Should #68 be retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Of course, with 87 and 71.

Yes to these 2 but Jagr left being a pouty *****, then lied saying will sign for league minimum (yes we knew he was not going to anyway), then **** on Pens fans when he went to Flyers and dissed Mario calling Giroux just as good. He was also only here for half his career, i can see Crosby/Malkin here their whole careers. We should not be Montreal and start retiring every number. I dunno why people still want that guy here, even today.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh - I really don't think so. I don't think its a special number in Pittsburgh sports. Nothing we should celebrate.

He's a legend of the game and deserves all the props in the world. At this point, only half of his career was played here in Pittsburgh. He left on his own terms of wanting to be out.

Why would we honor his jersey here in Pittsburgh? I'm very grateful for what he did in his time in Pittsburgh. I certainly don't hate his reason for leaving. The city was way different than it is today and the team was spiraling downward in terms of revenue. However its a mutual thing when you retire a jersey. To me, I'll celebrate the player he is when he exits the game for good, but retired in Pittsburgh. Naaah. Pittsburgh means nothing to him and pretty much vice versa.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No.

He only spent half his NHL career here, abd he left on a *really* sour note.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Gee, ya think?

This wrong needs to be righted. Sooner or later, and I suspect now that he's New Jersey's franchise player it'll be after retirement, Mario and Jaromir need to speak and mend whatever fences were put up a few stupid years ago. Bygones need to be bygones.

#68 needs to be recognized.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Yeah but years after he retires. The further away we get from his not so great departure the easier it will be.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm with Jacob. My feelings on this are well documented.

Interestingly enough, every year some new 500> postcount poster makes the same thread about Jagr and retiring the number and everyone falls for the troll and mashes sausage fingers on keyboards for 30 billion pages. It's like a home-grown HF tradition. A really, really, REALLY stupid one.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
No way.

Even if we did retire it I'm sure he'd have some excuse for not showing up to the ceremony. Screw him.

I'd rather see Geno's #71 get raised to the rafters one day instead alongside Crosby's #87.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Jagr has mentioned recently that if he can, he will play into his 50's. Up to age 55 is possible.

Asked why, and how he believes he could play that long, Jagr replied, "there are a lot of bad players in the league right now".

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Not unless something changes in Jagr's last few years.

Regardless of Shero or whatever, #68 didn't leave Pittsburgh in a positive way.

If #87 and #71 finish their career here, I'd want the numbers retired. But only if they retire here.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jagr has mentioned recently that if he can, he will play into his 50's. Up to age 55 is possible.

Asked why, and how he believes he could play that long, Jagr replied, "there are a lot of bad players in the league right now".

Also, dude still owes money to the Russian mob, according to rumors around Kladno.:laugh:

One of the Czech tabloids here has an unofficial "Járdo Watch" where they just track the crazy/dumb/weird/Jagr things Jagr says.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Also, dude still owes money to the Russian mob, according to rumors around Kladno.:laugh:

One of the Czech tabloids here has an unofficial "Járdo Watch" where they just track the crazy/dumb/weird/Jagr things Jagr say
s.

That's awesome.

:handclap:

If he puts out an autobiography at some point, a tell all, I am sure it would be great reading.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If he was James Jarret from Kelowna instead of Jaromir Jagr from Kladno people would consider him the 3rd best forward ever and forget the rest. Craig Mactavish killed a woman and hockey found a place for him. But Jags is a goofy guy from Europe that says and does goofy things so he's awful.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I would respect the organization's decision either way. His career is certainly deserving of an honor of that caliber, but realistically, he would probably have to mend his relationship with the Penguins and the city of Pittsburgh for that to ever happen so it could be done without lingering questions or baggage.

It's a non-issue as long as he is still playing, though.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If he was James Jarret from Kelowna instead of Jaromir Jagr from Kladno people would consider him the 3rd best forward ever and forget the rest. Craig Mactavish killed a woman and hockey found a place for him. But Jags is a goofy guy from Europe that says and does goofy things so he's awful.

Weird, never knew he killed someone. I was 1 in 1985.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Lol, no. As a Slovak-American who speaks fluent Czech, I'm way more into Eastern Europeans than some jackass farmboy from Moosetit, Yukon or whatever.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Lol, no. As a Slovak-American who speaks fluent Czech, I'm way more into Eastern Europeans than some jackass farmboy from Moosetit, Yukon or whatever.

Not saying he's a prince by any stretch, but on the ice he's almost unmatched in history. His contribution as a hockey player should be recognized.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I like the Penguins stance on jersey retirement in that they basically never do it. It's ridiculous to see teams like Carolina trying to manufacture a storied history by retiring ****ing Glen Wesley's jersey.

If I thought Jagr gave a single **** about Pittsburgh I could be swayed. But he's repeatedly demonstrated over the past 13 years that he doesn't, so why should anyone care about laying out the red carpet and lavishing him with platitudes?

penguins2946*

If he would retire as a Penguin, I think he would get his number retired. I just don't see that happening.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Jagr won all 5 of his scoring titles in Pittsburgh and is one of the best players in the history of the sport, of course 68 should be retired after his career is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad