Tribute Sheldon Keefe Discussion Part 2

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They believed in him enough to go from worst to a playoff spot.

They believed him enough for a 100 point season and record number of road wins.

They believed in him enough to set a single season points record.

Kadri believed in him enough to nix a trade and credit him with helping turn his life around.

He was most likely a miserable jerk at times through all of that.

At some point they decided to play. And some point they decided to quit.

Our choices are all ours.

And each of those resulted in a first round loss. Why would you have confidence in Babcock as a player?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They believed in him enough to go from worst to a playoff spot.

They believed him enough for a 100 point season and record number of road wins.

They believed in him enough to set a single season points record.

Kadri believed in him enough to nix a trade and credit him with helping turn his life around.

He was most likely a miserable jerk at times through all of that.

At some point they decided to play. And some point they decided to quit.

Our choices are all ours.

Timeline wose it looks the more time went on the less respect he seemed to be able to get from the room.

Which lines up to how things went in Detroit (albeot at a faster pace here). Plenty of media accounts that Babcock and a lot of Wings players were at the ends of theor ropes with one anlther.

Obviously some players are fine with it, but no denying that his heavihandedness pushes some players the wrong way

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Because he can tell you to dig in or even attack you on a personal level if necessary. What more could a player need?

I don't care if the coach is mean, quitting on someone because they're mean is weak.

I do understand quitting on a proven loser though. Especially if he's been a loser for a decade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its interesting even the smaller details that look dofferent since thr cosching change. Barrie has been producing at around a 50 point pace since the change - the PK also LOOKS better, the guys seem more prone to use their speed to be a bit more agressive there.

Thr change should have happend this summer

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't care if the coach is mean, quitting on someone because they're mean is weak.

I do understand quitting on a proven loser though. Especially if he's been a loser for a decade.
It's not just meanness, but it's probably impossible for players to respond to someone who offers nothing but that and telling them to just work harder. Keefe doesn't have a good track record at the NHL level either, but players actually respond to him because he can offer something deeper

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
And each of those resulted in a first round loss. Why would you have confidence in Babcock as a player?

Pretty feeble minded player that wouldn’t have confidence in the only guy in the hockey world to win a Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, World Cup Gold, a World Championship and Junior Hockey Gold.

I mean he’s number 8 on the all time list of Wins amongst NHL Coaches.

Confidence? :shakehead

They didn’t like him and quit.

That’s fine. Their choice.

I hope they like Keefe for awhile.

Reactions: egd27

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
That PP we had last night , although not scoring was a beauty to watch , quick passes , passing with a purpose , movement all around , what I liked the most was the efforts all over the zone for puck retrieval ...
Also the back checking from 99% of the entire team was incredible and I haven’t seen that in the last 5 years at least , they were dogged at coming back each and every time ..

Reactions: Al14

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Pretty feeble minded player that wouldn’t have confidence in the only guy in the hockey world to win a Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, World Cup Gold, a World Championship and Junior Hockey Gold.

I mean he’s number 8 on the all time list of Wins amongst NHL Coaches.

Confidence? :shakehead

They didn’t like him and quit.

That’s fine. Their choice.

I hope they like Keefe for awhile.

He can't win in the playoffs without at least 2-3 #1D and 2-3 Selke level forwards.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Timeline wose it looks the more time went on the less respect he seemed to be able to get from the room.

Which lines up to how things went in Detroit (albeot at a faster pace here). Plenty of media accounts that Babcock and a lot of Wings players were at the ends of theor ropes with one anlther.

Obviously some players are fine with it, but no denying that his heavihandedness pushes some players the wrong way

At some point... some players tuned him out. That was their choice in how they reacted. Others reacted differently.

For example,

"I personally, think Babs is a great coach & he helped that team over there get to the next step ..." - Nazem Kadri, Nov 23, 2019

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He can't win in the playoffs without at least 2-3 #1D and 2-3 Selke level forwards.

Maybe but you asked me about the players and why they would have confidence in the NHL's 8th best All Time Coach.

I gave you reasons. You don't like those reasons.

No real discussion here.

Dubas hasn't won in the playoffs either... how do you feel about him and his decision making?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Theor pro scouts may not have viewed him as an upgrade

The goalie also has to be able to fit easily into thr structure of the team, whoch is why i suspect a trade is more likely to happen

Do you honestly think their pro scouts don't view Desmith as an upgrade over a guy that hasn't won a game?

I find that unlikely

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Maybe but you asked me about the players and why they would have confidence in the NHL's 8th best All Time Coach.

I gave you reasons. You don't like those reasons.

No real discussion here.

Dubas hasn't won in the playoffs either... how do you feel about him and his decision making?

Players can only do so much for a Dinosaur coach. Getting dominated by Boston on the PP in the playoffs nope lets send out a one legged Hyman and Marner.

BOS1 just completely humiliating Marner Tavares and Hyman nah lets just keep getting out scored and out chanced instead of trying something different.

Putting out Marleau out when you need a goal sounds very optimal

TV timeout lets go with the 4th line even if the Matthews line is fresh and the only one who is scoring

Splitting a powerplay evenly between two units when even the Bruins Coaches and Players are confused

Marner and Tavares can't just go up to Babcock and be like hey Mike can you stop matching up against the Bergeron line it clearly isn't working we are getting out scored and out chanced.

You can only live on past accolades for so long you will never keep winning if you can't adapt and learn.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Players can only do so much for a Dinosaur coach. Getting dominated by Boston on the PP in the playoffs nope lets send out a one legged Hyman and Marner.

BOS1 just completely humiliating Marner Tavares and Hyman nah lets just keep getting out scored and out chanced instead of trying something different.

TV timeout lets go with the 4th line even if the Matthews line is fresh and the only one who is scoring

Splitting a powerplay evenly between two units when even the Bruins Coaches and Players are confused

Marner and Tavares can't just go up to Babcock and be like hey Mike can you stop matching up against the Bergeron line it clearly isn't working we are getting out scored and out chanced.

You can only live on past accolades for so long you will never keep winning if you can't adapt and learn.
Terrific takes

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Babcock played our Stars more than Boston played theirs.

Anyways, which was the favoured team going into each of those Boston series?

Did the favoured team win?

When you are done... since past accolades don’t matter...

Which current accolades do you ascribe to Dubas?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00