OT: Shooting at Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You vote for a party, who has a leader, who will become the PM if that party wins.

It's not a direct election like the US, but it's effectively the same as far as public sentiment is concerned.

... do I really have to explain this?
No, i understand this. Just wanted it to be clear to people that you vote for a party not the man who heads the party

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If we, as citizens, were allowed to carry concealed weapons, perhaps this whole tragedy could've been thwarted before it began.

Jesus ****, that creates 50x more problems than it solves.

Go to Texas if you want a concealed weapons permit. No ****ing thank you.

Never. Not in a million ****ing years. No. **** that. Worst idea in this entire thread, by a factor of a thousand.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There was also a bomb that actually detonated in Centre Block in the 60s by a crazy guy named Paul Joseph Chartier (not related to the FLQ Crisis), luckily only he was killed.

We may like to think that in this day and age we are most important and nothing could be worse...and this is a horrible thing that happened....but there certainly has been equal or worse things that have happened in the past...and just like in this instance, we will keep on keeping on.

Yeah, he was going to throw some dynamite into the House form the upstairs gallery. Fortunately, he screwed up in his prepwork of the explosives while in the bathroom and blew up himself (and the bathroom) instead.

My father was on the first floor at the time and heard the boom. He was also on the Hill during the bus hijacking and tons of false alarms. I'm glad he retired before 911...I'd hate to have a family member up there in the last 13 years.

Conservatives scrapped the long gun registry.

How would they know he has a gun?

If I wanted to go on a killing spree, the first thing I would do is register my weapon. :sarcasm:

No, not really.

While I'm not on the rooftop screaming guns for all!, I'm not going to sit here and believe having any kind of registry for weapons would change anything. Someone who wants to go on a rampage or use a weapon in a crime will always find a way to get said weapon no matter what we do.

It's sad to say, but I'd much rather the lone wolf nut use guns as the weapon of choice over something like chemical warfare or bombs. Reason being, we've seen so many of the wannabe Rambos, that it's possible to develop some sort of a survival strategy or change to get through it. Not much you can do if someone sends anthrax through the air system of your building, mails you poison in the mail to kill you, or plants a bomb under your desk.

Pretty gaddamned sad world we live in when people even have to think about stuff like this though. :(

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Which happened in the UK a few years ago, when Tony Blair up and quit as PM, only to see Gordon Brown replace him as PM.

Happened to us a ton as well.

Mulrooney-to-Campbell
Pearson-to-Trudeau
Mackenzie King-to-St.Laurent
Borden-to-Meighen
Macdonald-to-Abbott-to-Thompson-to-Bowell-to-Tupper ( <--- ...jesus...)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Two of those actually were not even elected to the house of commons apparently!

Now that you mention it, I think that whoever the party leader is for the governing party is prime minister. I think we have had some provincial opposition leaders (and maybe even premiers) that haven't been in parliament, recently.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Just imagine 15-20 law abiding citizens drawing on some armed criminals as the police are arriving. We should brainstorm more ways we can escalate situations and up the danger for everyone.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just imagine 15-20 people drawing on some armed criminals as the police are arriving. We should brainstorm more ways we can escalate situations and up the danger for everyone.

Sounds like the scene from a slapstick comedy. :laugh:

That's probably the dream of the wannabe rambos out there. In reality,most people with a permit to conceal (or even an illegal gun) would be cowering like rabbits in the corner.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Sounds like the scene from a slapstick comedy. :laugh:

That's probably the dream of the wannabe rambos out there. In reality,most people with a permit to conceal (or even an illegal gun) would be cowering like rabbits in the corner.

You don't get a permit because you ask nicely. You get one after you have sufficient training and have passed the required tests. There are plenty of situations where they have saved lives in the US.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
CCW discussion is not really appropriate for this forum.

Let's just leave it where it is, and recognize the fact that police were on the scene within minutes (heck the one video I saw shows them entering behind him less than a minute later). Having several random people with loaded weapons who are not tactically trained and large number of innocent bystanders is not a good idea. Especially with police on scene trying to determine which armed citizen is actually the one to be concerned about.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You don't get a permit because you ask nicely. You get one after you have sufficient training and have passed the required tests. There are plenty of situations where they have saved lives in the US.

Training is great....but don't forget about human psychology.

We can all talk big about being the hero and saving lives, but when things start to happen, most civilians will be too scared to do anything.

Heck, most people won't even recognize that is gunfire at first because real life gunfire is totally different from what you hear in video games, tv and movies and all that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I honestly can't believe some people are for concealed weapons. How in the world is that possible after seeing the problems they cause? Mind-boggling.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Would having more security at Parliament really hurt you so badly? I'm not sure I follow this train of thought. "Man, I hope they don't make Parliament more safe."

Im fine with more security on parliament. Thats not what I'm worried about.

I dont want a system like the US or Australia have. Its no longer a democracy or free country.

Judging by Harpers past actions and what he's said, thats exactly what he wants.

349g5P8.jpg

ZutBLp0.jpg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Steve Paikin is a great guy. Does anyone watch The Agenda? What a great Canadian show. Tomorrow they continue and talk about what compels one to convert.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Steve Paikin is a great guy. Does anyone watch The Agenda? What a great Canadian show. Tomorrow they continue and talk about what compels one to convert.
Love Steve Paikin. Best TV host ever. Never sensationalizes, never interrupts (looking at you, Rita Celli and co on CBC radio!), looks at all the angles, doesn't let the interviewee get away with BS, and yet is always courteous.

I missed today's agenda though. I'll have to watch a re-run, I guess.

Rolie

Sep 11, 2007
Dortmund
Im fine with more security on parliament. Thats not what I'm worried about.

I dont want a system like the US or Australia have. Its no longer a democracy or free country.

Judging by Harpers past actions and what he's said, thats exactly what he wants.

What the hell are you talking about. He said nothing to that effect. This just happened, stop freaking out about our freedoms and liberties being taken away. We have always had these threats. The via rail terror plot the Toronto 18.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
What the hell are you talking about. He said nothing to that effect. This just happened, stop freaking out about our freedoms and liberties being taken away. We have always had these threats. The via rail terror plot the Toronto 18.
No politician would out right say it.

This isn't a reaction to what happened. I was already under the belief that this is inevitable.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Throw a few more armed guards on and around the Hill. That's it. Other than that, CHANGE NOTHING. We live in one of the freest and safest countries on the planet. Let's not mess with that shall we?

Rolie

Sep 11, 2007
Dortmund
No politician would out right say it.

This isn't a reaction to what happened. I was already under the belief that this is inevitable.

Look if Harper ever did try to pass a bill that would take away our freedoms or invade our privacy. I would be the first to protest it and him. We need more bipartisanship in this country especially after this.
Lets not lose focus on what took place. Extreme Islamic fundamentalist are a serious threat that must not be taken lightly.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Extreme Islamic fundamentalist are a serious threat that must not be taken lightly.

Are you referring to the shooter? Zehaf-Bibeau?

The same guy who tried to rob a McDonalds with a stick so that he could go to prison because he thought it would get him clean from his crack addiction? The same guy that many in the system thought had a severe mental disorder?

I hope you'll pardon me if I think of the events on Parliament as less of an "Islamist threat", and more of a sad, mentally and socially unstable individual who fell through the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese