Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Biggest screw up in Montreal Canadians history and the start of a huge rebuild. Shea is a human pylon with a big slap shot. Hopefully we can trade him soon or even better buy him out

Nashville would gladly take him back...if they would had space + $$$ to get him. He is still a very good NHL d-man. Don't fool yourself.

Habs could also try to trade him to his #1 fan, Babcock in TO.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
All of that does not contradict the point that he is one-dimensional on offense. His calling card is goals; we are in agreement about that. His passing is one in which he'd just not get involved. It's not that he's a bad passer, but that he'd rather pass the buck to someone else, like Suter or Josi.
Still never posted more than 33 assists a season. Again, he is a productive goal scorer, but not particularly useful as a playmaker. If he had playmaking ability, he would be Erik Karlsson.

Yes he never posted more then 33 assists in a season. He also never played behind a decent team, or in offensive minutes. No d man is putting up huge assists being utilized like a shut down d man.

Lets be real here....when PK won the Norris he started on the o zone 55 percent of the time and if I remeber correctly wasn’t even killing penalties. Weber same year started in the o zone 42 % of the time. Flip usage around and no way PK has a Norris.

Webers offensive production when you consider how he is used is insane. Yes, he scores a lot of goals on the PP, that is when he is used most in the o zone. Its incredible to me that his absolute dominance on the PP is somehow evidence of him being an incomplete offensive player. Or that him recovering a puck and making a short pass to a player with speed is also a knock against him. Its bizzare, this is a very effective way to move the puck up ice.

I’m mostly done arguing Webers effectiveness on these boards, folks don’t seem to understand how much of a unicorn a player is that can score 20 goals, come top 10 in D scoring and be the best shutdown guy in the league. He is the ultimate substance player but his lack of style does not play well in Montreal.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Jul 6, 2016
Yes he never posted more then 33 assists in a season. He also never played behind a decent team, or in offensive minutes. No d man is putting up huge assists being utilized like a shut down d man.

Lets be real here....when PK won the Norris he started on the o zone 55 percent of the time and if I remeber correctly wasn’t even killing penalties. Weber same year started in the o zone 42 % of the time. Flip usage around and no way PK has a Norris.

Webers offensive production when you consider how he is used is insane. Yes, he scores a lot of goals on the PP, that is when he is used most in the o zone. Its incredible to me that his absolute dominance on the PP is somehow evidence of him being an incomplete offensive player. Or that him recovering a puck and making a short pass to a player with speed is also a knock against him. Its bizzare, this is a very effective way to move the puck up ice.

I’m mostly done arguing Webers effectiveness on these boards, folks don’t seem to understand how much of a unicorn a player is that can score 20 goals, come top 10 in D scoring and be the best shutdown guy in the league. He is the ultimate substance player but his lack of style does not play well in Montreal.

Just PK's opposite !!!

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Nashville would gladly take him back...if they would had space + $$$ to get him. He is still a very good NHL d-man. Don't fool yourself.

Babcock does not want him, don't base anything on that one statement in the past that was just said to save face for a friend. Besides, Babcock has Ozihgnaov, whose shot was the hardest in the KHL and would have been ranked next just behind Weber's if he was in the NHL. Plus he's 25, big, can skate and does not have a $7.8M yearly contract that the Leafs wouldn't take.

Ozhiganov played well yesterday considering it was his first real NHL game and it was on a smaller ice surface than he is used to. Babcock likes him as well and will most likely keep him on the Leafs instead of sending him to the AHL for adjustment.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Biggest screw up in Montreal Canadians history and the start of a huge rebuild. Shea is a human pylon with a big slap shot. Hopefully we can trade him soon or even better buy him out

Nothing beats the Patrick Roy trade as the worst screw up in Habs history at least since the '80's when I started following the team.

He was a very good NHL d-man, no one knows yet what impact the injuries will have on a 33 year old with 932 games played (reg+playoffs) I'm not saying he will suck, but he was already slow and now has been out over a year and has a major foot/knee injuries. I'm sure he'll be fine but until we see him in game action it's hard to know just what impact the injuries have had.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Babcock does not want him, don't base anything on that one statement in the past that was just said to save face for a friend. Besides, Babcock has Ozihgnaov, whose shot was the hardest in the KHL and would have been ranked next just behind Weber's if he was in the NHL. Plus he's 25, big, can skate and does not have a $7.8M yearly contract that the Leafs wouldn't take.

Ozhiganov played well yesterday considering it was his first real NHL game and it was on a smaller ice surface than he is used to. Babcock likes him as well and will most likely keep him on the Leafs instead of sending him to the AHL for adjustment.

Are you really comparing Shea Weber to an unknown 25 years old who had a meh pre-season game?

The appreciation of Shea Weber on this forum is mindblogging. Guy is a top 10 D and top 5 Norris finalist almost every year yet he is talked like he is a 7th D on a garbage contract. Just FYI, he’s cheaper (money & cap hit) then Burns who both are signed for ~7 more years at 33 years old.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Are you really comparing Shea Weber to an unknown 25 years old who had a meh pre-season game?

The appreciation of Shea Weber on this forum is mindblogging. Guy is a top 10 D and top 5 Norris finalist almost every year yet he is talked like he is a 7th D on a garbage contract. Just FYI, he’s cheaper (money & cap hit) then Burns who both are signed for ~7 more years at 33 years old.

Of course he's not Weber, but he is a junior lite version, a similar type player with just as hard a shot, who had a good pre season and played well in the KHL. The similarities is probably why they got him and if he plays half as well as Weber he'll be good and on their team. All considered, taking into account injury, age, and especially his contract there is little to zero chance now the Leafs will be looking to get Weber. Regardless of Babcock anyway, Kyle Dubas would never do it.

What really needs to be refuted and put to bed though is that old stale comment Babcock made once a long while ago about his ex Canada player Weber to help Weber save face.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Welcome to the insanity. Weber is a terrific dman, can settle any blueline down, any contender would love to have him.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

You have to understand that Weber was acquired by losing the most popular guy in the franchise for decades. That has a tendency to affect judgment a bit....

"the biggest screwup in history" when we have Patrick Roy, Scott Gomez, John Leclair/Desjardins etc...

Reactions: the

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Of course he's not Weber, but he is a junior lite version, a similar type player with just as hard a shot, who had a good pre season and played well in the KHL. The similarities is probably why they got him and if he plays half as well as Weber he'll be good and on their team. All considered, taking into account injury, age, and especially his contract there is little to zero chance now the Leafs will be looking to get Weber. Regardless of Babcock anyway, Kyle Dubas would never do it.

What really needs to be refuted and put to bed though is that old stale comment Babcock made once a long while ago about his ex Canada player Weber to help Weber save face.

Very junior and verly lite I would argue. In 42 games in the KHL last year he had 2G and 7 A. Weber had 6G and 10A in 26 games in a broken foot. Unless KHL goalies are significantly better than NHL ones I don't see how one can compare him to Weber in any way.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You have to understand that Weber was acquired by losing the most popular guy in the franchise for decades. That has a tendency to affect judgment a bit....

"the biggest screwup in history" when we have Patrick Roy, Scott Gomez, John Leclair/Desjardins etc...

We didn’t win with Subban either. A healthy Subban vs a healthy Weber? I’m still unsure who I take but I believe most players and coaches would take Weber.

Again, comparing him to a 25 years old nobody is... there’s not even a word for that.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We didn’t win with Subban either. A healthy Subban vs a healthy Weber? I’m still unsure who I take but I believe most players and coaches would take Weber.

Subban has 2 seasons of 59 and 60 pts, both are better then Weber's career high. Subban at 28 had 4 50+ point seasons which is 1 more then 33 year old Weber but you don't know which one you would take?

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

We've seen guys like that before that never came close to Weber. Gelinas ring a bell?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Again, comparing him to a 25 years old nobody is... there’s not even a word for that.

Weber is a better locker room guy and leader. Subban is the better player that does more to help a team win.

Blaming your top players for not winning is always an incredibly dumb idea. Its hard to win in the NHL. For anybody.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Subban has 2 seasons of 59 and 60 pts, both are better then Weber's career high. Subban at 28 had 4 50+ point seasons which is 1 more then 33 year old Weber but you don't know which one you would take?
Also Subban has two semis and one final appearance. Weber has 0. Both players played for the same teams. Subban is soooo lucky Montreal started to be bad right when he left and Nashville started to be good right when he joined.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Very junior and verly lite I would argue. In 42 games in the KHL last year he had 2G and 7 A. Weber had 6G and 10A in 26 games in a broken foot. Unless KHL goalies are significantly better than NHL ones I don't see how one can compare him to Weber in any way.

Of course he's not Weber, just that they play similar styles, both big with a hard shot. Who would ever match Weber at the prime of his career?

What needs to be put away is that stale old statement that Babcock loves Weber and wants him on his team.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
There's no way around it, the trade was already awful to begin with. Depending on the return for an aging, recovering from double knee surgeries Weber, it can end up looking even uglier. So while it may not be the biggest screw up as of now, it could potentially be.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Subban is better defensively than Weber right now I don’t see the point Weber fans are trying to make by comparing the two . Weber has a better shot... that’s pretty much it.

Subban is better at defending zone entries, retrieving pucks in the corners on dump ins and board battles in general , he’s better at getting the puck out of the zone with his passes or his skating, he’s better at the point in the offensive zone and he’s much less predictable than Weber on the powerplay. Weber can score goals and cross check people I guess that’s not bad. But he’s frankly not close to subban defensively or offensively overal when it comes to playing hockey in 2018-2019.

I hate to be that guy but it’s not even close.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I prefer Weber - he's a better #1 dman in my opinion. But they are both good players.

I really don't understand why people care so much about the trade - it's bizarre. Neither player is much better or worse than the other, so why not just move on with your lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad