Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
3 first overalls in that list you provided....it’s why it’s imperative we finish close to last.

A first overall pick added to Kotka and Poehling would launch us into success fairly quickly

Especially in the next two drafts, it should be easier to target a top player. So many contradictory takes on Kotka, I wish we'll have a more clear-cut decision next time out.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This is not me saying that Weber scoring goals on the power play is a bad thing. It is me saying Weber scoring more goals than Subban isn't that important because he doesn't score more at even strength, and because his PP goals come at the cost of other players on the PP. Weber has probably the best or 2nd best point shot in the league, but even the best point shot in the world is less likely to be a goal from 30 feet away than an average shooter from 10 or 15 feet. Weber scores lots of goals on the PP which obviously is a good thing, but running your whole powerplay through a point shot that's telegraphed to the opposition isn't optimal. To be fair, Nashville does the same thing and their PP is mediocre because they over-rely on their defensemen and Subban/Ellis point shots and they run 2D on each PP wave.

The Habs' PP was actually substantially more effective with Petry instead of Weber, because instead of dozens of shots from the point, Petry was more likely to move the puck to forwards in a better spot to shoot (and offered another PP zone entry option other than Drouin). Weber scoring lots of goals is a good thing, but he doesn't really do it at even strength (at least not in Montreal), and his scoring on the PP comes at a huge opportunity cost because the power play is actually more effective with Petry and with forwards taking shots from 10-15 feet closer to the net.

Don't underestimate the potency of a killer PP. It took the Sharks to the SCF a few years ago, and it carried the Leafs, Jets, Bruins and a couple other teams way up the standings last year. Weber can be a huge component of getting the Habs' PP up to that level. 2 years ago running everything through Weber's shot was kind of dumb, teams caught on and cheated on coverage against him - and it worked. The problem is the Habs didn't have anyone on the right side who could make them pay for doing that. Neither Radulov or Patches were very dangerous on the PP, they were ok on the boards but would just roll off with a non-threatening wrister. In theory Galchenyuk could have been punishing there with his one-timer but his play on the boards was terrible and he had trouble finding those open shooting spots and lanes. I'm kind of hoping Lekhonen (who is a smart player, and has a decent one-timer) or Drouin could become that serious right side circle threat to balance out Weber on the left. That could really open things up for the Habs' PP

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Notice how Radolov and Galchenyuk both made great skilled plays with the puck to create that goal. I still can't believe I have to watch a team without them - actually I don't and I won't. Letting those two go, along with Markov and Subban, is a disgrace. And I'm only lightly following the team until Bergevin is gone.

In the clip RDS had today (top5 goals), all passes aside from one goal (Shaw) came from Galchenyuk, Markov and Radulov. I laughed a bit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In the clip RDS had today (top5 goals), all passes aside from one goal (Shaw) came from Galchenyuk, Markov and Radulov. I laughed a bit

All we can do is hope that Timmins can draft more special players like Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Sergachev (plus McDonagh), that Bergevin is fired, and that the next GM will get a lucky chance to land a player like Radulov and then make sure he re-signs him (as Gainey did with Kovalev).

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
After Julien was hired, I made a mental note everytime a teammate of Weber made a pass which led to a scoring chance. Only Radulov (9-11 times) and Galchenyuk (4-5 times) are part of the sample.

Bergevin is so stupid he thought it was impossible to predict this team would have the type of year it had last year. He needs to be fired ASAP.

Reactions: ArtPeur

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
After Julien was hired, I made a mental note everytime a teammate of Weber made a pass which led to a scoring chance. Only Radulov (9-11 times) and Galchenyuk (4-5 times) are part of the sample.

Bergevin is so stupid he thought it was impossible to predict this team would have the type of year it had last year. He needs to be fired ASAP.
People really shouldn't be surprised. Weber lets his partner run the offense while he just unleashes a successful bomb 15-20 times a season so he can be paid much more than a forward to score 20 goals a season.

Weber lives up to his nickname of Sasquatch more than any other nickname of his. So many accolades, yet his offense is one-dimensional and his passing can be described as "I'd rather defer to some else". His offense is not playoff-worthy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So when in December would it be reasonable to expect Weber back? Start, middle, or end of December?

he's said to be out 5 to 6 months, so he went under the knife on 6-19 so 11-19 to 12-19 is when he's expected back. I saw on TSN where he said he won't rush back.

so we'll see as we get closer what the update is on when he's due back.

Reactions: Bacchus1

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
People really shouldn't be surprised. Weber lets his partner run the offense while he just unleashes a successful bomb 15-20 times a season so he can be paid much more than a forward to score 20 goals a season.

Weber lives up to his nickname of Sasquatch more than any other nickname of his. So many accolades, yet his offense is one-dimensional and his passing can be described as "I'd rather defer to some else". His offense is not playoff-worthy.

His offense might no be, but his stare is.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

He has highest point D man his first year here.

In 2013-14 he led entire Nashville squad in points, not just D...everyone.
He did the same in 2012-13.

9 points off top scorer in 2011-12
2 points off in 2010-11
8 points off in 2009-10
12 points off in 2008-09

This is a more conservative d-man and he still led his team in points and was close to the top. I don't think he leached off anyone.

What I can say is as he gets older his game becomes less effective and he's smart enough to adapt and relay certain things to other players from time to time. His IQ should allow him to be good for a while longer if his leg holds up.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He has highest point D man his first year here.

In 2013-14 he led entire Nashville squad in points, not just D...everyone.
He did the same in 2012-13.

9 points off top scorer in 2011-12
2 points off in 2010-11
8 points off in 2009-10
12 points off in 2008-09

This is a more conservative d-man and he still led his team in points and was close to the top. I don't think he leached off anyone.

What I can say is as he gets older his game becomes less effective and he's smart enough to adapt and relay certain things to other players from time to time. His IQ should allow him to be good for a while longer if his leg holds up.

Playing with complete plugs in Nashville and starting in his own end 65% of the time. Best C he played behind was either Ribeiro or Fisher...think about that.

You have to be some kind of casual fan to think a guy that can come close to leading D in scoring, lead in goals and play true shut down is a one dimensional player.

And if he hadn’t got hurt last year he would have been top 5 Norris again for like the 6th time. And will be when he returns.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Playing with complete plugs in Nashville and starting in his own end 65% of the time. Best C he played behind was either Ribeiro or Fisher...think about that.

You have to be some kind of casual fan to think a guy that can come close to leading D in scoring, lead in goals and play true shut down is a one dimensional player.

And if he hadn’t got hurt last year he would have been top 5 Norris again for like the 6th time. And will be when he returns.

All of that does not contradict the point that he is one-dimensional on offense. His calling card is goals; we are in agreement about that. His passing is one in which he'd just not get involved. It's not that he's a bad passer, but that he'd rather pass the buck to someone else, like Suter or Josi.
Still never posted more than 33 assists a season. Again, he is a productive goal scorer, but not particularly useful as a playmaker. If he had playmaking ability, he would be Erik Karlsson.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
he's said to be out 5 to 6 months, so he went under the knife on 6-19 so 11-19 to 12-19 is when he's expected back. I saw on TSN where he said he won't rush back.

so we'll see as we get closer what the update is on when he's due back.

If he makes it back in late November to early December then the team might have a better chance making the playoffs. If he comes back late December or later, then the hole may be too deep.

Our D is pretty sucky without our #1 in the lineup.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The guy is literally the best goal scoring dman in the league while also be being physically dominant and a defensive stalwart. But ya let’s completely discredit him because he got injured blocking a shot.
In a league that thrives on creativity and puck movement, it's kind of important to notice what he lacks.
He's a great Dman, but not great enough.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
An
All of that does not contradict the point that he is one-dimensional on offense. His calling card is goals; we are in agreement about that. His passing is one in which he'd just not get involved. It's not that he's a bad passer, but that he'd rather pass the buck to someone else, like Suter or Josi.
Still never posted more than 33 assists a season. Again, he is a productive goal scorer, but not particularly useful as a playmaker. If he had playmaking ability, he would be Erik Karlsson.
And that one dimension is more than enough apparently. He's neck a neck with Subban for ES points per 60 so what's your point?

I don't get why people feel the need to bash this guy.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Biggest screw up in Montreal Canadians history and the start of a huge rebuild. Shea is a human pylon with a big slap shot. Hopefully we can trade him soon or even better buy him out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad