Shea Weber

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
You also forgot that it is a city and province that has the highest income tax in Canada and is also a french first province. Speaking of media markets our broadcasters up here spend hundrends of millions in their own region alone for hockey because we demand it. Not to mention ticket prices I believe are the highest or near the highest in the league.

I believe it was a rhetorical question. No need to answer. We know Montreal is a hockey hotbed. Unfortuneatly, football is king here, and mostly the entire USA. If the NHL could get a football like tv deal, then money wouldn't be an issue. But that'll never happen in this country.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I believe it was a rhetorical question. No need to answer. We know Montreal is a hockey hotbed. Unfortuneatly, football is king here, and mostly the entire USA. If the NHL could get a football like tv deal, then money wouldn't be an issue. But that'll never happen in this country.

It is unfortunate really because football SUCKS...:yo: As I have always said if you don't play it on ice and it doesn't involve a stick and a puck it isn't worth playing.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Not to sound demeaning but why oh why do your owners rely so heavily on Rev sharing to make money? If they are that worried then maybe it is time to raise ticket prices spend a little more money on salary ice a true contender and see what the fan base thinks then. Rather than cheap tickets low payroll and 10 mil a season from the other teams. Our fans are screaming because mgmt still has 6 mil or so till we are at the cap and we want them to go out and get someone else. We want out owners and management to spend the money alloted by the cap every season. I miss the non cap days.

Sadly our owners need revenue sharing to shore up our finances right now. We don't have rich beer company guys for owners. I hate that we have to budget to get revenue sharing. I would love it if we got to the point of not needing that money. But we haven't yet. Though I would never want to have to pay the ticket prices y'all have to pay for sure. That is just nuts but Habs fans are nuts from what I have seen.

And spending to the cap doesn't always equal success as you well know. Spending for the sake of spending is silly.

Now guys, you know dryden likes stiring the pot, answer his question and move on.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'll tell you all something, and I am being completely sincere here.

I'm pretty happy that dryden offered up a few more fun facts that strengthens my theory that a 100 year old sports franchise with a rich history will be able to spend more than a 13 year old sports franchise still in the middle of trying to make its own history. I honestly wasn't sure that my theory could stand up to scrutiny, but now I'm sure it will. Nothing supported it more than "it's a french first province". :laugh:

Football may suck (it doesn't), but Canadians sure are hell tried to make it worse. Must be a form of mockery. I hear I'm supposed to be flattered ;)

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
Sadly our owners need revenue sharing to shore up our finances right now. We don't have rich beer company guys for owners. I hate that we have to budget to get revenue sharing. I would love it if we got to the point of not needing that money. But we haven't yet. Though I would never want to have to pay the ticket prices y'all have to pay for sure. That is just nuts but Habs fans are nuts from what I have seen.

And spending to the cap doesn't always equal success as you well know. Spending for the sake of spending is silly.

Now guys, you know dryden likes stiring the pot, answer his question and move on.

...or just stop quoting him; it totally defeats the purpose of me blocking him.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Well, if none of the professional teams in your country can win the trophy that really matters, there's always your occasional win in international play and reminiscing about the decades gone by.

Problem being 101 the teams winning the cup are primarily filled with yep you guessed it CANADIAN born players so without us what do ya have? Not too much really lol.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Problem being 101 the teams winning the cup are primarily filled with yep you guessed it CANADIAN born players so without us what do ya have? Not too much really lol.

That's not entirely true. Last I checked there are tons of players from the US and Europe. I love Canadian hockey snobbery.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

That figure used to be nearly 100% ... now it's in the 50s-60s. More Canadian dreams of yesteryear. Canadian dominance of the sport ended over 40 years ago. It's now an international game. If it were still the niche sport that so many seem to long for Weber wouldn't be making millions, he'd need a summer job to survive.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
That figure used to be nearly 100% ... now it's in the 50s-60s. More Canadian dreams of yesteryear. Canadian dominance of the sport ended over 40 years ago. It's now an international game. If it were still the niche sport that so many seem to long for Weber wouldn't be making millions, he'd need a summer job to survive.

Exactly. In the US the same thing happened with basketball.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

you realize the 3 best players on the cup winners were a slovak, a czech and an american? and the runner ups best players were 2 swedes and an american?

and yes that is a question for you to answer in the affirmative. unless you really want to make an arguement for big game lou

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Haven't we actually had to pay into revenue sharing every time we made the playoffs? That's how I read section 49 of the CBA. We may have paid in and then got it all back but we have contributed to the pot.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure the only contributors to revenue sharing are the top ten revenue earners. I don't think play offs have anything to do with it unless the revenue from the play offs puts you into the top ten.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont

You are correct it is an international game. What I am saying is if you look at the roster of the teams that won the cup they are primarily made up of Canadian born players. The Bruins for example and as stated before the Ducks I can dig up more if you like but I am sure you will find another way to try and spin it lol.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
you realize the 3 best players on the cup winners were a slovak, a czech and an american? and the runner ups best players were 2 swedes and an american?

and yes that is a question for you to answer in the affirmative. unless you really want to make an arguement for big game lou

Not a big fan of Lou never have been really. He almost cost us the gold medal at the Olympics. SO you have picked up on 3 players from each team but 3 players does not a team make. Lucic and Ryder and Pevs et al I am sure are still all Canadians as is Dr Recchi lol. Same with that moron Max Lapiere who I hated even as a HAB but I guess we can overlook those things.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm pretty sure the only contributors to revenue sharing are the top ten revenue earners. I don't think play offs have anything to do with it unless the revenue from the play offs puts you into the top ten.

Here is what the CBA says:

49.5 Sources of Funding for Player Compensation Cost Redistribution. The funds
required to be collected for Player Compensation Cost Redistribution in a League Year
shall be collected as follows: First, from excess centrally generated League revenues, if
any; next, up to one-third (⅓) of the remaining balance from the Escrow Account, if there
is an Overage in a League Year, provided, however, that any funds taken from the
Escrow Account shall be limited to funds attributable to the Players on the ten-highest
revenue Clubs that had an Actual Club Salary for such League Year in excess of the
Midpoint of the Payroll Range for that League Year; and finally, any remaining amount
of necessary funding to be split fifty (50) percent from the Playoff revenues of all Clubs
that participate in the Playoffs Qualification Round (if any) and the Stanley Cup Playoffs,

and the other fifty (50) percent from certain revenues of the ten-highest revenue Clubs,
based on such Clubs' non-playoff revenues.

Guess it depends on whether the excess league revenues covered the needs.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Oh wow, Dryden. People born in a country that invented the game make up the majority of the roster of a Cup winner? Anything else you'd like to add so that us fans in Nashville will better understand the game?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
For the record, dryden does not speak for nor represent the viewpoints or tact of all Canadians, in the same way that Nashville shouldn't be seen as not a hockey market just because it's new and southern.

I personally feel this is too soon to be deemed a good or bad thing for Nashville, but it may be a turning point. Things aren't necessarily good or bad, that depends on how leaders respond to things. Weber may want out, he may not have faith in the team, and this may scare off other free agents and make it tougher to keep Rinne and Suter.

At the same time, this could be a calculated move by Weber to force management and ownership to take the leap to get the missing pieces now because he believes the Preds are ready to take that next step, and he's using whatever tools he has at his disposal (including contractual blackmail) to make that happen. Wars often turn in their most hopeless moments because people were forced out of complacency, and in two years time sports writers may be saying this was Nashville's Battle of Britain moment, when Weber pushed, ownership stepped up, and the team and city never looked back.

Vancouver's darkest moment was when Keenan came on board, traded our heart and soul in Linden, fans stopped coming to the games, we'd lost the Grizzlies, the team was one of the biggest money-losing teams in the league, Bure our star player wanted out, players were having all sorts of off-ice issues with each other, our savior in Mark Messier turned into Public Enemy Number 1...internationally Canada couldn't win at the Olympics or Worlds and there was even a summit put on by Hockey Canada to figure out how we could re-establish ourselves as the hockey country. A decade later, the Olympic gold was won on home soil, the Canucks make tens of millions a year in profits with one of the highest payrolls, was one game away from the Cup and are a contender for years to come with some of the world's best taking discounts to stay here and every game has been sold out for near-on a decade.

Truth is, I don't think either Canada or Vancouver's hockey turnarounds would have happened if we haven't been awakend from our arrogant slumber, assuming we're the best because we're Canadian, finally realizing you have to push and work and fight for it, and we're a better "hockey country" for it, because we earned it, not because it's an inherited right.

By the same token, nothing is stopping Nashville from becoming the dominant force in the NHL, it's not a matter of nationality or history, it's a matter of commitment, drive, focus and sacrifice. Maybe the slap in the face that we can't just assume Weber would stay because he loves it here will be exactly what is needed to make the team push itself. For all Vancouver's dominance on and off the ice, a decade ago we were losing millions of dollars and most of our games, Canadian citizenship or not.

I for one have always believed and continue to believe that where you are doesn't dictate where you'll end up. Knowing what you have to lose and being determined not to let it happen is the best asset anyone can have, regardless of your past record, and an arrogant sense of entitlement born of the location you live in (and I'm saying this as a Canadian) is the first warning sign of impending decline.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Fans around the league seem to think that this is a bad omen. A lot of Preds fans do, too. I'm curious. If something doesn't go the way that we want it to go does it automatically make it bad? Is there any situation where a superstar signs a one year contract and it's a good thing? Thoughts?

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
Hey Seth...from just your "gut feeling", do you think #6 is on the ice wearing the new white PREDS jersey when the puck is dropped 2 months from tonight in columbus. Even more of a reach, do you we still have the same Captain when the season comes to a close?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad