Sheahan off to a slow start

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Pretty crazy how often he does fly-bys while forechecking. Like dude you're 220 lbs, throw some weight atound.

This franchise doesn't stress forechecking that much. Bertuzzi never hit when he was here. Franzen is big and never hit. Tootoo hit but got buried harder than any of John Cena's opponents.

Sheahan is yet another big forward who isn't prone to hitting. Not sure if that's his fault or the philosophy of the team. Maybe they're afraid of injuries. Who knows.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sheahan is a testament to how big, North American guys get a free pass. If he were smaller or European, y'all would be complaining night and day about him. The guy is what? Our biggest forward? And he's got a whopping 22 hits in 30 games. Good for 14th on the team. (Don't bother telling me that they don't count those stats accurately - if they're miscalculated for Sheahan, then they're miscalculated for everyone else too.) But its not just the hits. He doesn't even physically engage half the time. He'll "fight back" if someone else puts the body on him along the boards, but he's content to get scrummy before he gets physical. Not overly impressed by his defensive awareness either. Its above-average, but nothing to write home about. Especially if he's not going to put up a ton of points.

I'm starting to feel the way about him that I felt about Filppula. Plenty of talent and physical attributes, but its like he's stuck in his head. Flashes of brilliance and great games are followed by timidity and lack of focus.

Kinda like Kindl, I didn't realize how big Sheahan was until I saw his stats because while I wouldn't call him soft, he certainly doesn't play big.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
This franchise doesn't stress forechecking that much. Bertuzzi never hit when he was here. Franzen is big and never hit. Tootoo hit but got buried harder than any of John Cena's opponents.

Sheahan is yet another big forward who isn't prone to hitting. Not sure if that's his fault or the philosophy of the team. Maybe they're afraid of injuries. Who knows.

Bertuzzi was here post incident and Franzen just wasn't a physical player. My guess with Tootoo is the way he usually made big hits was by running around taking himself way out of position, which got him buried.

In general I think the Wings probably stress defensive responsibility over hitting. It's hard these days to line someone up and still get back in the play if the puck goes the other direction and some guys are unwilling or not good enough to take that risk.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Bertuzzi was here post incident and Franzen just wasn't a physical player. My guess with Tootoo is the way he usually made big hits was by running around taking himself way out of position, which got him buried.

In general I think the Wings probably stress defensive responsibility over hitting. It's hard these days to line someone up and still get back in the play if the puck goes the other direction and some guys are unwilling or not good enough to take that risk.

Exactly this. Its no coincidence the guys who usually lead us in hits (Abdelkader and Helm) can both skate and have the speed to get in on the forecheck to make the hit. Franzen and Bertuzzi not so much. And Tootoo running way out of position to make a hit was a problem with him back to his Nashville days.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

There's nothing wrong with taking yourself out of position if you take the other guy out of position. That's why good hitters finish their checks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Exactly this. Its no coincidence the guys who usually lead us in hits (Abdelkader and Helm) can both skate and have the speed to get in on the forecheck to make the hit. Franzen and Bertuzzi not so much. And Tootoo running way out of position to make a hit was a problem with him back to his Nashville days.

Sheahan skates quite well himself.

There's nothing wrong with taking yourself out of position if you take the other guy out of position. That's why good hitters finish their checks.

Exactly. But we never do it. Miss the old Helm that did.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I looked into some numbers and last season Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar, Franzen and Nyquist all had more hits than Sheahan. Desipite his size, Riley has never been a physical player and this dates back to his college days.

That said, as a whole, I still like his game. Its frustrating that fans boil everything down to numbers. "he doesn't hit enough" or " he isnt producing enough".

Didn't we just go through this in the Abdelkader thread? There are ways to contribute that don't appear on the box score. He does a lot of little things that go unnoticed on these boards. We all know he is pretty good along the boards. However, his size and defensive accumen open up a lot of opportunities for the new euro twins.

Blashill, "He allows those guys to be creative offensively because they know they have him above," Blashill said. "He is an extremely good defensive player. He is also the net-front presence. He has done a a pretty good job on face-offs. And he has got an ability to make plays in smart areas. So they have really all three been able to be a real good o-zone line."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/12/08/detroit-red-wings-lines/77011072/

Would more physicallity and production be nice? Of course. But its not the be all and end all when evaluating guys like Sheahan or Abdelkader.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I agree. Good hitter is the key, because if he avoids the hit or you don't have a guy lined up properly that's when you end up behind the play. Maybe Sheahan isn't that confident of a hitter.

I think a lot of guys on this team could give that extra effort to knock guys into the boards given the chance, even if it's not a big hit.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
I looked into some numbers and last season Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar, Franzen and Nyquist all had more hits than Sheahan. Desipite his size, Riley has never been a physical player and this dates back to his college days.

That said, as a whole, I still like his game. Its frustrating that fans boil everything down to numbers. "he doesn't hit enough" or " he isnt producing enough".

Didn't we just go through this in the Abdelkader thread? There are ways to contribute that don't appear on the box score. He does a lot of little things that go unnoticed on these boards. We all know he is pretty good along the boards. However, his size and defensive accumen open up a lot of opportunities for the new euro twins.

Blashill, "He allows those guys to be creative offensively because they know they have him above," Blashill said. "He is an extremely good defensive player. He is also the net-front presence. He has done a a pretty good job on face-offs. And he has got an ability to make plays in smart areas. So they have really all three been able to be a real good o-zone line."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/12/08/detroit-red-wings-lines/77011072/

Would more physicallity and production be nice? Of course. But its not the be all and end all when evaluating guys like Sheahan or Abdelkader.

Yep I love what he brings to the table down the middle. Wish he would hit more but its simply not his game. Even when he is not producing, he has a valuable impact on the game. One of our better players on the cycle and along the boards, very solid defensively.

There is still definitely some untapped offensive potential but I don't think he is ever going to be anything spectacular production-wise. If he can produce ~40 points per year that is great for the role he is expected to play on this team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

More production would be nice? No. His production is downright abysmal and a regression from what it has been. He needs to start producing more ASAP.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There is still definitely some untapped offensive potential but I don't think he is ever going to be anything spectacular production-wise. If he can produce ~40 points per year that is great for the role he is expected to play on this team.

If he was on pace for forty points, I'm not sure anyone is really complaining right now.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
When we got Blashill a lot of people were excited for how it could've helped Jurco, Smith, Kindl, Pulkkinen, etc., but I think it might have been something that stunted Sheahan a bit. He was a guy who pretty much instantly looked better in the NHL than AHL and while he hasn't really grown into the 2C we were hoping for he might just be a guy who was a better Babcock than Blashill fit.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He passes the eye test for me, and if I didn’t look at the stat sheet would guess he would be on pace for 45ish points. Although I wish he would shoot it more, he had some nice snipes last year

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
When we got Blashill a lot of people were excited for how it could've helped Jurco, Smith, Kindl, Pulkkinen, etc., but I think it might have been something that stunted Sheahan a bit. He was a guy who pretty much instantly looked better in the NHL than AHL and while he hasn't really grown into the 2C we were hoping for he might just be a guy who was a better Babcock than Blashill fit.

I honestly forgot we had Pulu. He did back Smith and Kindl better. Not by much, but he did it.

Sheahan is still technically in his 2nd year. But hes been a disappointment so far. Hopefully he goes on a hot streak and reaches around 30/35/40 points or so

Oct 18, 2006
I thought he had untapped offensive potential but not seeing much right now. He really doesn't generate much offense at all. He's an above average 3C I think.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I honestly forgot we had Pulu. He did back Smith and Kindl better. Not by much, but he did it.

Sheahan is still technically in his 2nd year. But hes been a disappointment so far. Hopefully he goes on a hot streak and reaches around 30/35/40 points or so

How?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Was messing around with our lines yesterday and I was thinking how I'd really like Pulkkinen to come back soon.

I think we need to roll with what we have until then, after Helm to line 4 Pulu replaces helm is imo the only viable option. I don't see much variation to 8-40-71 and 14-15-21 by Blash. Until then, we're kinda light. People can keep calling for AA but I don't think it's going to make that big of an impact at this time.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I thought he had untapped offensive potential but not seeing much right now. He really doesn't generate much offense at all. He's an above average 3C I think.

Like Abdelkader Sheahan is not a center. As soon as the Wings figure that out and make him a winger on a scoring line the offense will develop. He's got so much more offensive skill than Abdeklader it's maddening to see the Wings sign Abby to that ridiculous contract. It's Howard-Mrazek all over again. :shakehead

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Riley has been the biggest disappointment on this team bar none. He's regressed terribly. If he keeps this up he'll be lucky to hit 15 points this year. He's good, but not great defensively. He's below 50% on the dot. Doesn't fight. Doesn't hit. Gets to play with top 6 wingers, and still produces nothing. Gets PP time, doesn't produce. Seriously, what value is he providing to this team right now? Remember when people thought he had a second line ceiling? That sure seems like a long shot now.

Actual Thought*

Is there a single player that has truly benefited from the coaching change? I remember s many people saying Smith, Kindl, Jurco ect were being stifled by Babcock. I think we can put that notion to bed at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is there a single player that has truly benefited from the coaching change? I remember s many people saying Smith, Kindl, Jurco ect were being stifled by Babcock. I think we can put that notion to bed at this point.

I think Larkin most. But he wasn't Babcock influenced.

Very good question... kind of, nothing has changed. Mediocre/Bad players are... mediocre/bad players.

Maybe Kindl has been a little bit better offensively and has some confidence again. Still sucks defensively. Smith has been probably worse.

Only big difference so far has been taking Kronwall out from shut-down pair and putting DeKeyser there. And bringin Larkin in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad