Confirmed with Link: Shesterkin recalled.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Read another recent interview. Will not translate in total - it's more or less the same.

Just note one thing: when Shesterkin arrived for the training camp he was told that his weight was fine, however from the personal perspective he noted how physically fit were his teammates (e.g. 6-pack abs, etc). Upon his recent recall he mentioned that he was 5% fat and 7 lbs down in total weight vs. then.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Translating interview with Shesterkin in Russian outlet called sport24.ru:

«Чтобы не расплакаться, уставился в одну точку». Шестеркин — о втором матче в НХЛ и Лундквисте

Q: How you feel after your 2nd game for the Rangers?
IS: More or less getting comfortable to the NHL, there were more shots in this game. Turned out to be an interesting game, I was less nervous.

Q: You faced 49 SOG. Did it make it more difficult? (Duh???)
IS: I like it when there are more shots. Improves my stats. (Lol!!!)

Q: Do you play better in games like this? No chance to get "unfocused" off the game?
IS: Not sure, I still allowed to get scored on

Q: The third goal was a bit weird. Did you understand why refs allowed it?
IS: In this situation I couldn't figure out where ref saw the puck crossed the line. And the net was moved too...

Q: Did you enjoy / appreciate that you got the second game in the row?
IS: I'm very appreciative of the coach for giving me this chance. I want to play better and better with each game to get a permanent roster spot.

Q: What did you feel when the whole arena chanted your name: "I-gor! I-gor!"?
IS: I heard it and I felt my skinn crawl (in a good way). Thank you to the fans. This gave me confidence and made it feel more comfortable.

Q: Did you expect to be accepted by the Rangers fans so soon?
IS: Did not expected and was quite shocked. When my last name was announced and I heard reaction of the arena, I just had to stare at one spot to not start crying

Q: How do you grade your start in the best league in the world?
IS: I'm very happy with it, want to play even better, I had some issues that need to be corrected. I won't have much time my "train" (i.e. opportunity) could take me back to Hartford at any time and I don't want to go back.

Q: Lundqvist is a legend here. Did you enjoy playing with him?
IS: Lundqvist was a legend / idol for me even in Moscow. When I met him for the first time this summer I was positively shocked with his approach to the training process. He was always the first on the ice and the last one off it. He's very special!

Q: Did he support you? Offered any advice?
IS: He wished me good luck before the fist game, said it will be fun

Q: Did anybody called you Tsar around him?
IS: Lol, no. Heads would get taken off the shoulders immediately

Q: Are you proud that you're essentially pushing out Lundqvist - the legend?
IS: I wouldn't say that I personally am pushing him out. He's still number 1 here. I'm just trying to capitalize on the chance I'm given

Q: What are the rituals for rookies in the NHL?
IS: Before the game I needed to put money on the board. If the team wins then the team will do something with it

Q: Do you get recognized in New York already?
IS: On the streets some people already recognize me even though I arrived kind of like the first snow. They wish me good luck.
This is an awesome interview. Some of his responses are gold. Guess we won't be calling him Tsar/Czar or anything!

Thank you for translating.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Read another recent interview. Will not translate in total - it's more or less the same.

Just note one thing: when Shesterkin arrived for the training camp he was told that his weight was fine, however from the personal perspective he noted how physically fit were his teammates (e.g. 6-pack abs, etc). Upon his recent recall he mentioned that he was 5% fat and 7 lbs down in total weight vs. then.
That's funny it just makes me think of a locker room full of flabby AHLers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is an awesome interview. Some of his responses are gold. Guess we won't be calling him Tsar/Czar or anything!

Thank you for translating.

Thank you. I thought it will be well taken. : )

I really like Shesterkin's dry wit and I hope I was able to convey it. One additional thing - the last answer I made very PG. The more appropriate translation was more R-rated and, therefore, funnier.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Georgiev is an NHL starting caliber goalie, we better get a high quality pick, prospect or a young NHL player. I don't care if he is a goalie, the return has to be there.
You just don't deal him for a bag of beans. Period. You don't allow another team to grab him for zilch, given to a team that will come back and attempt to beat us. Otherwise, bury him. And wait to see what happens in the ongoing Hank saga.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I’m sorry if people can’t see this for what it is— literally the worst possible asset management. But why should any of us be surprised, this is the same organization who just had a top 10 pick quit rather than stay with this dysfunction.
LOL cripes what a drama queen. You are so completely off-base, what an absurd statement. "Literally" could not be further from realty.

Rangers wanted to know what they had in Igor so they could be safe in trading Georgie, which is the next step

Rangers are in great shape

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The interview is even better when you read it in Ivan Drago's voice.

Seems he has a little bit of the Messier emotional crying gene.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Why would Hank not want to give one last try to get the cup on a true contender team with NYR retaining part of the salary ?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That lundqvist question was cringeworthy

I thought he handled his answer extremely well.

I was at the game last night. The crowd was very excited by him. If Shesterkin continues to play well, I hope the fanbase respects Lundqvist's swan song considering all he's done for this organization. In a "what have you done for me lately" world, I fear a portion of fans will turn on Lundqvist as the new shiny toy emerges.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Rangers wanted to know what they had in Igor so they could be safe in trading Georgie, which is the next step
I had hoped Shesty stays in net until he loses, but Hank is starting in STL. Which makes your argument all the more plausible.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
LOL cripes what a drama queen. You are so completely off-base, what an absurd statement. "Literally" could not be further from realty.

Could not be handled worse. No other way to accurately look at it. They could have done this exact same move a month ago and let Georgie continue to play games and now he’s rotting in the Skybox and his trade value goes down each day he’s in this goalie rotation.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
All JG did to "lose" Kravstov (who is in Hartford right now) and Lias is send them down when they weren't ready for the NHL. Every GM does this every season many times.

I very seriously doubt this 3 goalie rotation will last. George will likely be traded soon I'd bet.

I completely get that and it's a common thing throughout the league with prospects but they don't usually want to up and leave their drafting team after being sent down, especially not the NYR.

3 goalies at this point in the season is nothing short of idiotic.
JG had all season to do this.

Why wait until half way through the season to do it when Geo is no longer waiver eligible?

Is he announcing to the whole league that he has a situation where he needs to get rid of a goalie and will accept pennies on a dollar?

JG is a fkn fool..

After Lundqvist:

Huska
Wall
Olaf
some guy we draft this year

What have they proven?
Geo is here playing great for peanuts.
I'd rather keep Geo then spin the magic 8 ball..

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

You don't think this should've been done before Geo was waiver exempt?

Lundqvist starts next game so that's all it took for this evaluation?

Reality hit a brick wall in your post lol

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is he announcing to the whole league that he has a situation where he needs to get rid of a goalie and will accept pennies on a dollar?
Yes, he should have sent Georgiev to the AHL while he could to improve his trade value. Please take our AHL goalie.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yes, he should have sent Georgiev to the AHL while he could to improve his trade value. Please take our AHL goalie.

JG has 3 goalies up now.

Why couldn't he just have done that earlier in the season?

What's the difference??

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I thought he handled his answer extremely well.

I was at the game last night. The crowd was very excited by him. If Shesterkin continues to play well, I hope the fanbase respects Lundqvist's swan song considering all he's done for this organization. In a "what have you done for me lately" world, I fear a portion of fans will turn on Lundqvist as the new shiny toy emerges.

They've done that for the past 3 years haha. This will only give them more ammo.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Done what? Send Georgiev down? What would that accomplish?

I don't understand what you aren't getting.
Geo didn't NEED to be sent down.

He has 3 GOALIES "UP" (ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER) RIGHT NOW.

Why would he NOT have done that earlier in the season BEFORE Geo was INELIGIBLE for waivers??

Lundqvist is starting the next game.

How is this benefiting anyone??

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

He’s already proven himself a capable NHL player. That line of thinking is absurd! The benefit for sending him to the minors is so that he stays fresh and not sitting in the skybox wasting away!!! No playoff bound team wants a goalie who was given a forced vacation halfway through the year. What the Rangers have done is set up a scenario where they’ve telegraphed they need to trade Georgie, made he a less marketable goalie for other teams because he won’t be sharp at the deadline now, and given Shesterkin a limited time to show he’s NHL worthy before making a decision. How can anyone not really see that for what it is— absurdly bad asset management.

You know, if Brian Leetch was sent down to the minors for a rehab stint that does not make him an AHL level defensemen.

Please just stop with this fake notion that just because a goalie is currently playing in the AHL that somehow makes him only capable of playing in that level. If Shesterkin is now “no longer an AHL goalie” after 2 games than Georgie would not be an AHL goalie after a month playing there.

Reactions: NYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad