Confirmed with Link: Sheary and Hunwick for Buf 2019 3rd (conditions to move to a 4th)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That's always a good sign when you come in and say the right things. I am going to put the glass half full spin and say that Sheary is a very Drury lite acquisition and is something we haven't done in years. For all intents and purposes there are not more then 180 forwards better then Sheary. Not at all. And his production is very clearly in the top 62 among his position. So Sheary is a top 6 player. Especially if people want to call RoR a 1C. So when was the last time the Sabres acquired a cup winning (let alone multi cup winner) top 6 forward? Drury right?

At the very least Sheary is going to be a 15-15 player if he is healthy. As pitiful as it sounds that still would have put him 6th and 7th in goals and points among the current Sabres (and that's not counting Kane who was moved) so even if he's a 15-15 guy that is top 6 production on the Sabres. If he can be a consistent 20 goal scorer the next 5 years I'll gladly give him 4 per to score 20-25 goals a season.

Anyone not happy needs to remember that a few days ago our LW1 was f***ing Zemgus Girgensons..you know the guy who has scored 7 goals 3 seasons in a row and hasn't gotten his scoring above drinking age since pre Eichel. Hell, Girgs hasn't cracked 20 points since Eichel got here and was the LW1 before this trade and people want to complain?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's always a good sign when you come in and say the right things. I am going to put the glass half full spin and say that Sheary is a very Drury lite acquisition and is something we haven't done in years. For all intents and purposes there are not more then 180 forwards better then Sheary. Not at all. And his production is very clearly in the top 62 among his position. So Sheary is a top 6 player. Especially if people want to call RoR a 1C. So when was the last time the Sabres acquired a cup winning (let alone multi cup winner) top 6 forward? Drury right?

At the very least Sheary is going to be a 15-15 player if he is healthy. As pitiful as it sounds that still would have put him 6th and 7th in goals and points among the current Sabres (and that's not counting Kane who was moved) so even if he's a 15-15 guy that is top 6 production on the Sabres. If he can be a consistent 20 goal scorer the next 5 years I'll gladly give him 4 per to score 20-25 goals a season.

Anyone not happy needs to remember that a few days ago our LW1 was ****ing Zemgus Girgensons..you know the guy who has scored 7 goals 3 seasons in a row and hasn't gotten his scoring above drinking age since pre Eichel. Hell, Girgs hasn't cracked 20 points since Eichel got here and was the LW1 before this trade and people want to complain?

If a 15-15 guy is top 6 for the Sabres next season, then we will be sitting near the bottom of the league again and hoping for some more lottery luck to land Jack Hughes.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If a 15-15 guy is top 6 for the Sabres next season, then we will be sitting near the bottom of the league again and hoping for some more lottery luck to land Jack Hughes.
FWIW, the Washington Capitals last season only had 4 forwards with 40 or more points. Lars Eller (18-20), Tom Wilson (14-21), Brett Connolly (15-12), and Jakub Vrana (13-14) would be their next four. What they have that the Sabres haven't had in centuries is legitimate depth scoring: six forwards with between 20 and 40 points.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Since I do not know what is available or the price I cannot say. What I can say is we have 5.2 million dollars less in cap and real dollars each year for 2 years as a result of this deal and that means $5.2M not readily available to sign a a more expensive player we might want. And I hope that the Sabres are not done and did not suggest they were. Where that came from is a mystery.

I'm not too worried. Would have preferred not to take on Hunwick, or to take on someone less bad, but maybe that offer wasn't available to BUF. Buyouts can still happen, although I'm not holding my breath. FYI Hunwick's actual salary in his final year of his contract is less than this coming season (but both are overpayments relative to his talent).

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'm not too worried. Would have preferred not to take on Hunwick, or to take on someone less bad, but maybe that offer wasn't available to BUF. Buyouts can still happen, although I'm not holding my breath. FYI Hunwick's actual salary in his final year of his contract is less than this coming season (but both are overpayments relative to his talent).
You play the hand you are dealt. I do not find fault with Botts if Sheary was the best he could get and that deal was the best he could do. I just want any deal to fit into a plan that includes much more than multiple minor incremental upgrades at the cost of major reworking that needs to be done. The later draft picks are not an issue. But without a plan the lost cap space could be. Just saying--not trying to be litigious!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You play the hand you are dealt. I do not find fault with Botts if Sheary was the best he could get and that deal was the best he could do. I just want any deal to fit into a plan that includes much more than multiple minor incremental upgrades at the cost of major reworking that needs to be done. The later draft picks are not an issue. But without a plan the lost cap space could be. Just saying--not trying to be litigious!
We're agreeing. And I'll always leave anything litigious to your infinitely vaster experience, pun intended.

Deleted member 27798

I've read some comments from Pens fans that before his concussion last season, Hunwick's play was better versus his play after returning from the injury. Maybe he will return to a form at least on par with a 5-6-7 defenseman come October.

Reactions: haseoke39

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've read some comments from Pens fans that before his concussion last season, Hunwick's play was better versus his play after returning from the injury. Maybe he will return to a form at least on par with a 5-6-7 defenseman come October.
He only has to do one thing and that's play better than Beaulieau to keep that idiot sidelined in the press box.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Anyone point out yet that over the last two seasons Sheary is 16th among all LWs in the entire NHL in goals scored tied with Nick Foligno and Vanek?! Again, Conor Sheary is a legit top 6 forward. Here is how Sheary stacks up to all the other LWers in the league since he broke out. (LW is a barren position. There are not many 20 goal LWers.)

Conor Sheary since 2016 - 140 GP, 41g,42a,83P

Among his position from 16-17+17-18 according to hockey reference

Games played: 42nd

Goals scored : T-16 in goals (with Nick Foligno and Vanek, though he wins due to far less games played)

GPG : 14th
PPG: 22nd

So any way you cut it, not only is Sheary a clear cut top 6 forward, if we are going by the there aren't 31 centers better then RoR so he's a 1C we can even go as far as saying that offensively and with far more ice time Sheary is easily a LW1. But I won't do that because I realize scoring is just one aspect of the game and Sheary lacks in the D zone. But I am not going to just list every 25 point two way LW better then Sheary because that's the dead puck era way of thinking. If anyone wants to name 31 LWers better, I think that is possible. I mean numbers wise, offensively he's a clear cut LW1 especially when you look at how little ice time he got. Yes he loses Crosby but Eichel is supposed to be a future superstar so the drop off should not be like going from Eichel to Larsson. But there is no way in hell you are going to name me 62 LWers better then Sheary.

At the end of the day, Sheary is a clear cut LW2. I am actually eager to see Sheary get 17-17 and a half mins a game playing with Jack. Oh, and my last thought. Everyone wants to point at Sam Reinhart miraculous ppg type run in the last second half of the season. Conor Sheary put up 52 in 63 games just the season prior as a 24 year old. Only a year older then Reinhart will be in 19-20. The lack of excitement extending due to the GM who made the move is just depressing.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
If Hunwick for some reasons is on the opening roster I am going to cry.
"This moment is presented to you by Peluga Paycheck Addition"

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
FWIW, the Washington Capitals last season only had 4 forwards with 40 or more points. Lars Eller (18-20), Tom Wilson (14-21), Brett Connolly (15-12), and Jakub Vrana (13-14) would be their next four. What they have that the Sabres haven't had in centuries is legitimate depth scoring: six forwards with between 20 and 40 points.

Oh...and goaltending

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Meh...Carlson and orlov vs risto and scandella isn't a huge difference. Goaltending and high end talent is. Just think they get Oshie for the price we pay okposo. They get back Strom we get ror....
what.

what??

Have you seen Carlson play?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Anyone not happy needs to remember that a few days ago our LW1 was ****ing Zemgus Girgensons..you know the guy who has scored 7 goals 3 seasons in a row and hasn't gotten his scoring above drinking age since pre Eichel. Hell, Girgs hasn't cracked 20 points since Eichel got here and was the LW1 before this trade and people want to complain?

You think that in 2 years... a consistent 20-25 goal scorer is only going to get 4 million per as a 28 yr old free agent????

Lol

Reactions: ZZamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->