Confirmed with Link: Shesterkin recalled.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
86B6C840-EF2F-410E-A7BF-4CF5C0B4A87F.png

Via rangers insta. Amazing quote, as Quinn is pretty honest.

This cat starting tonight ???

Reactions: CasusBelli

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
And neither does giving Shesterkin 6 ish games in the NHL before the trade deadline give the Rangers any real sense of what this guy can do at the NHL level. That’s not nearly enough of a sample size— again that’s why this move should have been made a month ago so as to get an actual sample size, admidetly way too small of one— but still more than they can get now.
Any games give you a better idea than zero.

And there’s not some magical difference between 6-10 games and 10-14 games or something. Both are small sample sizes, especially for goalies who are known to go entire seasons at high levels and never be able to recreate it.

They have three goalies and there’s no neat way to deal with it. It’s not some mistake, it’s handling a tough situation.

BreadManPanarin

Mar 15, 2017

And there’s not some magical difference between 6-10 games and 10-14 games or something. Both are small sample sizes, especially for goalies who are known to go entire seasons at high levels and never be able to recreate it.

They have three goalies and there’s no neat way to deal with it. It’s not some mistake, it’s handling a tough situation.

As an impartial third party (Blackhawks fan) who has been watching this situation very closely and with great interest because Shesterkin has been the #1 prospect goalie on my fantasy radar for a long time:

I don't think they were worried about Shesterkin proving himself in 6 games, 14 games, or whatever time frame.. I think the reason they kept Georgiev up as long as they did is that they wanted to give him a chance to disprove their existing notion that Shesterkin is their guy and that Georgiev is expendable (short of a miracle happening and Hank getting moved). Georgiev was solid and proved he has potential as a goalie, but he didn't clear the massive hurtle it would take to prove that he's the guy over Shesterkin. They probably knew they were never going to get a huge haul for Georgiev, so it doesn't really make much of a difference that he isn't waiver exempt anymore. I think that this was handled fine for the most part, and if the pick they get for Georgiev is a round later than it might have been otherwise, who cares? He isn't and wasn't gonna fetch a first rounder, and they were better off giving him some extra time to see what they truly had before moving on from him. Bottom line is you guys have an absolute stud in Shesterkin going forward, and this whole Georgiev thing is really not that important in the long run.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As an impartial third party (Blackhawks fan) who has been watching this situation very closely and with great interest because Shesterkin has been the #1 prospect goalie on my fantasy radar for a long time:

I don't think they were worried about Shesterkin proving himself in 6 games, 14 games, or whatever time frame.. I think the reason they kept Georgiev up as long as they did is that they wanted to give him a chance to disprove their existing notion that Shesterkin is their guy and that Georgiev is expendable (short of a miracle happening and Hank getting moved). Georgiev was solid and proved he has potential as a goalie, but he didn't clear the massive hurtle it would take to prove that he's the guy over Shesterkin. They probably knew they were never going to get a huge haul for Georgiev, so it doesn't really make much of a difference that he isn't waiver exempt anymore. I think that this was handled fine for the most part, and if the pick they get for Georgiev is a round later than it might have been otherwise, who cares? He isn't and wasn't gonna fetch a first rounder, and they were better off giving him some extra time to see what they truly had before moving on from him. Bottom line is you guys have an absolute stud in Shesterkin going forward, and this whole Georgiev thing is really not that important in the long run.
Well put. It sucks because Georgiev has a chance of being a solid #1 sooner than later. He’ll likely be moved and do that elsewhere, and the return NYR get for him won’t be that of a #1 goalie.

But that’s more an issue of how the goalie market works. You don’t get firsts unless you’re moving a very clearly established #1 with a way longer resume than Georgiev has had time to develop.

Reactions: BreadManPanarin

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Interesting that the New York Rangers has recalled goaltender Igor Shestyorkin from the Hartford Wolf Pack in AHL. This guy created magic in the KHL, hope the rangers actually give him a chance to shine

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

I can't see a point here. You are just giving blanket passes to the organization. Would it not be better to utilize resources in a way that allows them to develop? I.E allow Georgie to go to the minors( which is a joke but still a better option than the skybox) Shesterkin to be called up to play a more meaningful amount of games? They had that option a month ago-- they failed to realize this was an option that better suited the development of all players as well as elevate the trade value of Georgie....

Last edited:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

I think you could be exactly right but the assumption that Shesterkin has what it takes is what scares me. Georgie looked like a potential starter in the NHL-- that may be way higher or way lower than Shesterkin-- the Rangers can only guess at that. This idea that hes a sure fire Hank replacement seems to just be a best case leap rather than a somewhat known certainty. Again my biggest hope here is Benoit, the goalie coach, has given his assessment and he believes Shesterkin will be the better of the two. I have complete confidence in him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I can't see a point here. You are just giving blanket passes to the organization. Would it not be better to utilize resources in a way that allows them to develop? I.E allow Georgie to go to the minors( which is a joke but still a better option than the minors) Shesterkin to be called up to play a more meaningful amount of games? They had that option a month ago-- they failed to realize this was an option that better suited the development of all players as well as elevate the trade value of Georgie....
I'd say you're giving blanket criticism to the organization. For example, earlier saying Lias left because the organization is run poorly, as if it's some black mark on them and confirmation of your criticisms rather than a kid quitting in an extremely unusual and unacceptable way.

The point is they have 3 NHL goalies, and that's too many. There is no neat way to deal with that. Igor is dominating the AHL and may have nothing more to learn there. Georgiev, while inconsistent at the NHL level, is beyond the AHL. Hank is a hall of fame level goalie with an NMC. The timing of Georgiev's development and Igor's almost instant adjustment to the NA game made this situation a bit messy. It's not some problem born from organization dysfunction - it's too many guys showing that they're ready at all once in the one position that has a hard limit for NHL rosters.

Putting Georgiev in the AHL isn't "allowing him to develop" it's putting him at level he's already above. You said sending him to the minors is a joke but still a better option than the minors. I assume that's a typo. It's a better option than having 3 goalies you mean?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Other than the snide remark do you have a comment about posters treating the Rangers like a charity?
Rangers signed him to a fat contract. They could have let him walk if they didn't want the last couple of years on the contract. Clearly it was worthwhile for them to do it. Business decision. They knew they might be paying a backup goalie starter type money at the back end of the deal when they signed him to the deal. It's a huge chunk of change for Hank to say 'no thanks I'm good' to. Us poor folk look at him and think 'when is enough enough?', but that's not how the athletes view it. He's entitled to every penny and I don't get the resentment for it. He might end up retiring, but him staying on is by no means treating the Rangers like a charity.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I'd say you're giving blanket criticism to the organization. For example, earlier saying Lias left because the organization is run poorly, as if it's some black mark on them and confirmation of your criticisms rather than a kid quitting in an extremely unusual and unacceptable way.

The point is they have 3 NHL goalies, and that's too many. There is no neat way to deal with that. Igor is dominating the AHL and may have nothing more to learn there. Georgiev, while inconsistent at the NHL level, is beyond the AHL. Hank is a hall of fame level goalie with an NMC. The timing of Georgiev's development and Igor's almost instant adjustment to the NA game made this situation a bit messy. It's not some problem born from organization dysfunction - it's too many guys showing that they're ready at all once in the one position that has a hard limit for NHL rosters.

Putting Georgiev in the AHL isn't "allowing him to develop" it's putting him at level he's already above. You said sending him to the minors is a joke but still a better option than the minors. I assume that's a typo. It's a better option than having 3 goalies you mean?

Yes- thanks for pointing that out. I meant going and playing in the minors for Georgie( even though I agree he’s past that) is still better than the skybox. Rusting away watching games doesn’t help him one bit.

The organization dysfunction is not making this move while still being able to send Georgie down. That’s the crime of this situation. Yes he has nothing left to prove down there but at least he’d be playing games.

This apointment of Shesterkin as an NHL goalie is very pre-mature in my mind and I’m just not ready to hand the reins over to the guy. Playing in the KHL and the AHL is a long way from proving himself capable of being an NHL goalie.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think you are missing my point. If they wanted to see what Shesterkin had and see what their future looks like why wait until Georgie can’t be sent to the minors to do that? No one can give me an answer because it’s literally absurdly bad managing. Right now, even if we want to believe they hope to “showcase” these talents and “figure out what they have” they can’t do that as efficiently because there are now 3 goalies sharing one spot. That means LESS opportunities for each player to play and LESS chance to see what Shesterkin has. If they honestly believe that they can make a formative assessment on what a goalie can do in the NHL after 6ish starts( realistically all they can expect to give Shesterkin before the deadline if you still want Georgie to be a marketable trade prospect— since he will need some games just to stay sharp) that’s comical to me! People are really supporting this philosophy that a few weeks worth of starts is enough to see if Shesterkin is the answer over Georgie??? I’m stunned. The only confidence I can even glean from this situation is Benoit, the goalie coach, is a literal genius, and can probably make an assessment pretty quick.

The time to do this was before Georgie hit his waiver exempt status. That only occurred like a month ago— nothing has changed in this team’s playoff potential, nothing has changed with the way these three goalies are playing— the only thing that’s changed is they can’t send Georgie down now.

Also, and GM worth their paycheck is going to know the situation the Rangers are in and turn the screws in them once Georgie becomes available( if he does) at the deadline. Knowing that the Rangers have no viable option with him, they can easily make them consider wasting a year of both prospects development as a bargaining chip for why the Rangers should settle for less assets back. I’m sure other GM’s know the Rangers will want to fix this “problem” and won’t offer as much now as a result.

I’m sorry if people can’t see this for what it is— literally the worst possible asset management. But why should any of us be surprised, this is the same organization who just had a top 10 pick quit rather than stay with this dysfunction.

You nailed it again, as per usual @JHS .

Apparently Training camp started in Jan for this team.

JG continues to make these mind boggling decisions.
He sells the farm and accumulates some decent prospects only to lose nearly the 2 most important ones lol.

He literally rode LA into the ground way before he was ready along with others which is obvious.

Now he has a 3 goalie rotation half way through the season where none of which are going to get appropriate playing time.
Laughable.

This guy's a complete f***ing moron and never in all my years of watching/ playing hockey have I ever seen a team handled like this before.

What happens when Lundqvist is gone in a year?
He gonna sign some scrub to $4M a year to backup whoever's left?

Shesty, while highly touted, hasn't proven shit in this league yet.
That's a fact.. Let's see how he does after the adrenaline wears off.
But..One step forward, 20 steps backwards..YAY lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Rangers' marketing is pumping Igor's tires in a way they never did with Georgiev. We can probably read into that.

I mean, there's a big difference. Georgiev is just an above average goalie. His ceiling is a decent full-time starter in this league. Igor has potential to become one of the best ever.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I mean, there's a big difference. Georgiev is just an above average goalie. His ceiling is a decent full-time starter in this league. Igor has potential to become one of the best ever.
Best ever? Pump the breaks my friend. He’s played 2 NHL games. Let’s wait on the coronation ceremony a bit here shall we.

I also love how we now just pass off Georgie as “above average” but that’s just somehow assumed that Shesterkin will achieve that. If anything, Georgie’s development should tell us how inconsistent young goalies tend to be and how susceptible they are to streaks. The only way to evaluate goaltenders is through technique, thus why I’ve stated multiple times Benoit needs to be the loudest voice in the room about who the Rangers should hitch their wagons to.

Reactions: CasusBelli and QJL

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Best ever? Pump the breaks my friend. He’s played 2 NHL games. Let’s wait on the coronation ceremony a bit here shall we.

I also love how we now just pass off Georgie as “above average” but that’s just somehow assumed that Shesterkin will achieve that. If anything, Georgie’s development should tell us how inconsistent young goalies tend to be and how susceptible they are to streaks. The only way to evaluate goaltenders is through technique, thus why I’ve stated multiple times Benoit needs to be the loudest voice in the room about who the Rangers should hitch their wagons to.

Don't misconstrue my words. I said he has the potential to be one of the best ever. That's a fact based on his prior performance at every level. It's his ceiling.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Don't misconstrue my words. I said he has the potential to be one of the best ever. That's a fact based on his prior performance at every level. It's his ceiling.
Prob w this line of thinking is that it fails to take the team into account.

Hank’s the best ever IMO because he never had a great team. Good? Yes. Very good? Yes. Couldn’t score and couldn’t keep the puck. Hank did work. Because he had to. Put a team that could break out or possess the puck in front of him and he’d win 3-5 cups

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

He sells the farm and accumulates some decent prospects only to lose nearly the 2 most important ones lol.

He literally rode LA into the ground way before he was ready along with others which is obvious.

Now he has a 3 goalie rotation half way through the season where none of which are going to get appropriate playing time.
Laughable.

This guy's a complete ****ing moron and never in all my years of watching/ playing hockey have I ever seen a team handled like this before.

Shesty, while highly touted, hasn't proven **** in this league yet.
All JG did to "lose" Kravstov (who is in Hartford right now) and Lias is send them down when they weren't ready for the NHL. Every GM does this every season many times.

I very seriously doubt this 3 goalie rotation will last. George will likely be traded soon I'd bet.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Wow. So much ire over this situation. It's really not the end of the world. You pretty much never get good value for goalies so at the end of the day it really doesn't matter that much. Georgiev has been better than expected, but Shesterkin has been the heir apparent for years now. The team will move Georgiev either at the deadline or this summer, and our pair for next season is set. Beyond that we'll figure it out, but I'm really not concerned about it.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Laughable.

This guy's a complete ****ing moron and never in all my years of watching/ playing hockey have I ever seen a team handled like this before.

Shesty, while highly touted, hasn't proven **** in this league yet.

After Lundqvist:

Huska
Wall
Olaf
some guy we draft this year

Reactions: haveandare

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I just watched the replay of the game and honestly, not that impressed by the kid. Sure he had some nice saves in the 2nd half of the game but he was bailed out by the offence and a horribly bad Devils goalie. Lots of shots against, yes, but in all honesty, how many of them were high quality chances?

Goals 1&2 were both on the kid and are goals that we kill Hank for.

Small sample sice but I dont see a huge difference between Shesty and Georgie at this moment.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

Ok- so does every single goalie to ever step foot on an NHL ice surface have the potential to be the best ever. My point is he’s literally as unproven at the NHL goalie as one can be. He’s played in much weaker leagues and done well. So far he has a 3.00 goals against average in two games in the NHL. That’s what we know. He had absurdly good stats at the lower level but again, stats for goalies are so easily skewed( was he playing behind a dominating defensive team, was the competition weak, did he have some off nights and give up a ton—skewing his numbers negatively— how many quality scoring chances did he face per night, etc...) That’s why I’ve maintained the only way to evaluate goalies is on technique- not stats— and no one is better suited to do that the Benoit the goalie coach.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I just watched the replay of the game and honestly, not that impressed by the kid. Sure he had some nice saves in the 2nd half of the game but he was bailed out by the offence and a horribly bad Devils goalie. Lots of shots against, yes, but in all honesty, how many of them were high quality chances?

Goals 1&2 were both on the kid and are goals that we kill Hank for.

Small sample sice but I dont see a huge difference between Shesty and Georgie at this moment.

I'm sure there are still nerves at play as the goals he's been allowing have been early in the game. Also, I wouldn't put the first one on him. Surprised you haven't been impressed... he gobbles up rebounds like Hank in his prime and showed us some of his puck handling prowess already. He's going to be a hoot to watch once he's more comfortable up here

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I'm sure there are still nerves at play as the goals he's been allowing have been early in the game. Also, I wouldn't put the first one on him. Surprised you haven't been impressed... he gobbles up rebounds like Hank in his prime and showed us some of his puck handling prowess already. He's going to be a hoot to watch once he's more comfortable up here
More reason to keep CK: breakaway feeds from the GK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad