Sheahan off to a slow start

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Blaim Jim Nill if you want to blame drafting.

And drafting Russians was a bad idea on that time. Economy has changed in a huge way since that. Sheahan was the "safe" pick. Kuznetsov would have been nice but big gamble, which turned in a good way for the Capitals.

So when a pick doesn't work out, it's that specific scouts fault... but then when it does work, it's all Holland?

Well, isn't that just convenient.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Blaim Jim Nill if you want to blame drafting.

And drafting Russians was a bad idea on that time. Economy has changed in a huge way since that. Sheahan was the "safe" pick. Kuznetsov would have been nice but big gamble, which turned in a good way for the Capitals.

"The Russian Factor" was always stupid and overblown.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I thought Sheahan looked decent yesterday. By all intents and purposes this might actually be considered his sophomore year since last season was his first real full season in the NHL.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
So when a pick doesn't work out, it's that specific scouts fault... but then when it does work, it's all Holland?

I think once the rounds hit 3/4 it goes to the scouts.

1st/2nd and sometimes 3rd is mostly Holland/Assistant GM.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I thought Sheahan looked decent yesterday. By all intents and purposes this might actually be considered his sophomore year since last season was his first real full season in the NHL.

Yep. It's kind of weird. It could be considered his sophmore season, but not really.

Especially with a new coach.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
1 goal and 2 secondary assists sure isn't gonna cut it that's for sure. He's averaging over 15 minutes a night also. He hasn't been noticeable defensively at ES so I guess that's a good thing. He's been solid on the PK.

It's early but he definitely needs to improve. He was supposed to be a solid secondary scorer and chip in somewhere between 30-40 points. This team could really use a solid #3C right now and especially when Datsyuk comes back.

I really wish he would play more physical too. I don't expect him to fight or anything but if he's not gonna be scoring or contributing offensively he could at least finish some checks and throw the body around.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
1 goal and 2 secondary assists sure isn't gonna cut it that's for sure. He's averaging over 15 minutes a night also. He hasn't been noticeable defensively at ES so I guess that's a good thing. He's been solid on the PK.

It's early but he definitely needs to improve. He was supposed to be a solid secondary scorer and chip in somewhere between 30-40 points. This team could really use a solid #3C right now and especially when Datsyuk comes back.

I really wish he would play more physical too. I don't expect him to fight or anything but if he's not gonna be scoring or contributing offensively he could at least finish some checks and throw the body around.

He needs to do more shooting too, he's got such a good shot. Every time he wrips a wrister into the top corner or lets go a blistering one timer I'm thinking "why doesn't he do this more?"

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He needs to do more shooting too, he's got such a good shot. Every time he wrips a wrister into the top corner or lets go a blistering one timer I'm thinking "why doesn't he do this more?"

Same in here. I'm still believeing he will find his "inner Franzen" some day. Starts shooting with high volumes and scores suddenly 30 goals. He already is building that net-front ability and I could see him as Abdelkader replacement if cap reasons force Abby to leave. Now he is just another Filppula, won't shoot and tries to be overdefensive that kills all offense.

Put Sheahan on the wing (after Pavel and Richards are back) and you see a lot of goals from him.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Seems like that's the way it works with Holland. Great picks are the result of Nill, Andersson and the rest of the scouts and bad picks are all on Holland.

In reality I think the entire scouting staff and management team have a hand in who the team selects. They all share the blame for the bad and the credit for the good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like that's the way it works with Holland. Great picks are the result of Nill, Andersson and the rest of the scouts and bad picks are all on Holland.

In reality I think the entire scouting staff and management team have a hand in who the team selects. They all share the blame for the bad and the credit for the good.

Yeah was trying to speak to this, though at the end of the day Holland has to pull the trigger on the pick, and he also is the one picking and employing the scouts under him.

Most picks are a collaboration among many of these guys. Only exception is I believe I read somewhere that Holland has so much trust in Hakan at this point that he would draft his recommendation either unseen or with very limited viewing with later round picks. I mean, which is pretty understandable. Then sometimes we hear through the media that a scout really endorsed someone and stuck their neck out like Draper with the Bertuzzi pick.
But other than those cases I think there is a ton of collaboration going on and it's hard to know who really influenced guys being drafted.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

This is something I've been saying since his rookie year. Everybody is always talking about his size and strength and yet he shies away from any contact whatsoever.

I think he did throw a few hits in the playoffs last year, but it must have been by accident.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is something I've been saying since his rookie year. Everybody is always talking about his size and strength and yet he shies away from any contact whatsoever.

I think he did throw a few hits in the playoffs last year, but it must have been by accident.

Pretty crazy how often he does fly-bys while forechecking. Like dude you're 220 lbs, throw some weight atound.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

He does do a pretty great job at protecting the puck along the boards (haven't seen too much of it this season however). But he should definitely play with more of an edge. He seems like one of those players that will never reach his full potential because he doesn't have that 'fire', that intense desire to win that most great players have. But you never know, one day that switch could flip in his head almost like it did for Franzen when he started scoring like crazy.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Pretty much Hakan gets all those late rounds to himself so he can be called the greatest scout in the nhl even longer.

That literally doesn't happen ever, and we've taken plenty of non Swedes/Scandinavians in the late rounds of the draft. We have A LOT of scouts, and people like Tyler Wright have a larger role in our scouting than Holland does, though obviously Holland has a big role as well.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think Sheahan could be a great 2C if he could put it all together and give a consistent effort. Perhaps he just doesn't have the kind of drive that players like Larkin and Zetterberg do...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
On pace for 16 pts, 8 goals, -7 so far while playing mostly with Tats and Nyq who both have more than triple his points.

Disappointing to say the least
He's one of our most snakebit players. Shooting at only 6.5% and with an on-ice SH% of 5.0 (lowest of all our regular forwards).

I have really liked his play lately, but he's not getting rewarded for anything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Inconsistent defensively, for me. Some games he is lights out, and some games he looks lost in our end.

Like the package, have always liked Sheahan, would like to see some offense and consistency from him.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Sheahan is a testament to how big, North American guys get a free pass. If he were smaller or European, y'all would be complaining night and day about him. The guy is what? Our biggest forward? And he's got a whopping 22 hits in 30 games. Good for 14th on the team. (Don't bother telling me that they don't count those stats accurately - if they're miscalculated for Sheahan, then they're miscalculated for everyone else too.) But its not just the hits. He doesn't even physically engage half the time. He'll "fight back" if someone else puts the body on him along the boards, but he's content to get scrummy before he gets physical. Not overly impressed by his defensive awareness either. Its above-average, but nothing to write home about. Especially if he's not going to put up a ton of points.

I'm starting to feel the way about him that I felt about Filppula. Plenty of talent and physical attributes, but its like he's stuck in his head. Flashes of brilliance and great games are followed by timidity and lack of focus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad