Shea Weber

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think I would approach Suter first.

Rinne is a great goalie, but you have to wonder how much of his play is a product of Weber and Suter. Pretty much every goalie since the lockout has looked good behind that defense (Vokoun, Mason, Ellis, now Rinne and probably Lindback next).

Lindback is a year or two away from being ready to replace Rinne and play up to Rinne's level from last season. Rinne is an elite talent and a leader on the ice and in the locker room.

I'd go after Rinne first, then approach Weber and Suter with that piece being in place to see if they don't want to make it a package deal contingent on a piece being brought in up front...

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
I'd go after Rinne first, then approach Weber and Suter with that piece being in place to see if they don't want to make it a package deal contingent on a piece being brought in up front...

Speaking of this, does anyone know of what the ufa/rfa market will look like next off-season?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Speaking of this, does anyone know of what the ufa/rfa market will look like next off-season?
Oh, it'll be amazing! I hear that superstars like Zach Parise and Ryan Suter are guaranteed to be on the market!
;)

I'd argue it's impossible to know this early.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm so sick of these vultures popping up all over the interwebz offering bounty for Weber and I'm sick of being looked down upon. We're not your personal ****ing feeding ground. **** off and go bother Phoenix about Doan or something :rant:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hard to tell this early who will be available. A large number of them will re-sign. We'll get a better idea of who's available in offseason around the allstar break.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
I'm so sick of these vultures popping up all over the interwebz offering bounty for Weber and I'm sick of being looked down upon. We're not your personal ****ing feeding ground. **** off and go bother Phoenix about Doan or something :rant:

After I thought we had finally gained a little respect from others around the league, it's been pretty damn frustrating seeing all these ridiculous proposals.

They all seem to operate under the premise that a) Shea Weber does not want any part of playing in Nashville, so we should trade him ASAP for full value (or my favorite...trade him at the deadline and sink our playoff hopes) and b) obviously the deal couldn't get done because 'Nashville's owner [sic] is too cheap to keep him around'...

So all of these silly proposals involve 3rd and 4th liners with a much lower talent ceiling than Weber (and wouldn't come close to leading this team in scoring) and (some) promising prospects that would be making basement salary for a couple of years (yeah, prospects are great, but the main point is all of their value is in their potential impact, not their real, measurable impact, which Weber has).

I will say that there have been a few curious offers that involve slight overpayment to the Preds, but would ultimately hurt both teams (for not giving them a full amount of what they NEED).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I really think the issue with all three will be the ownership's willingness to front load these contracts. There's enough comparables out there to justify starting at $10 for the first few years and working down to $2-$3 per year. That may be a tough pill to swallow.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site

I am the exact opposite. I'm fascinated by reading the proposals and hearing all the takes. At one point yesterday, Weber/Rinne/Suter were 5 of the first 8 proposal threads on the Trade board. It makes for very interesting reading. I'm often surprised by how knowledgeable some of the other teams fans (generally not one of the teams involved in the trade proposal) are regarding the Predators. You see so many boorish, childish, and uninformed/unevolved opinions on players that I enjoy seeing a strong and well informed perspective.

thomas magnum

Jun 16, 2010
Atlanta
I am the exact opposite. I'm fascinated by reading the proposals and hearing all the takes. At one point yesterday, Weber/Rinne/Suter were 5 of the first 8 proposal threads on the Trade board. It makes for very interesting reading. I'm often surprised by how knowledgeable some of the other teams fans (generally not one of the teams involved in the trade proposal) are regarding the Predators. You see so many boorish, childish, and uninformed/unevolved opinions on players that I enjoy seeing a strong and well informed perspective.

Haha..I'm kinda the same way.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I am the exact opposite.

I fall right in the middle. While I do love the art of negotiation, especially with rational posters who aren't too much of a homer, the overused stereotype of "Nashville is a typical cheap southern franchise so you'll be happy with our prospect + 1st" crap does get very tiresome.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
After I thought we had finally gained a little respect from others around the league, it's been pretty damn frustrating seeing all these ridiculous proposals.

They all seem to operate under the premise that a) Shea Weber does not want any part of playing in Nashville, so we should trade him ASAP for full value (or my favorite...trade him at the deadline and sink our playoff hopes) and b) obviously the deal couldn't get done because 'Nashville's owner [sic] is too cheap to keep him around'...

So all of these silly proposals involve 3rd and 4th liners with a much lower talent ceiling than Weber (and wouldn't come close to leading this team in scoring) and (some) promising prospects that would be making basement salary for a couple of years (yeah, prospects are great, but the main point is all of their value is in their potential impact, not their real, measurable impact, which Weber has).

I will say that there have been a few curious offers that involve slight overpayment to the Preds, but would ultimately hurt both teams (for not giving them a full amount of what they NEED).

which is why Poile never should've let it come to that point. If weber wanted a one year deal worth 8 million I would've given it to him simply to avoid this awful procedure and enable me to go out and get a scoring forward knowing I had my most important player locked up for at least one year.

It seems like I was right all along, Weber doesn't want to commit to us because he doesn't see a champion and I can't blame him. Our window of opportunity is the next 2-3 years if we can retain Weber, Suter, and Pekka. We need to make the most of our opportunity and go out there and take the stanley cup, not hope that Spaling is going to be a top six forward. You have top 10 talents on the blue line and the best goaltender in the world. If you squander this opportunity we may as well fold as a franchise. This is our best chance to win a cup and I for one will be livid if Poile botches it in the next two or three years. Looks like Shea agrees with me too.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I fall right in the middle. While I do love the art of negotiation, especially with rational posters who aren't too much of a homer, the overused stereotype of "Nashville is a typical cheap southern franchise so you'll be happy with our prospect + 1st" crap does get very tiresome.

Hey I offered up Andrei Markov who has chemistry with bouls and AK to play with his brother and Jared Tinordi for Weber.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
which is why Poile never should've let it come to that point. If weber wanted a one year deal worth 8 million I would've given it to him simply to avoid this awful procedure and enable me to go out and get a scoring forward knowing I had my most important player locked up for at least one year.

It seems like I was right all along, Weber doesn't want to commit to us because he doesn't see a champion and I can't blame him. Our window of opportunity is the next 2-3 years if we can retain Weber, Suter, and Pekka. We need to make the most of our opportunity and go out there and take the stanley cup, not hope that Spaling is going to be a top six forward. You have top 10 talents on the blue line and the best goaltender in the world. If you squander this opportunity we may as well fold as a franchise. This is our best chance to win a cup and I for one will be livid if Poile botches it in the next two or three years. Looks like Shea agrees with me too.

So would 8.5 be too high for you? 10? Where is that line?

Weber is a RFA who says he wants to stay, then goes for a short term deal. He wants to see so called improvements and commitments while engaging in actions that make it impossible. Poile can't even consider spending like crazy on 1 July (not that it's likely he would) when his #1 signing priority is still unsigned.

There's plenty of blame for all here.

mikedifr

Jul 5, 2004
NJ
I think he'd at the very least be on the hot seat.

Honestly, I don't dread that possible outcome as much as everyone else here... but that's probably because I still have regular torturous daydreams of Ryan Suter in union blue, and that's probably the only (contrived, unlikely, ludicrous) scenario in which it could happen. :)

Why wouldnt Poile sign them if ownership is willing to spend the money? On the other hand if ownership doesnt pony up the money and Poile is forced to trade 1 or more of them as a result, why would he be fired?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

Weber is a RFA who says he wants to stay, then goes for a short term deal. He wants to see so called improvements and commitments while engaging in actions that make it impossible. Poile can't even consider spending like crazy on 1 July (not that it's likely he would) when his #1 signing priority is still unsigned.

where is that shiny billionaire owner that gives a fig for this organization in this town ?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why wouldnt Poile sign them if ownership is willing to spend the money? On the other hand if ownership doesnt pony up the money and Poile is forced to trade 1 or more of them as a result, why would he be fired?
Because I said so, and because I said so.

Or, IOW, I don't know why you're asking me these questions. :)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

I would've offered him a one year, 8 million deal. If shea didn't take that then go to arbitration.

Yes there is plenty of blame but I do feel like some of this could've been avoided by Poile being more proactive in trying to improve the team and giving weber a one year deal in order to prove that we are committed to winning.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
I would've offered him a one year, 8 million deal. If shea didn't take that then go to arbitration.

Yes there is plenty of blame but I do feel like some of this could've been avoided by Poile being more proactive in trying to improve the team and giving weber a one year deal in order to prove that we are committed to winning.

You give him $8 million this season, what does he ask for next season?

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN

I look at what happened w/ Shea as, 'let's just kick the can down the road and see what the next CBA and trade deadline offers to improve the team'. I think by seeing what demeanor all parties involved had that all were on board w/ the process and seemed like adults about the whole thing...

The way that I see it, if they can add a 20-25 goal scorer that excels on the power play at the deadline, the Preds should be a force come playoff time given their recent history. One more focus for the opposition should lead to many more openings for our current skill guys to score and not only that but for them not take such a beating as they tend to get late in the season which is normally our true downfall come playoff time. If we can have healthy bodies come playoff time, I seriously love our chances to break my checkbook for playoff tix late into May. I don't say this w/ kool-aid in my belly but thru the eyes of an ex-Blueser fan that was there when Scott Stevens was signed and lost in StL and Brett Hull was just a fat kid w/ a shot that changed hockey there for the next 20 years.

The Pred's have a top 5 development system and now have the coach that developed a lot of that talent on the bench in Nashville to continue their progress to play at the NHL w/ what they have learned. i liked what I saw from the kids at the end of last season and it seems like there are doors opening for them to excel w/ the departure of Sully, JP, Ward, and SOB.

I'm reasonably optimistic for our chances this season and ready to have the puck drop so we can squelch all of the Chicken Little-isms I've been seeing which is a popular pastime for many who frequented the old np.com boards;)!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->