Player Discussion Shea Weber: The Big C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He if needs surgery again he should get it soon, this season is toast.

They may wait to announce anything, the way they waited until after the start of free agency the last time. The longer they wait though, the more speculation will surface.

It's Montreal, management can try to keep it under the radar but it's almost impossible. I do think he will have surgery soon if that's the problem. Right now, all we know is he is traveling to see the same doctor that worked on his foot to investigate

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
No not joking cause I don't think he is slow and fading fast. Not afraid of his 2 more years in term and like I said, that is my high point. I star lower than that.

Subban would be no better or worse than Petry on our roster. Let that sink in
Oh yea he'd be far worse then Petry.
I understand being a fan of a player but that would be a terrible move.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
What's with the rumors this could be career ending.

Ya, like what’s with this career ending stuff....who’s saying he’s done??

It is apparently the foot he had surgically fixed in '18 --- if it is the same foot, and the same issue, the Doctors may suggest he doesn't play again. Hockey is great, he obviously loves it and is amazing at it, but if a top-tier Doctor tells you to stop playing hockey or you may never walk again one day; its a scary thought, especially for someone who is a father and a husband. I'm sure at his age he is way more aware about the value of life after hockey.

I think his season (and consequently ours) is done. It's a shame that we went on this massive run because it was super fun to watch but now we're likely going to end up drafting around 8-12 instead of 3-5.

I hope it's not a career ending injury, but if it is then that's just how it happens sometimes. We will have almost 20m in cap space, and only one 'bad' contract; we will be pretty abysmal for a few years but I think it definitely puts us in a position that if we want to let Seattle take Price and start over we could without any anchors holding us down.

If Weber is done, I think Bergevin should be fired, and someone else should come in and build the team with a new vision in mind. We have an incredibly young core, and Price is still good enough that we could eat some of his salary and ship him somewhere so he can help a contending team really compete at a cup, whilst getting a major piece (or two) back. If we wait on it, we will get pretty much nothing for him and may even be bogged down by his contract one day.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Devils were never good though. Meanwhile, Nashville/Montreal took a nosedive after he left, does that mean he carried their locker-room?
The best possible situation for Subban was in Nashville on a veteran team that was able to insulate him and even there it turned for the worse. We see how bad of a fit he is and how exposed he is on team like the Devils where he was expected to lead and mentor a younger team. Bringing him back is just a recipe for disaster. I don't want PK and his circus anywhere near younger players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seriously IF Weber is done, we will need to trade Domi for a right handed d-man.

Like who? Dumba? I rather not. Why we in a hurry to replace Weber? I'm confused... Doesn't the majority of our fan base think we suck even with Weber? Something not adding up here man.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It is apparently the foot he had surgically fixed in '18 --- if it is the same foot, and the same issue, the Doctors may suggest he doesn't play again. Hockey is great, he obviously loves it and is amazing at it, but if a top-tier Doctor tells you to stop playing hockey or you may never walk again one day; its a scary thought, especially for someone who is a father and a husband. I'm sure at his age he is way more aware about the value of life after hockey.

I think his season (and consequently ours) is done. It's a shame that we went on this massive run because it was super fun to watch but now we're likely going to end up drafting around 8-12 instead of 3-5.

I hope it's not a career ending injury, but if it is then that's just how it happens sometimes. We will have almost 20m in cap space, and only one 'bad' contract; we will be pretty abysmal for a few years but I think it definitely puts us in a position that if we want to let Seattle take Price and start over we could without any anchors holding us down.

If Weber is done, I think Bergevin should be fired, and someone else should come in and build the team with a new vision in mind. We have an incredibly young core, and Price is still good enough that we could eat some of his salary and ship him somewhere so he can help a contending team really compete at a cup, whilst getting a major piece (or two) back. If we wait on it, we will get pretty much nothing for him and may even be bogged down by his contract one day.
Way out of line with "may never walk again" .
Repeated surgeries are a red flag for an area and odds get reduced greatly on full recoveries.
For basketball players foot surgeries are often career ending.
But hockey is a gliding sport and it's rarely career ending.
Name another hockey player that his career ended on a foot injury/surgery?
I cant.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Shea Weber to Dr Anderson: Whaddya think doc? Can you fix it?

Until we hear otherwise, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, at worst, he only needs another surgery. This season was done anyway.
Seems we are assuming worst case scenario here......Habs may just shut him down for the season. I’m concerned but I’m not gonna assume anything in regards to his health until people who are in the know give me some answers

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's Montreal, management can try to keep it under the radar but it's almost impossible. I do think he will have surgery soon if that's the problem. Right now, all we know is he is traveling to see the same doctor that worked on his foot to investigate
Someone may remember the exact dates, but iirc he had surgery sometime in June 2018 but it wasn't announced until July, after the free agency rush. Don't recall it getting leaked before then that time. The timeframe here feeds speculation although they have said there should be more info by the end of the week.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We don' see it the same. Simple as that. Subban is better than you think. Still gas left in that tank IMO but he is uninspired in Jersey
I agree , we will disagree. I just dont see how taking on a guy who been terrible moving into his 30's with a big contract and we're rebuilding would be a good move.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
That is a trade that should be made in the summer ,but if we are trading for Subban I do hope we are buying low. Giving a bunch of 2nd round picks and a prospect for him when he shouldn't be protected for the expansion draft the following year and only has 16 points and getting paid 9mil is too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad