Speculation: Shero Ready to Talk Extensions for UFA Blueliners

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He didn't offer an extension after the season. He did, supposedly, try to re-sign him during the season for next to no salary increase.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_557912.html#axzz2o9op0RMM

Right. So Shero didn't really offer Malone an extension. He offered him a lowball offer mid season as Malone was in the middle of the best season of his career. I think Ray saw the writing on the wall and was just throwing a hail mary at that point.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That'd be more of a result of a team overpaying than what his true worth is. I think he was looking at around 3 mil before he signed last time. I think 4-4.5 is what the number will be in free agency for the most part this time around.

If he takes a similar discount as last time, I think we could get him around 3.5 as long as we offer decent term. Up to him if he's willing to do that again. He has it pretty good here.

Cap going up in a big way, he's a 27 year-old RH two-way defenseman, former first rounder, and he's having a breakout season.

If he hits free agency I have no doubt that someone would throw stupid money at him. He's having a great season and all, but I just don't see him re-signing given just how big of a raise he could get.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Cap going up in a big way, he's a 27 year-old RH two-way defenseman, former first rounder, and he's having a breakout season.

If he hits free agency I have no doubt that someone would throw stupid money at him. He's having a great season and all, but I just don't see him re-signing given just how big of a raise he could get.

He'd be a great fit for a 1 year deal IMO. He gets to stay here and we get an out if we need it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Realistically, I see Shero moving Despres. He's been so solid and good this year, but I just feel that he's the odd man out. I think it'll be to Anaheim for Kyle Palmeri. Just a gut feeling. They worked on him defensivley in WBS, maybe to increase his trade value? I wouldn't move Despres. But I think we'll see Orpik and Niskanen both re-signed. 2 years each, close in money. Not what I would do, but I think that's what happens

You may or may not be right about Elmer getting moved for someone like Palmieri, and I won't be surprised (as I said yesterday) if Orpik is given the Dupuis treatment and re-signed this summer, but there's almost 0 chance Brooks Orpik will take a 2 year contract at age 33. Anywhere. He'll go take a 4 year deal from Carolina or some place like that is thin on experienced D, rather than sign here for 2. He's looking for a retirement deal most likely. One last chance to cash in; he'll want term and and a raise and if we don't give him decent term and raise, he'll walk.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yea, THIS is his "one-year prove it" deal (i realize it's not a one-year contract), this is his peak (or very close to it). 99 times out of 100, his value would only go down next year if he stayed with the Pens (he's not going to get all these minutes if Letang or Martin are healthy).

The best thing for Niskanen is to get his money this off-season, from the Pens or otherwise.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
As I've said before, if I were Shero, I would be looking for hockey trades for a guy like Niskanen and Engelland. I'd add Orpik but I think the odds of him getting traded are less than 1%

Devin Setoguchi continues to be a guy I'd love to see work with Sid. I think they both play at the same break neck speed, and the difference between Seto and guys like Dupuis and to a lesser extent, a guy like Kunitz...he is adept at making plays and taking shots at those speeds. I think if Ray could get him on a 3 year deal or so for around 3.25-3.5 million bucks...that'd be great for us.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Right. So Shero didn't really offer Malone an extension. He offered him a lowball offer mid season as Malone was in the middle of the best season of his career. I think Ray saw the writing on the wall and was just throwing a hail mary at that point.

I'm trying to figure out if this is serious.

Ray Shero, the best GM in hockey, doesn't think he'll be able to resign Malone, so he just decides to lowball him instead of offering him what he could offer.

I suppose this is where being a Ray Shero apologist leads.

Oh, and by the way, here's what happened: Malone was offered that deal in January, if memory serves, well before he really took off. A little low, given the market and Malone's career to date. Malone's agent asked for something around 3M on around a 5 year deal. It would have been a risky proposition for Shero. Asking if Malone was a 3M forward in January 2008 would've been like asking if Scuderi was a 2M defenseman. But, by the time Shero realized that Malone was worth 3M (once he got to see him for a few months with Malkin), Malone was thinking closer to 4M.

I don't have the links. I'm not going to bother to look for them. But, if it makes you feel better, I will add that Shero got it right with Letang and Neal and maybe even Staal. He offered deals that were fair but not full market value, in good part a reflection of what the player was doing but also in part a reflection of what he thought player could do.

So, why not just admit the truth here? Shero screwed the pooch on Malone. Did the same on Scuderi. But, he also has gotten it right a bit with guys like Neal and before him Letang and Staal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As I've said before, if I were Shero, I would be looking for hockey trades for a guy like Niskanen and Engelland. I'd add Orpik but I think the odds of him getting traded are less than 1%

Devin Setoguchi continues to be a guy I'd love to see work with Sid. I think they both play at the same break neck speed, and the difference between Seto and guys like Dupuis and to a lesser extent, a guy like Kunitz...he is adept at making plays and taking shots at those speeds. I think if Ray could get him on a 3 year deal or so for around 3.25-3.5 million bucks...that'd be great for us.

Why is Winnipeg, a team loaded with defense and defensive prospects and with ever diminishing playoff hopes, going to make a hockey trade for a UFA defenseman?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You may or may not be right about Elmer getting moved for someone like Palmieri, and I won't be surprised (as I said yesterday) if Orpik is given the Dupuis treatment and re-signed this summer, but there's almost 0 chance Brooks Orpik will take a 2 year contract at age 33. Anywhere. He'll go take a 4 year deal from Carolina or some place like that is thin on experienced D, rather than sign here for 2. He's looking for a retirement deal most likely. One last chance to cash in; he'll want term and and a raise and if we don't give him decent term and raise, he'll walk.

4 yrs, 16M (maybe 18M) would be the floor, IMO, that Orpik would take IF he's approaching things like Dupuis or Kunitz did.

I personally pray that Orpik is greedier than that, because I think that Shero will give him that kind of term and money.

Call if it a hunch. :cry:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Cap is going back up to where it was when Nisky signed his current deal. I don't doubt a couple GMs out there would throw stupid money at him. But I'd say his real value is closer to what Shero would be willing to throw at him than 5+.

He's a #4/5 type. Any GM thinking he's more than that and would use him in such a role is likely not competing for a Cup anytime soon. I get the feeling he'd like to stay here if at all possible.

But I have no problem with him walking or being traded. Especially if the cap space is put to good use.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
4 yrs, 16M (maybe 18M) would be the floor, IMO, that Orpik would take IF he's approaching things like Dupuis or Kunitz did.

I personally pray that Orpik is greedier than that, because I think that Shero will give him that kind of term and money.

Call if it a hunch. :cry:

Yeah I'm hoping he's shooting for the stars. 5x5 type deal. Take the money Brooks.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Yeah like Kirk said, Winnipeg isn't really a great trade partner for us. Best thing we could do is move Nisky for a 2nd+ and then flip that for Seto.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Cap is going back up to where it was when Nisky signed his current deal. I don't doubt a couple GMs out there would throw stupid money at him. But I'd say his real value is closer to what Shero would be willing to throw at him than 5+.

He's a #4/5 type. Any GM thinking he's more than that and has a need for him is likely not competing for a Cup anytime soon.

But I have no problem with him walking or being traded. Especially if the cap space is put to good use.

5M might be high, but he won't lack for suitors at 4M and one may be desperate enough to go north of 4.5M long term.

Take a look at the UFA defensemen.

Phaneuf will make bank, assuming he's not resigned.

Someone is giving Dan Girardi 7 years, 35M+, and I could see a desperate team pushing 6M.

Boyle and Markov will get one last deal like Gonchar got from Dallas. And, an older guy like Klesla or Robidas may get more than he should depending upon how things shake out.

Less 'proven' young guys like Fayne and Nikitin will get paid.

But, here's why I think you're underselling what Nisky will get: Kyle Quincey. Detroit is paying him 3.775M right now. The cap is going up a MINIMUM of about 12%.

You telling me someone won't give Quincey over 4M? And, if someone is giving Quincey over 4M, then someone sure as **** will be giving Nisky north of 4.5M.

Aside from Phaneuf and Girardi, name a guy you see getting more on a multi year deal than Nisky. THAT is why I wouldn't be stunned to hear that Nisky is getting 7yr, 30M+ offers (as in plural) and that someone offers about 7 yr, 35M.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah like Kirk said, Winnipeg isn't really a great trade partner for us. Best thing we could do is move Nisky for a 2nd+ and then flip that for Seto.

That I could see, in terms of moving a future for Seto.

BUT, I don't see Shero trading Nisky for a 2nd. Teams interested in Nisky will be contenders. A mid to late 2nd? Methinks Shero will see greater value holding Nisky for the playoffs, using a Maatta-Nisky 3rd pairing, and then moving Nisky's rights before the draft for a 4th or 5th round pick.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm trying to figure out if this is serious.

Ray Shero, the best GM in hockey, doesn't think he'll be able to resign Malone, so he just decides to lowball him instead of offering him what he could offer.

I suppose this is where being a Ray Shero apologist leads.

Oh, and by the way, here's what happened: Malone was offered that deal in January, if memory serves, well before he really took off. A little low, given the market and Malone's career to date. Malone's agent asked for something around 3M on around a 5 year deal. It would have been a risky proposition for Shero. Asking if Malone was a 3M forward in January 2008 would've been like asking if Scuderi was a 2M defenseman. But, by the time Shero realized that Malone was worth 3M (once he got to see him for a few months with Malkin), Malone was thinking closer to 4M.

I don't have the links. I'm not going to bother to look for them. But, if it makes you feel better, I will add that Shero got it right with Letang and Neal and maybe even Staal. He offered deals that were fair but not full market value, in good part a reflection of what the player was doing but also in part a reflection of what he thought player could do.

So, why not just admit the truth here? Shero screwed the pooch on Malone. Did the same on Scuderi. But, he also has gotten it right a bit with guys like Neal and before him Letang and Staal.

Cool your ****in jets, buckwheat. The truth is none of us know the truth. So why don't you admit that. All the information I have is all the information you have, and neither one of us has any ****in clue about what was said or done. So with that being said...

I don't necessarily think he screwed the pooch on Malone. I think it was a situation where Shero wasn't going to pay for a guy who has been wildly inconsistent, very well may have been a flash in the pan, and was seeking a huge number due to a great season which he has never proven he could duplicate. Now could Shero have curbed this by offering Ryan 3.5 million in January? Sure, but that's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't done squat. Using hindsight, 3.5 was a good number.

At that time, 4 million dollars was an amount of money reserved for consistent top 6 wingers, not even getting near the number he got at 4.5. The deal Malone got is the one he wanted. He wasn't taking one cent less than his market value to stay in Pittsburgh. It was a crazy deal then, it's a crazy deal now, and I'm glad it's one we don't have to deal with. I also think Shero learned his lesson that offseason when it came to Hossa. He put all of his eggs in one basket and Ryan Malone be damned, he wasn't going to stand in the way of us signing probably the best winger in the game at that time. Again, probably a gaff on Shero's part, but who would have known things would have turned out that way.

Ray did **** up on Scuderi though. He has publicly admitted as much.

Why is Winnipeg, a team loaded with defense and defensive prospects and with ever diminishing playoff hopes, going to make a hockey trade for a UFA defenseman?

Never said we should trade for Setoguchi.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Regarding "screwing the pooch" with Malone, I don't really see it that way. Nashville guaranteed Malone wouldn't be re-signed when they gave big money to Erat, who was, at the time, a very close comparable, numerically. Think Shero looked at the Erat contract, looked at the value he thought Malone would bring and decided the two didn't match.

I had no problem letting him walk the second the Erat deal was announced and, in hindsight, that looks to have been the correct decision.

Which is the same thing Jmelm is suggesting he do with Orpik.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Regarding "screwing the pooch" with Malone, I don't really see it that way. Nashville guaranteed Malone wouldn't be re-signed when they gave big money to Erat, who was, at the time, a very close comparable, numerically. Think Shero looked at the Erat contract, looked at the value he thought Malone would bring and decided the two didn't match.

I had no problem letting him walk the second the Erat deal was announced and, in hindsight, that looks to have been the correct decision.

Which is the same thing Jmelm is suggesting he do with Orpik.

I would rather offer Orpik nothing than offer Orpik something.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I would rather offer Orpik nothing than offer Orpik something.

I agree. I would like to trade him NOW. Give him the holidays, give him a couple of weeks afterwards to show he's healthy, and then trade him as soon as we get a good offer and/or take the best offer we can get at the deadline. He's not part of the plan going forward, so let's turn the page and give the guys who are the opportunity.

I don't agree with you / like this plan. I think it's stupid to pay 3.5M for a third pairing defensmen and it will push back the development of our prospects.

I also don't think Dumoulin or Harrington should/will be on our top pair in 2015-16.

Well, before this season, no one ever would have suggested Maatta would even make the team, let alone play on our "top pair' (whatever that has been this season). If you're right and our prospects don't develop, then we could simply hold on to Nisky or Scuderi instead of trading them. But the likelihood of ONE of those guys (Despres/Dumo/Harry) NOT being a capable partner for Letang? Very close to zero by that time. And if so, worst case, we just play him with Maatta or one of the veterans again until they are. But these guys are developing rapidly. And in truth, our "top pair" at times this year has been Orpik--Martin and not necessarily "whoever"--Letang. I think our top-4 is our top-4 and may very well be a 1a and 1b situation, and we can develop a big, tough, physical & responsible "shut down" or 2-way pair with Bortuzzo and someone. So I'm not hung up on "$x is too much for a 3rd pairing guy". Each of our pairs can bring great balance and their own strength, and a couple of key guys (i.e. Letang, Martin, Niskanen) may be leaned on a little more heavily in certain situations depending on the need of the game at that time.

I have been as big a fan and proponent of a guy like Harry as much as anyone. But the downside of keeping him in the AHL for an extra year or two is very insignificant in the long run. It will not hinder his development. It's very simple: Despres makes the team full time next year (due to waivers and expected merit), Dumo makes the team the year after for the same reason, and then Harry makes the team after his 3rd year of junior at the latest, when he would be waiver-ineligible. Plus, there's likely to be injuries and chances along the way for these guys to get a taste. They would develop PERFECTLY fine in this scenario.

Or, we trade Niskanen AND Orpik right now. But I don't think that will happen, because it's too ballsy and bordering on not smart. It is prudent to keeping at least one of them for this year's playoffs. So considering Nisky is at his peak and will only get better, he's the guy to keep over Orpik, who is only going to be on the downswing of his career.

And like I said: even with a doubling of Sutters salary, a doubling of Nisky's salary (he would take that in a heartbeat), and Letang's + Malkin's raises, we will have more than $2 million for next year alone, with no one else to re-sign, and another significant salary bump after that. You are honestly telling me we can't afford this?

And should we find a great winger who wants to sign with us? Then I would easily trade Niskanen or Scuderi at that time (and honestly, I think Nisky is a more valuable commodity going forward). But I don't want to let Nisky AND Orpik leave for nothing, just because we have an outside shot at signing....I don't know, Vanek or Setoguchi? I'd rather not count my chickens before they hatch. I'd rather re-sign Nisky, and then move out one of our Dmen to give us cap space if we need it, because we may lose out on those sweepstakes. Remember what happened with Suter and Parise?

I think Shero will re-sign Martin this summer. And at similar money. That should be the top priority.

Let Orpik move on. Take a look at the available forwards. And if there's money left over to sign Nisky, great.

Agree with the first part wholeheartedly. But we have the ability to re-sign Niskanen NOW. Nisky would give us some nice security just in case we didn't re-sign Martin, and even if we did, having both of those guys in the fold give us more trade options going forward.

But like I said above, until we had a forward in hand, why risk losing a Dman for nothing? Sign the Dmen now and trade one of them later if you need to create space. And heck: if we traded Orpik (or Orpik+) this season (say for a good young winger), we may not even need to sign one as a UFA.

But he likes this team. If we can get him at a bit of a discount, I have zero problem signing him as long as it's the standard "8 teams you won't accept a trade to" clause. Nisky strikes me as a guy who would take the chance to be here. He likes it here, and I think it's worth testing those waters. And if he has ZERO interest in re-signing here, then we should trade him BEFORE the deadline, when everyone is healthy. But Nisky doesn't strike me as that player who won't show his cards. I think if we make him a fair offer, he'll take it. And if we can afford it, we should do it. Like I said, he's a hedge against losing Martin, and even if we can keep both, he'll be more valuable than Scuderi going forward.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
5M might be high, but he won't lack for suitors at 4M and one may be desperate enough to go north of 4.5M long term.

Take a look at the UFA defensemen.

Phaneuf will make bank, assuming he's not resigned.

Someone is giving Dan Girardi 7 years, 35M+, and I could see a desperate team pushing 6M.

Boyle and Markov will get one last deal like Gonchar got from Dallas. And, an older guy like Klesla or Robidas may get more than he should depending upon how things shake out.

Less 'proven' young guys like Fayne and Nikitin will get paid.

But, here's why I think you're underselling what Nisky will get: Kyle Quincey. Detroit is paying him 3.775M right now. The cap is going up a MINIMUM of about 12%.

You telling me someone won't give Quincey over 4M? And, if someone is giving Quincey over 4M, then someone sure as **** will be giving Nisky north of 4.5M.

Aside from Phaneuf and Girardi, name a guy you see getting more on a multi year deal than Nisky. THAT is why I wouldn't be stunned to hear that Nisky is getting 7yr, 30M+ offers (as in plural) and that someone offers about 7 yr, 35M.

So, "older guys" like Klesla and Robidas?

You realize they are younger than both Gonch and Robidas?

Robidas has been solid in Dallas. Look at Ottawa and ourselves the year after Gonch left. Complete Defensive breakdown.

Have fun with Megna on the second line though.

Last edited by a moderator:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Cool your ****in jets, buckwheat. The truth is none of us know the truth. So why don't you admit that. All the information I have is all the information you have, and neither one of us has any ****in clue about what was said or done. So with that being said...

I don't necessarily think he screwed the pooch on Malone. I think it was a situation where Shero wasn't going to pay for a guy who has been wildly inconsistent, very well may have been a flash in the pan, and was seeking a huge number due to a great season which he has never proven he could duplicate. Now could Shero have curbed this by offering Ryan 3.5 million in January? Sure, but that's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't done squat. Using hindsight, 3.5 was a good number.

At that time, 4 million dollars was an amount of money reserved for consistent top 6 wingers, not even getting near the number he got at 4.5. The deal Malone got is the one he wanted. He wasn't taking one cent less than his market value to stay in Pittsburgh. It was a crazy deal then, it's a crazy deal now, and I'm glad it's one we don't have to deal with. I also think Shero learned his lesson that offseason when it came to Hossa. He put all of his eggs in one basket and Ryan Malone be damned, he wasn't going to stand in the way of us signing probably the best winger in the game at that time. Again, probably a gaff on Shero's part, but who would have known things would have turned out that way.

Ray did **** up on Scuderi though. He has publicly admitted as much.

Never said we should trade for Setoguchi.

The deal Malone got in June is the deal Malone wanted in June. The deal Malone would've taken in January is another matter. It just happens that THEN Ray Shero was only offering a slight raise, not the 3M Malone was seeking.

It's called a timeline. I know that it can be confusing, but it's a similar situation to Scuderi, who in November 2008 could've been signed for a bit less than what he got in July 2009

But, go ahead and call me 'buckwheat' and intone that Ray's only mistakes are the ones that he admits, strawman.

EDIT: Sorry, I just caught that "I also think Shero learned his lesson that offseason when it came to Hossa. He put all of his eggs in one basket and Ryan Malone be damned, he wasn't going to stand in the way of us signing probably the best winger in the game at that time." I'm assuming then that the Parise and no plan B thing was just some horrid dream, and not history repeating itself for the king of WASH, RINSE, REPEAT. Thanks.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So, "older guys" like Klesla and Robidas?

You realize they are younger than both Gonch and Robidas?

Robidas has been solid in Dallas. Look at Ottawa and ourselves the year after Gonch left. Complete Defensive breakdown.

Have fun with Megna on the second line though.

1. Klesla and Robidas are older than Gonch. But, the whole post was addressing Nisky, and Klesla and Robidas are younger than Gonch (and Boyle) but older than Nisky.

2. What does Megna have to do with a post about what Nisky's free agent value will be on the open market that addresses mpp9's suggestion that 3.5M for a long term deal for Nisky won't be too far off what he'd get in the open market?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad