Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree , we will disagree. I just dont see how taking on a guy who been terrible moving into his 30's with a big contract and we're rebuilding would be a good move.

Cause we have cap space and it will go unused. And if he rebounds like Tatar, we have an asset to trade when he is a pending UFA :sarcasm:

If he is as bad as you say, he helps us tank but maybe some people still want to see him play for the Habs and buys a ticket? I don't see any risks cause we are going nowhere in the short span. More growing pain years to come bud

You think we going on deep playoff runs in the next 2 seasons after this one which is the term Subban has left? Come on man. Bringing Subban back is a good story to me, not a bad story

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Unfortunate for Weber. Third straight season of injuries. Can't see him coming back this season.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Cause we have cap space and it will go unused. And if he rebounds like Tatar, we have an asset to trade when he is a pending UFA :sarcasm:

If he is as bad as you say, he helps us tank but maybe some people still want to see him play for the Habs and buys a ticket? I don't see any risks cause we are going nowhere in the short span. More growing pain years to come bud

You think we going on deep playoff runs in the next 2 seasons after this one which is the term Subban has left? Come on man. Bringing Subban back is a good story to me, not a bad story
When was Tatar bad? He's always been consistent.

You got guys to sign coming up. MB would have to be out of his mind to bring him back.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
nobody. complete **** show which should have never happened. Subban might still be striving in MTL, a city which he loved playing for, and Weber might still be healthy in NSH. sigh

Quick, call Star Fleet and hook us into the alternative time line.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

The only problem I see with that story is that the dressing room hierarchy, in particular Gallagher who is probably our next Captain, does not seem to like PK at all. I don't think he was the only one, and there was a reported division in the room.

This is coming from a big PK fan by the way.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is a trade that should be made in the summer ,but if we are trading for Subban I do hope we are buying low. Giving a bunch of 2nd round picks and a prospect for him when he shouldn't be protected for the expansion draft the following year and only has 16 points and getting paid 9mil is too much.

You wanted to trade Weber before this season started with retention and a potential $6.4M cap recapture penalty? I think your tank glasses are clouding your vision.

As far as Subban... we should be able to buy low and if Weber is done for the year, we can easily take on 100% of his contract and the Devils owner would love to not pay that $6M July money this year and next. Byron, 2nd, and Hillis (or Fonstad) gets it done IMO.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
All those heavy minutes playing in the West were bound to catch up to him. Many predicted it. Hopefully he gets back to playing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only problem I see with that story is that the dressing room hierarchy, in particular Gallagher who is probably our next Captain, does not seem to like PK at all. I don't think he was the only one, and there was a reported division in the room.

This is coming from a big PK fan by the way.

I think Subban is a different person and more humble these days. I think he does what it takes to be part of our team. I was and will always be a fan of Subban. I think bringing him back is a good story. Gallagher is a classy guy... he will welcome him

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You wanted to trade Weber before this season started with retention and a potential $6.4M cap recapture penalty? I think your tank glasses are clouding your vision.

As far as Subban... we should be able to buy low and if Weber is done for the year, we can easily take on 100% of his contract and the Devils owner would love to not pay that $6M July money this year and next. Byron, 2nd, and Hillis (or Fonstad) gets it done IMO.
Subban isn't coming back. I know you love the guy, but the sooner you can let this dream die, the happier you'll be :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Subban isn't coming back. I know you love the guy, but the sooner you can let this dream die, the happier you'll be :)

Never say never bud. And it's not a dream, It's an idea and a conversation. It's disingenuous to twist an idea onto someone like it's a dream IMO. Do I think it will happen? I don't know what Bergevin is thinking. However, I can only speak to what I would do if I was the GM or it was my choice.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Ouff that will hurt if he played is last game of his career. Our defence was already weak imagine without Weber ! I don’t think we will be in playoff next year either

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

This looks at Subbans numbers BEFORE his awful year this year. They are bad and this year it's even worse.
Truth by Numbers: Is P.K. Subban on the decline? - Sportsnet.ca

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The best possible situation for Subban was in Nashville on a veteran team that was able to insulate him and even there it turned for the worse. We see how bad of a fit he is and how exposed he is on team like the Devils where he was expected to lead and mentor a younger team. Bringing him back is just a recipe for disaster. I don't want PK and his circus anywhere near younger players.
Guess I don't really see how you can point to Subban for those failures. It's like suggesting Weber failed in leadership because of the lack of development with Montreal young players.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Never say never bud. And it's not a dream, It's an idea and a conversation. It's disingenuous to twist an idea onto someone like it's a dream IMO. Do I think it will happen? I don't know what Bergevin is thinking. However, I can only speak to what I would do if I was the GM or it was my choice.
It's an idea that will never come to fruition.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I hope he makes a decision that benefits his health and future over playing again.

We will know more soon. Hopefully it isn't bad and he can come back from it. Do we know if it is the same foot?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
geez i know many wanted him traded but not this quickly :(
no assets coming back; if he's gone for a long time or retires,
they will resign petry and probably trade one of our bigger assets
for a legit Dman...
there's no one ready to replace weber's mins, leadership etc

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.