OT: Shooting at Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would having more security at Parliament really hurt you so badly? I'm not sure I follow this train of thought. "Man, I hope they don't make Parliament more safe."

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also if giving CSIS/RCMP the power to have potentially apprehended these two before they did something like this do you not think that is a good thing? Or do you prefer to be reactive than proactive? Hey, our system is good the way it is after all only one person died and a couple got hurt...no big loss.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also if giving CSIS/RCMP the power to have potentially apprehended these two before they did something like this do you not think that is a good thing? Or do you prefer to be reactive than proactive? Hey, our system is good the way it is after all only one person died and a couple got hurt...no big loss.

How proactive should you be? You want a Minority Report Thought Crimes division?
I think actually we have a good system in place, and without seriously trampling over the freedoms that people fought for in the World Wars - there's not a lot more power you can grant them.

I DO NOT want a Patriot Act style legislation rammed through during a time of high emotion.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well the elected representatives obviously feel something more could be added to the system in place right now. Nobody is suggesting patriot act ****. Man, you guys are worse than CNN -- fear mongering about losing your liberties before anything even close to that has been suggested.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Well the elected representatives obviously feel something more could be added to the system in place right now. Nobody is suggesting patriot act ****. Man, you guys are worse than CNN -- fear mongering about losing your liberties before anything even close to that has been suggested.

How exactly you do you propose to apprehend someone prior to them committing an illegal act, without effectively charging them with a thought crime?

I mean, in an alternate universe - maybe the shooter drove up, slowed down, had a change of heart and moved on with his life. Who knows how many of those incidents occur every day.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
How exactly you do you propose to apprehend someone prior to them committing an illegal act, without effectively charging them with a thought crime?

I mean, in an alternate universe - maybe the shooter drove up, slowed down, had a change of heart and moved on with his life. Who knows how many of those incidents occur every day.

Having incriminating evidence related to terror? The US can hold people 24 hours without charging them and if their a teror suspect it can go beyond that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm all for making it so that someone can't make an end-zone rush into a Parliament building. That would satisfy me. I don't want to see knee-jerk legislation getting rushed through the system right now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Do we really vote for prime ministers? I also thought it was more voting for a party

You vote for a party, who has a leader, who will become the PM if that party wins.

It's not a direct election like the US, but it's effectively the same as far as public sentiment is concerned.

... do I really have to explain this?

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
If we, as citizens, were allowed to carry concealed weapons, perhaps this whole tragedy could've been thwarted before it began.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Do we really vote for a prime ministers? I also thought it was more voting for a party

Technically yes, we vote for the party - and the party leader sits as the prime minister.
In practice though, I'd say most people vote for the leader they most prefer as typically the leader represents and directs the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad