Sherwood Hockey making a comeback?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow, that's pretty interesting...Byfield is a big, big ticket.

They were bought by Canadian Tire a couple years ago. I figured something might be brewing when I saw Trouba come back to return to play with a Rekker stick and Code V gloves but i didn't think they'd ever be relevant again...

But this signing is making me question that.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Wow, that's pretty interesting...Byfield is a big, big ticket.

They were bought by Canadian Tire a couple years ago. I figured something might be brewing when I saw Trouba come back to return to play with a Rekker stick and Code V gloves but i didn't think they'd ever be relevant again...

But this signing is making me question that.

Certainly looks like someone new in leadership is steering the ship. First, I can't tell if the CODE stick is actually made of graphite. That little grey and black strip where the blade is introduced was always on wood sticks - so naturally I thought this was wood. Secondly, that color scheme is awful lol. Who picked that!

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They took a few years off from the NHL to rebrand and make a comeback. My current go to sticks are EK65s (custom order). I’m excited to see what they do with the future.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
this is nice and all but it’s nothing but a fluff piece until they are relevant again and regain a significant share of the market.

the Byfield signing is a very nice start
I totally agree. I love my EK15 and my M90 shins are ok but do I feel the CODE V line is going to take off in the NHL? Not sure. They make solid stuff for a good retail price but I feel they won’t even come close to the big 3.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
The Rekker is such a great stick for a great price. I don't know if I'll use anything else for a while. I haven't used anything other than the EK15, but plan on buying an upgraded version when it breaks.
I know eh. Sadly couldn’t find a 365 in my preferred specs so I just got this (the wood retro colour too!!!) it’s dope. Had it for a few years and doesn’t have any issues. Used it yesterday and sniped a beauty

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
They took a few years off from the NHL to rebrand and make a comeback. My current go to sticks are EK65s (custom order). I’m excited to see what they do with the future.

It looks like their main lineup of sticks will be the Code, Rekker and T90 series:

SHERWOOD Hockey product catalog 2020

The Rekker is such a great stick for a great price. I don't know if I'll use anything else for a while. I haven't used anything other than the EK15, but plan on buying an upgraded version when it breaks.

I know a couple of guys on my team swear by the brand. One guy has like 5 Sherwood BPM sticks :laugh:. The other guy has been using the same T90 stick for years.

this is nice and all but it’s nothing but a fluff piece until they are relevant again and regain a significant share of the market.

the Byfield signing is a very nice start

IIRC they did have a big share in the goalie market years ago, but their player sponsorships dwindled down. Bobby Ryan (big one), Paul Stastny, Tomas Plekanic, Francois Beauchemin were some big players in the beginning. It then was just Ryan for the longest time.

Maybe Kaapo Kaako will get on board lol.

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It looks like their main lineup of sticks will be the Code, Rekker and T90 series:

SHERWOOD Hockey product catalog 2020
The Rekker is the low kick line while the T series is the mid kick. The code however is a new line altogether that I’ve yet to see in person. The T90s I did use I hated though but they were pro stocks so who knows if they were equal to the actual t90 design. My EK65s are a mid kick with a stiffer blade but still the same shaft construction. Such amazing sticks.

*scratch that, it was the Nexon N12 and T100 which I had and hated.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think Trouba is a Sherwood guy as well.

He is. He was historically a Sherwood guy before they ceased nhl operations a few years ago but when the NHL returned to play he was back with Sherwood stick and gloves. So obviously something changed around that time with Sherwood and now this signing.

Kakko was also using a Sherwood twig in the Play-in Round and Exhibition games.

Last edited:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I know eh. Sadly couldn’t find a 365 in my preferred specs so I just got this (the wood retro colour too!!!) it’s dope. Had it for a few years and doesn’t have any issues. Used it yesterday and sniped a beauty

They still have the wood retro colour? I thought they only made those on the ek15 and discontinued them? That was the most beautiful stick I've ever laid eyes on and was super disappointed they stopped making them.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Kakko was also using a Sherwood twig in the Play-in Round and Exhibition games.

gettyimages-1227871795.jpg gettyimages-1262491991-2048x2048.jpg

I'm very surprised Kaako is using a Sherwood - but I like these 'other' companies to perform. Having Byfield though seems like a big entry way to get into the league

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
They still have the wood retro colour? I thought they only made those on the ek15 and discontinued them? That was the most beautiful stick I've ever laid eyes on and was super disappointed they stopped making them.
Yes. I have one of them. They don’t seem to make them anymore. I got super lucky on a close out sale about a year back. Haven’t broken it yet.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Has anybody given Sherwood a go lately (even with the BPM, Rekker, or Code Series)? Are they durable?

Because I'm a smaller player (weigh like 50 pounds lol), I like using a shorter stick for Floor/Dek hockey. I feel like it's better for my stickhandling and shooting. I'm really thinking about buying one of these just for fun:

Sher-Wood PlayRite 3 Junior Hockey Stick

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It’s a great thing, competition will force all the more common manufacturers to create better products.

Bauer has dominated the market up until a few years ago, and CCM overtook them recently.

Other brands like Warrior and True also make good products, now Sherwood can be an equivalent name to these guys, adding more pressure onto the Bauer/CCM monopoly.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
It’s a great thing, competition will force all the more common manufacturers to create better products.

Bauer has dominated the market up until a few years ago, and CCM overtook them recently.

Other brands like Warrior and True also make good products, now Sherwood can be an equivalent name to these guys, adding more pressure onto the Bauer/CCM monopoly.
I so agree I miss the days when there were so many brands: Bauer, Nike, cooper, itech, mission, CCM, rbk, jofa, Montreal, titan, Sherwood, TPS, Warrior, MIA, innovative, combat, among many others. Now it’s CCM Bauer true warrior basically. And the latter doesn’t have skates. There is no diversity anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad