Sherwood Hockey making a comeback?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s a great thing, competition will force all the more common manufacturers to create better products.

Bauer has dominated the market up until a few years ago, and CCM overtook them recently.

Other brands like Warrior and True also make good products, now Sherwood can be an equivalent name to these guys, adding more pressure onto the Bauer/CCM monopoly.

Only if the competition is making products that are equal or better than the big name manufacturers.

From what I've heard and read about the new Code stuff (protective and sticks) from Sherwood, first impressions haven't been great. They will eat into CCM/Bauer's market share in Canada as it seems to my eyes that Canadian Tire, who acquired the Sherwood trademarks, is filling up their shelves with Sherwood stuff (in particular sticks) and not re-stocking as much CCM/Bauer. As they also own Sportchek, they can let Sportchek cater to the CCM and Bauer stick fans. This will help Sherwood gain a footing in smaller communities that may have a Canadian Tire but not a Sportchek.

True's new protective is a step up from what they previously made, which was crap IMO from the stuff I tried on. Their gloves were awful. That Z-palm was so gimmicky, glad I stayed away from them when I went new glove shopping a couple years ago.

True IMO should stay with Sticks and Skates, those they do very, very well. I think they are wasting their time and effort trying to cut out a piece of the market in protective.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
From what I've heard and read about the new Code stuff (protective and sticks) from Sherwood, first impressions haven't been great.

I follow some pro-stock hockey accounts on Instagram and they all say the same thing: the Sherwood design is ugly. Why couldn't it be simple like a black and white finish a la Easton Stealth RS, or a Bauer Nexus 1000? I noticed someone asked the other day on the Sherwood Instagram account if the TPS technology was still being used to this day, in which they said no. Matthew Tkachuk was seen sporting the stick and gloves.

I so agree I miss the days when there were so many brands: Bauer, Nike, cooper, itech, mission, CCM, rbk, jofa, Montreal, titan, Sherwood, TPS, Warrior, MIA, innovative, combat, among many others. Now it’s CCM Bauer true warrior basically. And the latter doesn’t have skates. There is no diversity anymore.

Not a ton of diversity when the bigger companies gobble up the others when they don't sell. I actually wonder how many Stick Brands would exist if they did not have to pay the NHL a fee to have their brand represented.

Now that I found out that Sherwood does not use the technology that TPS had when they bought them out, I wonder what happened to it. The TPS r10 and their crazy whip flex made that my favorite stick of all time. I was told a long time ago that the Warrior Widow had an insane whip flex point.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
Yeah I’ve seen enough about the code protective to never buy it. I was considering the shoulder pads but the reviews I’ve seen on it all were terrible. I wore 11k Reebok’s for years but just recently got a pair of CLs on Kijiji for cheap. Got super lucky hardly worn and much more what I’m looking for in my league.

the elbows look horrible. The rekker ones seem better more standard. Shins I’ve never had my hands on yet.
The gloves don’t look too bad. But I don’t feel they compete with pro stock gloves (all I wear) or even retail CCM/ Bauer. Maybe more on a. Level with true gloves.
Thank Christ they got rid of the Z palm. Horrible feeling even just trying then on. Hope their next line is better they look nicer.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
I'm seriously considering it. It's not like I'm such a good player that it would make much difference in my actual game, and there's a heavy nostalgia factor.
I would too but I’m a huge composite user and have never used wood before. I’d prob not be able to shoot it. But I would kill for them to do a Code V wrapped like a 5030 or something like the EK15 vintage (I own it and love it!)

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I would too but I’m a huge composite user and have never used wood before. I’d prob not be able to shoot it. But I would kill for them to do a Code V wrapped like a 5030 or something like the EK15 vintage (I own it and love it!)

Damn. Would love to find an EK15 vintage. Thing looks beautiful.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
Damn. Would love to find an EK15 vintage. Thing looks beautiful.
I got mine maybe a year ago from sport check here in Canada super cheap on clearance. I haven’t seen one again sadly. Don’t know how they had my exact specs. Just lucky I guess. Going to use it tomorrow on the Odr.
It’s not the best in terms of performance (Easton, ccm and warrior top sticks) outperform it but it’s hella light and it’s a decent stick.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So I picked up a Sherwood N12 the other day, through a mutual seller. Boy am I happy with it.

I don’t have many sticks to compare it to, but my Supreme 1S Ignite feels heavier than this. Super light and agile. I was so used to taking slapshots in Dek Hockey that I have to start using snap and wrist shots again.

Attachments

• 1CEE33D8-8CF6-458C-96EF-A80F4F8AA4C2.jpeg
    1CEE33D8-8CF6-458C-96EF-A80F4F8AA4C2.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
So I picked up a Sherwood N12 the other day, through a mutual seller. Boy am I happy with it.

I don’t have many sticks to compare it to, but my Supreme 1S Ignite feels heavier than this. Super light and agile. I was so used to taking slapshots in Dek Hockey that I have to start using snap and wrist shots again.
Nice twig! My bro loves the n12 I think he still has 3 of them from close out sales. Good find!

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I follow some pro-stock hockey accounts on Instagram and they all say the same thing: the Sherwood design is ugly. Why couldn't it be simple like a black and white finish a la Easton Stealth RS, or a Bauer Nexus 1000? I noticed someone asked the other day on the Sherwood Instagram account if the TPS technology was still being used to this day, in which they said no. Matthew Tkachuk was seen sporting the stick and gloves.

Not a ton of diversity when the bigger companies gobble up the others when they don't sell. I actually wonder how many Stick Brands would exist if they did not have to pay the NHL a fee to have their brand represented.

Now that I found out that Sherwood does not use the technology that TPS had when they bought them out, I wonder what happened to it. The TPS r10 and their crazy whip flex made that my favorite stick of all time. I was told a long time ago that the Warrior Widow had an insane whip flex point.

Man I fell in love with TPS and the R10. The closest thing I found to the same consistent release was the Easton Stealth S10. Seems like if I fall in love with a product that company goes defunct.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
98244A96-3D98-41E1-A238-725794F84448.png

Looks like we will be seeing more of Sherwood this year! Glad to see it :thumbu:

Man I fell in love with TPS and the R10. The closest thing I found to the same consistent release was the Easton Stealth S10. Seems like if I fall in love with a product that company goes defunct.

Man, it’s my favorite stick of all time. I retired it now, but in HS I used it constantly. I think the R10 came out right before Sherwood took it over the brand and re-did the design. None of the stores in my area carried the products back then :thumbd:

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Another Sherwood sighting! :nod::thumbu:

First one is Kaapo Kaako with the Rekker M90.

0B4FFB3F-9B4E-4411-93F8-4BEB904894F1.jpeg

Better view here:

C3A6B6FE-BD69-4699-8CE6-32D796E0F2EE.jpeg

now, here is a big surprise for many. Mikko Rantenen sporting a blacked out/dark red Rekker :eek::)

0FA4243B-1132-401F-BE0B-0EA3D5F2C4D0.jpeg

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I used a Sherwood Junior Curve as a kid. They cost $10. That was 50 years ago.

I didn't know that anybody still makes wooden sticks.

I guy with half of a backyard rink invited me over. I would need skates (Bauer Panthers?) to go with a stick or two.

Evergreen

Looks like Sherwood is sponsoring Quinton Byfield:

Unsure if anyone else has some inside scoop, but looks like Sherwood is on the coming up again. Connor Brown is also sponsored by them. Maybe Kaako will be next?

I believe Matthew Tkachuk has also been signed by Sherwood. He was wearing Sherwood gloves and using a Sherwood stick in camp. It's nice to see a smaller company making a comeback. It's boring only having a few mega-companies like Bauer and CCM dominate 90% of the market. I miss the days of Graf, Easton, Tackla, Winwell, Christian, etc.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I believe Matthew Tkachuk has also been signed by Sherwood. He was wearing Sherwood gloves and using a Sherwood stick in camp. It's nice to see a smaller company making a comeback. It's boring only having a few mega-companies like Bauer and CCM dominate 90% of the market. I miss the days of Graf, Easton, Tackla, Winwell, Christian, etc.

Sherwood was bought by Canadian Tire Group. They are anything but small. Given that Canadian Tire Group also owns the largest sporting goods retailer in Canada in Sportchek, it actually should give Sherwood an advantage over the competition.

Canadian Tire buys Sher-Wood Athletics Group's global hockey trademarks

Winn-well are still around. So is Vic Hockey. I think Graf still make skates. It's just that the NHL license is only for I guess now the big 5 (CCM, Bauer, Warrior, True and Sherwood).

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Evergreen

Sherwood was bought by Canadian Tire Group. They are anything but small. Given that Canadian Tire Group also owns the largest sporting goods retailer in Canada in Sportchek, it actually should give Sherwood an advantage over the competition.

Canadian Tire buys Sher-Wood Athletics Group's global hockey trademarks

Winn-well are still around. So is Vic Hockey. I think Graf still make skates. It's just that the NHL license is only for I guess now the big 5 (CCM, Bauer, Warrior, True and Sherwood).
Thanks for the info. I still like seeing a little more variety in the gear out there. I hope some additional brands make it into NHL players' hand in the near future.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad