Shea Weber named captain of the Canadiens

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I don't really see the issue. He'll probably be a good role model for the younger kids.
As long as people don't hold him to account if or when the Habs are terrible this year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't really see the issue. He'll probably be a good role model for the younger kids.
As long as people don't hold him to account if or when the Habs are terrible this year.

There is an entire brigade of posters devoted to preventing any insinuation that Weber or Price might have had anything to do with any bad performance of the Montreal Canadiens.

But remember, trading for Weber was a ''win now'' move.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
There is an entire brigade of posters devoted to preventing any insinuation that Weber or Price might have had anything to do with any bad performance of the Montreal Canadiens.

But remember, trading for Weber was a ''win now'' move.

Really though, there isn't a single player who should be held to account for a bad team. Weber didn't make the Subban trade and he didn't assemble this roster. He's past his prime but wearing the 'C' on a bad team in a hockey crazy town can go south fast.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
He'll look good with the thick white C on his chest.

He's a hard man and a big presence in the dressing room.

Anyone who has seen him in jeans knows he's a natural leader, I definitely wouldnt be able to resist following him.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Really though, there isn't a single player who should be held to account for a bad team. Weber didn't make the Subban trade and he didn't assemble this roster. He's past his prime but wearing the 'C' on a bad team in a hockey crazy town can go south fast.

Man, you should've seen some of the things that were promised on the behalf of Weber's leadership when he first got here.

Indeed his captaincy both makes sense and is totally irrelevant. If there had to be a Captain, it had to be Weber, since Gallagher, as a pest, is not well liked. But I'm not sure why there needed to be a captain for what's about to happen.

Reactions: LeafsLegendAkiBerg

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I said it when Subban was traded and earlier this summer aswell when the next Habs captain was discussed, no way Patches stays longterm and Shea Weber will be the next captain.
He isnt from Montreal but other than that, he fits everything a conservative organization like Habs want as traditional a captain. Good Canadian boy, does everything like he should, plays hard as hell etc. There was no chance in hell Patches was going to be a captain in Montreal longterm with Weber around.

He is probably a good (the best) choice but i just had an awful feeling about Habs after the Subban trade because for it was so obvious from the first day Weber was around that Habs wanted him as a captain and not Patches.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it's risky.

They'll be at the bottom of the league this season which make for lot of angry fans, Weber is missing a year of hockey due to multiple injuries/surgeries and his game could start to see a sharp decline, and he was traded for Subban.

Could get a lot of negative heat over the following years.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't understand why they would wait if he's the guy. Toronto is the only organization afraid to name a captain.
Afraid isn't the right word. Cautious would be. Toronto and Montreal are insane markets. I don't put much stock into a letter on a Jersey but if you're going to do it,get it right. It was forced with Phaneuf and it may be forced with Weber considering hes out for a while and the GM is on the hot seat desperate to justify the Subban trade. Weber was a great player and may continue to be but the timing here is bizarre.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Then I remembered his immovable contact runs for like 37 more years so he should be Captain for a while.

I tend to believe that if you think that contract is "immovable", then you don't understand what that word, or the contract in question, actually is. You know what's "immovable"? A 4th D making $9mil per

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Afraid isn't the right word. Cautious would be. Toronto and Montreal are insane markets. I don't put much stock into a letter on a Jersey but if you're going to do it,get it right. It was forced with Phaneuf and it may be forced with Weber considering hes out for a while and the GM is on the hot seat desperate to justify the Subban trade. Weber was a great player and may continue to be but the timing here is bizarre.

Way too much being made of the fact that he is injured.

The last time they named a captain in October who was injured and did not play his first reg season game as captain until December was some guy named Beliveau. I think that worked out okay for them.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Way too much being made of the fact that he is injured.

The last time they named a captain in October who was injured and did not play his first reg season game as captain until December was some guy named Beliveau. I think that worked out okay for them.

Are you comparing a Captains role of a 6 team league in 1960 to a 31 league team in 2018? It's changed a lot.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
The fact that there is a semblance of controversy with this choice is absurd. He was the logical choice to captain this team.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Brian Gionta
Max Pacioretty
Washed up Weber

They should have not named a captain. I like how the Leafs will not do so, even with Matthews, Tavares and Rielly. Someone on the first page said they’re scared to, no, I think they want a captain who will be remembered as a great. Shanny saw how the city treated Phaneuf.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Are you comparing a Captains role of a 6 team league in 1960 to a 31 league team in 2018? It's changed a lot.

I am comparing naming a captain of the Nhl's most storied franchise who is injured until December to naming a captain of the Nhl's most storied franchise who is injured until December. What does 6 or 31 teams have to do with being injured or not? Are you saying that it was easier or harder with 6 teams?

Being a captain today is not the same as it was in 1962, but that is a function of the world we live in 24 media coverage, social media etc. IMO opinion the number of teams does not change anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad