Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe extended 2 years

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
management is tied to the core.

for me, a Dubas replacement needs to come in and really evaluate 16 and 34.

2 years to sign Matthews before he holds all the cards.

I don’t think Dubas can be objective. He’s already unpopular, if trading 34 is inevitable, he’d probably not politically survive the backlash of the fan base.
Why is he tied to the core? He didn’t directly draft any of them, and most management teams get a few bullets, not one. He spent one sacking Babs, they’ll spend another making changes to the core.
You don’t throw away an entire regime because of a few players inability to get the job done, unless they outright refuse to make the necessary changes to the roster.
Basically unless the brass refuses to change to core they’ll get to be the ones to fix it.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why is he tied to the core? He didn’t directly draft any of them, and most management teams get a few bullets, not one. He spent one sacking Babs, they’ll spend another making changes to the core.
You don’t throw away an entire regime because of a few players inability to get the job done, unless they outright refuse to make the necessary changes to the roster.
Basically unless the brass refuses to change to core they’ll get to be the ones to fix it.

He’s tied himself to the core.

July 22: Kyle Dubas Is Sticking With His Core | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

And all the decisions that flowed from it. Eg. Losing Hyman.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Dude has a flair for the dramatics
For all the wrong reasons

Get this college coach out of here. Get me someone who will win the crap out of these players

Get me Torts or Boudreau. I don't care

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
They were right to.

This was the guy who scratched Spezza in the home opener with his friends and family in the crowd and was basically sabotaging his GM.

Not the coach any team should want.

Babcock definitely lost his job because he couldn’t deal with Dubas being his boss. You don’t win those battles, no matter how right you think you are. The longer this goes, it’s looking more and more like he was right.

Reactions: makbeer

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

They’ve been refusing to change. How many times do they have to witness failure?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No it looks like both were wrong.

Babcock was wrong to leak the list Marner created, but he admitted that and apologized long before it was a story. For most reasonable people, that’s a non-issue. If he lied about it, or tried to cover it up, or did it again, then it’s a big problem. Make a mistake once, admit it, and apologize seems extremely reasonable to me.

Other than that, he did a really good job until the players were given the green light from Dubas to quit on the coach. The team was progressing nicely. The players were developing nicely. I know people didn’t like the ice time distribution at times, but I’m not convinced he had even swapped from a development coaching style to a winning coaching style. I thought he was still using ice time to teach lessons rather than just win games.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Playing Marleau over Matthews? Undermining the GM? Goalie management? Outcoached in the playoffs? Scratching Spezza. Marner list...

No one wants to touch him now. Sorry he is not a good answer to our problems as well.

Reactions: griffon1

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Is Keefe the right coach?

He is now. They could have fired him during off season and hired Gerard Gallant. They missed out on that opportunity

Now they are too invested in him. They are not firing him. They'll say shiiit like the answer is the dressing room

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Playing Marleau over Matthews?

To teach Matthews about earning our ice time...

Undermining the GM?

Dumb decision, but it looks like Dubas isn't particularly competent.

Goalie management?

Yeah, Keefe just getting 0 out of 4 points by doing the opposite of Babcock was brilliant!

Outcoached in the playoffs?

Debatable. They played against teams that were genuinely better than them.

Scratching Spezza.

May have been a teaching moment.

Marner list...

A mistake that he owned up to and apologized for. It wasn't an issue until Dubas needed to fabricate some ammo to fire him.

No one wants to touch him now. Sorry he is not a good answer to our problems as well.

Once he was fired, he can't come back. He's a non-option.

Reactions: nuck

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The beginning of this season reminds me a lot of the beginning of the 2019/20 season where the team stopped playing for Babcock. Just like that year, something seems really really off. I don't think that bodes well for Keefe...

Reactions: glue

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The beginning of this season reminds me a lot of the beginning of the 2019/20 season where the team stopped playing for Babcock. Just like that year, something seems really really off. I don't think that bodes well for Keefe...

Probably doesn’t bode well for Keefe but we really need to look at this core. Something is wrong and I hate to say it but I’m looking at Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
I think Keefe is suffocating the teams' creativity and skill with an overly safe system that values possessing the puck over trying to make a play.

You can see it in the way the guys are playing now vs how they played 2 years ago.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Probably doesn’t bode well for Keefe but we really need to look at this core. Something is wrong and I hate to say it but I’m looking at Matthews, Marner and Nylander.
Interesting question...

When Keefe gets fired, is the media also going to turn him into literal Hitler overnight?

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Playing Marleau over Matthews? Undermining the GM? Goalie management? Outcoached in the playoffs? Scratching Spezza. Marner list...

Playing Marleau over Matthews:
Making young players earn their ice time.

Undermining the GM:
Our GM is a tool.

Goalie Management?
He would have played Campbell vs SJS and gotten the points.

Scratching Spezza:
This one baffles me there is no justifying it, dickhead move.

Marner list:
Maybe he was running out of ways to get marner to play hard

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Playing Marleau over Matthews:
Making young players earn their ice time.

Undermining the GM:
Our GM is a tool.

Goalie Management?
He would have played Campbell vs SJS and gotten the points.

Scratching Spezza:
This one baffles me there is no justifying it, dickhead move.

Marner list:
Maybe he was running out of ways to get marner to play hard

I can see that.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Just stop Kyle is that you

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I think Keefe is suffocating the teams' creativity and skill with an overly safe system that values possessing the puck over trying to make a play.

You can see it in the way the guys are playing now vs how they played 2 years ago.
Or could it be spoiled entitled children getting bored of him and want change again

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
This guy was out coached in last season's playoffs and was given an extension at the beginning of this season? That should not have happened. He should of been given this season to prove himself.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If I may,

In the season in which Babcock was fired... at the 7th game mark:

Babcock’s record: 4-2-1

Keefe’s record: 2-4-1

just saying.

haven’t seen you for awhile, I assume you are “keeping it real.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events