Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick for Buf 2019 3rd (conditions to move to a 4th)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Two goals in the 21 games since his 2-goal outing against the Devils on December and four since the Kings game at the start of the season. That's 40 games... PP time, some cushier zone starts, being motivated by being scratched... More than half (27) of his games played he has one shot (or less). Amazing what happens when someone isn't playing with Sidney Crosby and has to actually do things for themself.

He's quick. He's easily knocked off the puck and knocked off his feet. It is evident when he's motivated and those moments are few and far between. A perimeter player through and through who doesn't play up to the ice time he's granted, I only hope that some GM out there is looking at the pedigree and history, thinks the situation in Buffalo suppressed his offense and makes an offer of at least about what they paid to get him.

Conor, your effort in Buffalo has been seriously lacking. Please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Member 308457

I remember listening to The Instigators awhile back and one of them specifically wanted to acquire Sheary. I told my gym buddy, who used to be Sheary's hockey roommate at UMass Amherst. A few weeks later, they acquired Sheary. I always thought those two events were connected. In any case, a big fail.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Sheary is not good, hell he's downright maddening at times. But continually acquiring complimentary wingers while we don't have a center for them to play with is not a recipe for success.

Reactions: Chainshot

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I remember listening to The Instigators awhile back and one of them specifically wanted to acquire Sheary. I told my gym buddy, who used to be Sheary's hockey roommate at UMass Amherst. A few weeks later, they acquired Sheary. I always thought those two events were connected. In any case, a big fail.
I don't know about Rivet but I've heard Peters suggest some pretty horrible trades for the Sabres. I remember during the tank year, he suggested we trade what would be the Eichel pick for Ryan Johansen straight up when he was with Columbus.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sheary is not good, hell he's downright maddening at times. But continually acquiring complimentary wingers while we don't have a center for them to play with is not a recipe for success.

The assortment of "oh, he might be good with Eichel" has got to end, certainly. And the idea that someone who won somewhere else is going to always be a high-energy, high-effort individual no matter what needs to be binned as well. He's so often a passenger that when he puts in the effort it really stands out.

Reactions: Bferra13

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know about Rivet but I've heard Peters suggest some pretty horrible trades for the Sabres. I remember during the tank year, he suggested we trade what would be the Eichel pick for Ryan Johansen straight up when he was with Columbus.

They are both steeped in old school hockey. Rivet's endorsement of anyone starts with "He's a big, strong, physical player". It's not "he's fast, has great skills" or "this guy can shoot through a keyhole". Nope... always about the bigness and strongness and compeetz!

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They are both steeped in old school hockey. Rivet's endorsement of anyone starts with "He's a big, strong, physical player". It's not "he's fast, has great skills" or "this guy can shoot through a keyhole". Nope... always about the bigness and strongness and compeetz!

You may want to stay away from this really good interview with Berube.

:sarcasm:

Like always, to be successful, you need a blend of skill and physical play. I think this team needs a lot of both. But, getting a good 2C and some middle six forwards that can put the puck in the net would be nice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Finding a way to remove **** from the lineup limits the coach's options to put **** on the ice to play like ****. Excise the ****.

I feel like this still pertains, even more so with this deal in hindsight. Working Hunwick into the lineup put a resurgent Beaulieu in the pressbox instead of on the ice. The return in trade there was dampened after that broken relationship went public. Hunwick should never have seen the ice. Which again, comes back to remove the shit from the lineup to limit the coach's options to put shit on the ice to play like shit. Same same with so much of the lineup in Brotterill's tenure.

So is Sheary, Hunwick's eating of cap space and the loss on the Beaulieu deal worth the difference between a third and a fourth round pick which was the cost of taking Hunwick's cap money? In hindsight, that's a big no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad