at the time (as far as I know) that Jagr would know or care about is Mario.

Now whether or not Mario did this, we don't actually know. Some posters believe this conversation went down, and Jagr turned his back anyway.
absolutely. There is a huge difference between the Pens offering him a contract and Mario asking him himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad