Shea Weber

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Hey Seth...from just your "gut feeling", do you think #6 is on the ice wearing the new white PREDS jersey when the puck is dropped 2 months from tonight in columbus. Even more of a reach, do you we still have the same Captain when the season comes to a close?

Absolutely, Shea is a legitimate franchise player and fierce competitor. I have no doubt that Weber's leadership will be in any way diminished and that he will give it everything he has on every shift to lead the Nashville Predators to victory. Poile would have to be absolutely blown away by an offer to trade Shea and he's certainly not solicting any offers for him right now or will he be during the season.

Shea Weber is the captain of the Nashville Predators.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Absolutely, Shea is a legitimate franchise player and fierce competitor. I have no doubt that Weber's leadership will be in any way diminished and that he will give it everything he has on every shift to lead the Nashville Predators to victory. Poile would have to be absolutely blown away by an offer to trade Shea and he's certainly not solicting any offers for him right now or will he be during the season.

Shea Weber is the captain of the Nashville Predators.

I agree 100% now that Weber has gotten his money for one year he now in his mind and the Preds or the rest of the league does he deserve that kind of money. I think now that we(Preds) have gotten the monkey of not winning a playoff series off our backs and under the guidance of the leadership of our captain Shea Weber. I think we might lead the league this year in shutouts. The big 3 will be pushing for offensive help all season and if they get it the sky's the limit

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
As a fan, if Poile loses 2 of the 3.............fire him. and I'm usually one of his "supporters."

this whole situation has been mismanaged and has been uprooted and tilted and has given way too much power to weber suter and rinne.
this is where poile has made major miscalculations in management/behavior/contracts/personalities/marketplace,etc... and lost his job, imo.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
As a fan, if Poile loses 2 of the 3.............fire him. and I'm usually one of his "supporters."

this whole situation has been mismanaged and has been uprooted and tilted and has given way too much power to weber suter and rinne.
this is where poile has made major miscalculations in management/behavior/contracts/personalities/marketplace,etc... and lost his job, imo.

I want to stress that I throw that question out there having no knowledge or insight as to its likelihood- I just think it's a legitimate question.

That said, if Weber wants to see commitment in a form beyond salary, what would happen if Suter and Rinne react similarly. The fact that Weber mentioned the need to talk with Suter and Rinne nags that thought further along in my (admittedly demented) brain.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If Shea rounds up the troops and they're all in Nashville skating before training camp again, that will ease my mind somewhat. That was a real show of leadership from Shea and ownership from the other players. We had a special team last year--watching that game on NHLN last night reminded me of that. I hope it wasn't a fluke and can not only be repeated but made better.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
If Shea rounds up the troops and they're all in Nashville skating before training camp again, that will ease my mind somewhat. That was a real show of leadership from Shea and ownership from the other players. We had a special team last year--watching that game on NHLN last night reminded me of that. I hope it wasn't a fluke and can not only be repeated but made better.

That was VERY impressive having nearly 80% of the entire camp roster on the ice for captain's workouts in the week leading up to the start of training camp.

I do think however that that was mainly organized by Sullivan and Dumont though because they were in town for their kids to start school, etc and it grew from there. Will be interesting to see if we hear about similar workouts in the next few weeks as guys start to get back - (although the majority of our team is too young to have school aged children right now...)

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
That was VERY impressive having nearly 80% of the entire camp roster on the ice for captain's workouts in the week leading up to the start of training camp.

I do think however that that was mainly organized by Sullivan and Dumont though because they were in town for their kids to start school, etc and it grew from there. Will be interesting to see if we hear about similar workouts in the next few weeks as guys start to get back - (although the majority of our team is too young to have school aged children right now...)

you hope......

apparantly you forgot the best quote in mystery alaska

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I want to stress that I throw that question out there having no knowledge or insight as to its likelihood- I just think it's a legitimate question.

That said, if Weber wants to see commitment in a form beyond salary, what would happen if Suter and Rinne react similarly. The fact that Weber mentioned the need to talk with Suter and Rinne nags that thought further along in my (admittedly demented) brain.

I have been thinking the same thing..........and I have no knowledge or insight or contacts with the players. It just makes sense. And my very demented brain has been nagging me after that very same quote from Weber.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007

As always, you are much more the optimist than I am. I will see the above scenario ^^^ as simply a fluke of timing...:shakehead

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
http://pullmyfangfinger.ajinnashville.com/2011/08/17/for-pete’s-take/

"Peterson said that he had personally spoken to Shea after the arbitrator’s announcement to ask what was really going on. He quoted Weber’s response as, I want to stay in Nashville, but I want to win; I want to win a Cup and I want the team to get better; I just need to see how things go."

Well its what i expected the whole time.

This falls on Poile, has he really improved the team ? ... Mike Fisher ? ... we have many Fisher clones on this team already ... re-signing a deteriorating Sullivan, and not going after anyone this offseason, the Lombardi situation, it's starting to build up against Poile again

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
This falls on Poile, has he really improved the team ? ... Mike Fisher ? ... we have many Fisher clones on this team already ... re-signing a deteriorating Sullivan, and not going after anyone this offseason, the Lombardi situation, it's starting to build up against Poile again

It sure is. I just have a feeling if he gets any forward(s), it will be another Mike Fisher or 50 pt guy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This falls on Poile

I say it falls on Weber, because his standards are too high.

No, wait, I say it falls on Peterson, because he made Shea come up with an answer.

No, no, wait, wait, I've got it. It's the arbitrator's fault for arbitrating. If there was never any arbitrator to arbitrate, the arbitration would never have happened!

Seriously, WTF is with this "OMFG MUST BLAME SOMEBODY" thing?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Let's fire Poile and bring in Sather, Lowe, Burke, Snow, or the guy who seems to most want the job ... Shea.

There are a few aspects of the team that need improvement like the 5on4 scoring; some that it would be nice if they got a boost but overall aren't bad like the 5on5 scoring and PK; and things that it would be great if we could simply sustain like a 99 point season with significant injuries starting in game two, disciplined play resulting in the team ranking as one of the best at staying out of the box, and a dominant back end with a top 3 goalie and one of the top defensive pairings in the league.

I read an article earlier today that mentioned that only four teams have won 40 or more games every season since the lockout ... the Preds being one. This is a team that made the post season in six of the past seven seasons. Tweaks are needed, not an overhaul.

If being a GM were easy any of us could do it. For the most part, message board members tend to make their draft decisions somewhere about five years after the pics are made when hindsight makes it easy. We complain that we didn't make a trade that another team did ... or that we didn't sign free agent X ... usually without much consideration for the details. We don't have to worry about the budget, or how to structure a contract so it fits, but we're quick to admonish GMs for not doing what we see as so simple from our little vacuum.

If Shea truly wanted a short term contract for big money, he became a hindrance to the very end state he's claiming to want.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
...like a 99 point season with significant injuries starting in game two...

Actually, Rinne got hurt in game 1, didn't he? I think a Ducks player and Preds defenseman (Boullion?) went right over him and Lindback had to come in for him. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Anyway, about the Weber situation - he's still an RFA after this year. If he just wanted out he could have requested a two-year arbitration award to get to UFA status. He didn't.

I'm hoping that this season sees the following things happen:

1. An offensive upgrade. Maybe this happens by Poile bringing in some help at the trade deadline or before camp. Maybe it happens because O'Reilly stays healthy, Wilson takes a solid step forward and Bergfors shows the offensive talent he's rumored to possess. Maybe it happens because Geoffrion or Halischuk steps up and impresses. Or maybe it just comes from finding a better power-play scheme to work with the players on the team. I don't know which of these things is going to happen, but at least one of them needs to.

2. The rookies impress on the blue line. I feel pretty confident about Blum at this point. I admit to being worried about his size when he was called up last year. After watching him play I'm not worried anymore. Now it's time for two more of the plethora of young, talented defensemen in the system to step up and show what they can do. I don't know which two it will be, but it's going to be an interesting camp and preseason to watch that shake out.

3. Weber, Suter and Rinne prove that they aren't just the Big 3 in Nashville, but the Big 3 in the NHL by putting up dominating defensive numbers. They showed that they can do it this season. Now they just have to prove to the rest of the league what the rest of us already know - it isn't a fluke or a flash in the pan. They really are that good.

4. The Big 3 sign long-term contract extensions. Please, guys? You know you want to...

5. The Preds contend for and hopefully win the division championship. If they take even a small step forward in offense while keeping their defense tight this is very possible. They didn't miss it by too much last year. I think they have a good shot at it.

Of course, there are also some things I'd like to see happen AFTER the season, like 16 more wins. But I digress...

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
I dont want Poile fired. He is one of the best GM's in the league at maintain a competitive team. He just has never gotten his teams over the last hump.

His whole GM career he has been passive and cautious. The window has been open for us and he has not pulled the trigger. The window wont be open for as long as he probably would like.

Weber like me wants proof that Poile will get the job done and get a scorer and wants to see the commitment. Nothing wrong with that.

goalscorer

Sep 6, 2009
Paducah, Ky
Seriously, WTF is with this "OMFG MUST BLAME SOMEBODY" thing?

When someone does something wrong they're going to recieve blame. If you we're potentially going to lose Rick Nash, I think you'd be out for someone's head too.

Poile has always bragged about how talented our scouts are and how good our development system is, yet we have yet to develop and retain a star forward. We continually draft, trade and sign the same mold of player and never really seem to make any real splash when it comes to addressing our offensive needs.

Our system has drafted and developed arguably two of the league's best defensmen and we finally have a young, talented captain to lead our team to the next level and we could lose it all because... "I want to stay in Nashville, but I want to win; I want to win a Cup and I want the team to get better; I just need to see how things go."

What things could he possibly be waiting for? How about some scoring help, a better powerplay, a GM who isn't going to stick with only bringing in projects or veterans past their prime. Again I feel like if Poile had addressed the one need the fan base and Shea Weber felt needed to be addressed we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Our franchise overcomes the Leopold fiasco and finally reaches the second round of the playoffs yet, in less than a year we could be back into complete rebuild mode and be playing golf in the offseason with your Blue jackets. ;)

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Let's fire Poile and bring in Sather, Lowe, Burke, Snow, or the guy who seems to most want the job ... Shea.

There are a few aspects of the team that need improvement like the 5on4 scoring; some that it would be nice if they got a boost but overall aren't bad like the 5on5 scoring and PK; and things that it would be great if we could simply sustain like a 99 point season with significant injuries starting in game two, disciplined play resulting in the team ranking as one of the best at staying out of the box, and a dominant back end with a top 3 goalie and one of the top defensive pairings in the league.

I read an article earlier today that mentioned that only four teams have won 40 or more games every season since the lockout ... the Preds being one. This is a team that made the post season in six of the past seven seasons. Tweaks are needed, not an overhaul.

If being a GM were easy any of us could do it. For the most part, message board members tend to make their draft decisions somewhere about five years after the pics are made when hindsight makes it easy. We complain that we didn't make a trade that another team did ... or that we didn't sign free agent X ... usually without much consideration for the details. We don't have to worry about the budget, or how to structure a contract so it fits, but we're quick to admonish GMs for not doing what we see as so simple from our little vacuum.

If Shea truly wanted a short term contract for big money, he became a hindrance to the very end state he's claiming to want.

Let's let Shea, Ryan & Pekka walk and bring in Lindback, Blum & Ellis or the guy who seems to most want the job ... Mr. Cigarran... See I can do it too

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Maybe he should of taken the Carter deal. An opportunity like that does not happen often. And he was approached by the Flyers. He probably would of had to give up Wilson or Ellis which he probably didnt want to do.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
A lot of speculation happened after the definite "he was approached by the Flyers". While I think he was probably in on the Carter deal, too, I've gone over this before. We couldn't match what Columbus was offering without giving up too much from a position of weakness. Their first was much higher than ours, and gave them a very real chance at getting the guy they wanted and eventually got. Hell, we didn't even have a first. Vorachek is already better than Wilson at this level, and Ellis isn't even proven in the AHL. Besides, Philly isn't in need of defensive prospects so Ellis, Josi, Blum, and Ekholm might have gotten it done, but there is no indication of that being the case.

All we can do is speculate on why we weren't the eventual destination of either M. Richards or Carter, but when you look at the return we would have had to match (or likely have to top considering the deals they took are the deals they wanted) it's pretty hard for us to match without hurting a forward corps we are trying to improve. I'm not opposed to trading Wilson, but I am opposed to trading something like Hornqvist/Erat, Wilson, and a pick or top prospect just to make up for the lack of value in comparison to Columbus' trade package.

goalscorer

Sep 6, 2009
Paducah, Ky
Radulov. I don't blame Poile for Radulov leaving.

You cut out an important word in my statement, which was develop and retain a star forward. I don't blame Poile for Rads leaving either, but the one potential star we drafted and started the process of developing left. Was Rads motivation to leave purely for money? Who knows or even cares at this point, but there could have been other variables for why he left and DP may have been one of them. Either way I don't blame DP for Radulov leaving, but I don't give him the credit for drafting a "star" either.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
You cut out an important word in my statement, which was develop and retain a star forward. I don't blame Poile for Rads leaving either, but the one potential star we drafted and started the process of developing left. Was Rads motivation to leave purely for money? Who knows or even cares at this point, but there could have been other variables for why he left and DP may have been one of them. Either way I don't blame DP for Radulov leaving, but I don't give him the credit for drafting a "star" either.

Radulov doesn't belong in this discussion except as a joke......and that is what lstcyr was trying to say.

well, actually , that's how I took it.....I assume that is what he was trying to say, lol..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad