Player Discussion Shea Weber -- Leader of the Ents Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
This is the leadership Bergevin wanted: quiet and unlikely to ever speak up about anything. He didn't want a guy who wants to be a winner, he wanted a good soldier for the company that has 0 chance of ever saying or doing anything that might hurt the glorious image of the Canadiens and that's what he got. Not that Weber was some horrific player but dumping Subban for him destroyed any sense of passion a hockey team might have.

All I know is they were quick to tear down No Excuses after a single year and pretend it was never said because that's all they have: excuses. Nothing is ever anyone's fault in Montreal, just that darn luck and it's impossible to do anything to help yourself.

I think it’s the captain’s job to not do or say things publicly that draw negative attention to the team. However bad things may be going, when the captain is calling out the organization in the press, that’s going to make things worse.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Probably playing hurt and there is a limit to what he can do. i strongly propose removing him from the pp so he can have quality minutes.
I've seen people in the media suggest the same thing, that he's playing hurt.

I don't buy it.

Just lazy media narrative.

Shea Weber is faultless, so when he's struggling, it MUST be because he's injured.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We should remove him from the PP cause he f***ing sucks there.
He has not played well on the PP.................they take away the big shot, and that line of PP guys don't react well, unless Suzuki can roof one....otherwise it's dismal and we lose the faceoff and spend the time running back to get the puck.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Shea Weber is faultless, so when he's struggling, it MUST be because he's injured.
The power of reputation. I would also suggest that he gets this rope because his GM also has the perception of Weber being faultless.

I think we should be clear here, well at least for me, I don't think Weber is playing like an AHLer, but he's definitely not playing like a top 3 dman (top on his own club).

He's still at minimum a second pairing guy. The problem is, he's making gaffes that usually come with age, i.e., decision making gaffes because the game is faster than his body can react.

Personally, I think Weber has the hockey IQ to be able to adjust his game. The question is whether he wants to. One the ice it looks like he wants to play the same game he was playing in his late 20s. He has to adjust and simplify. To be fair, it doesn't help that he does not have a stable partner.

His game looks to me like someone who hasn't accepted that they need to change their game.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I don't buy it.

Absolutely.. it's a f***ing joke.

Dude is old, couldn't skate well in his prime.. couldn't pass the puck well in his prime.. couldn't stickhandle in his prime.

So as all those skills diminish further as he ages and his shot is no longer a weapon, while having no partner who can compensate for his weaknesses.. he gets exposed for really what he is at this point.. a defensive defenseman who can only control the play when its slowed down and in a cycle. Anything rush related, he's in trouble. Any time he's required to make a pass, he's in trouble.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The power of reputation. I would also suggest that he gets this rope because his GM also has the perception of Weber being faultless.

I think we should be clear here, well at least for me, I don't think Weber is playing like an AHLer, but he's definitely not playing like a top 3 dman (top on his own club).

He's still at minimum a second pairing guy. The problem is, he's making gaffes that usually come with age, i.e., decision making gaffes because the game is faster than his body can react.

Personally, I think Weber has the hockey IQ to be able to adjust his game. The question is whether he wants to. One the ice it looks like he wants to play the same game he was playing in his late 20s. He has to adjust and simplify. To be fair, it doesn't help that he does not have a stable partner.

His game looks to me like someone who hasn't accepted that they need to change their game.
To me it's not about him potentially being injured or him being slow.

Because he's never been quick/fast...but he excelled because he "thought" the game quicker than his feet, his positioning was excellent as well.

I think he will find his game again but it would be nice if the media made him even a tiny bit accountable. Perhaps that might get him going.

Reactions: Andy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Absolutely.. it's a f***ing joke.

Dude is old, couldn't skate well in his prime.. couldn't pass the puck well in his prime.. couldn't stickhandle in his prime.

So as all those skills diminish further as he ages and his shot is no longer a weapon, while having no partner who can compensate for his weaknesses.. he gets exposed for really what he is at this point.. a defensive defenseman who can only control the play when its slowed down and in a cycle. Anything rush related, he's in trouble. Any time he's required to make a pass, he's in trouble.
Biggest issue right now is this.

He can't make a solid 1st pass out of his zone, something he used to do efficiently...and on the PP he's actually a liability because of how static he is.

I don't think it's entirely his fault, the coaching staff doesn't seem to have realized his limitations and they keep playing him like it's 2011 and not 2021.

Last game I'm watching, he's on the PP, Toffoli is open on the left circle...Weber sends him a pass that's 2 feet off the ice.

And what is Pierre Houde's reaction?

"Quelle mauvaise réception de Toffoli"

Hmmmmm??

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Because he's never been quick/fast...but he excelled because he "thought" the game quicker than his feet, his positioning was excellent as well.

I think he will find his game again but it would be nice if the media made him even a tiny bit accountable. Perhaps that might get him going.

We saw the media at least try a couple of times last game and he just ducked them by trying to make it about the team. That last press conference was a really bad look for Weber, as well as Drouin who had the balls to tell a reporter asking about his long goal drought to look at the column next to goals when he’s had 2 assists in 12 games.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We saw the media at least try a couple of times last game and he just ducked them by trying to make it about the team. That last press conference was a really bad look for Weber, as well as Drouin who had the balls to tell a reporter asking about his long goal drought to look at the column next to goals when he’s had 2 assists in 12 games.
Yeah I suppose it's just I recall the constant questioning of Pacioretty or Koivu's leadership and it doesn't feel like the coverage is consistent there.

Either way...I want/hope/expect him to find his game again.

But please...can we stop seeing Weber at the top of the umbrella on the PP?

That specific spot is usually reserved to the PP QB, he has to make passing/shooting decisions, manipulate the PK box, be quick enough to retreat when/of the puck is turned over.

It's poor evaluation of your own personnel to put him in that spot.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I don't buy it.

it happens with every struggling over the hill player.

Fans not just buy it they also propagate it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Biggest issue right now is this.

He can't make a solid 1st pass out of his zone, something he used to do efficiently...and on the PP he's actually a liability because of how static he is.

I don't think it's entirely his fault, the coaching staff doesn't seem to have realized his limitations and they keep playing him like it's 2011 and not 2021.

Last game I'm watching, he's on the PP, Toffoli is open on the left circle...Weber sends him a pass that's 2 feet off the ice.

And what is Pierre Houde's reaction?

"Quelle mauvaise réception de Toffoli"

Hmmmmm??

They brought it up on Antichambre after asking what's wrong with Weber. Even passes to a wide open man like Toffoli he has trouble making...So their idea is that he's injured because he should otherwise make that pass.

I think it's just age/schedule/usage catching up to him along with the game moving to more mobile/puck movement. It was the biggest knock on this trade. Weber is an old league Dman.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

The team could help by finally giving him load management. It was clear that he wouldn't hold up well with the condensed schedule heading into this final stretch. He is too proud to admit it or be happy about sitting a game but at this point the team needs to step in and do it. Markov used to sit games at the end of the season when the team locked up a playoff spot. Although we haven't clinched a spot, the fact Weber isn't playing that well at all warrants him sitting to rest.

After all, if we make the playoffs and he's not rested, then what is the point? We won't make it far at all if he plays the way he is so might as well take steps to help him because clearly he can't play his wat through his slump. To me this comes down to the team not putting their players in positions to succeed.

Reactions: Andy and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They brought it up on Antichambre after asking what's wrong with Weber. Even passes to a wide open man like Toffoli he has trouble making...So their idea is that he's injured because he should otherwise make that pass.

I think it's just age/schedule/usage catching up to him along with the game moving to more mobile/puck movement. It was the biggest knock on this trade. Weber is an old league Dman.
I don't know if i'd go that far because we've seen him play very well in the 'new era'.

There are just limitations in his game and the Habs seem stubborn with shoehorning him into roles/situations he's no longer ideal for.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know if i'd go that far because we've seen him play very well in the 'new era'.

There are just limitations in his game and the Habs seem stubborn with shoehorning him into roles/situations he's no longer ideal for.
I'm not so sure...he's been injured a whole lot, he's also had moments of struggles, but I supposed so.
Hopefully he really is just injured because if we need a legit #1D...we're screwed.

Aside from that, it should be clear to everyone now this leadership aura was just pure garbage.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
And at the other end of the spectrum...

When it's a young player, whose struggling...it's because they're inexperienced.
or in the case of Habs fans it's because the coaching staff is misusing/not developing him correctly. LOL.
Look at AG. He scored 30 here. YOu can argue Habs brought out the best in him.
I watched him all year here in the desert. He's a terrible hockey player. ZERO hockey I.Q.

Now with KK it's the same garbage. We'll see if the kid can develop into something with more time. Never going to be elite, hope he becomes a solid 2.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not so sure...he's been injured a whole lot, he's also had moments of struggles, but I supposed so.
Hopefully he really is just injured because if we need a legit #1D...we're screwed.

Aside from that, it should be clear to everyone now this leadership aura was just pure garbage.
Bad news my friend...we BEEN needing a legit #1D.

She's Weber hasn't been that for awhile now lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
or in the case of Habs fans it's because the coaching staff is misusing/not developing him correctly. LOL.
Look at AG. He scored 30 here. YOu can argue Habs brought out the best in him.
I watched him all year here in the desert. He's a terrible hockey player. ZERO hockey I.Q.

Now with KK it's the same garbage. We'll see if the kid can develop into something with more time. Never going to be elite, hope he becomes a solid 2.
To be fair...I haven't liked the way the Habs have brought Kotkaniemi along.

But he's still so young...we'll see.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Team's completely imploding.

In that case, injured or not, regressing or not, it’s the leadership’s job to rally the troops. Call a freaking closed door players meeting or something. Look each player’s , or in Weber’s case... stare, eyes and tell them to step up.

I mean, everyone is playing like crap so it’s sad the whole team is terrible the same time.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah I suppose it's just I recall the constant questioning of Pacioretty or Koivu's leadership and it doesn't feel like the coverage is consistent there.

Either way...I want/hope/expect him to find his game again.

But please...can we stop seeing Weber at the top of the umbrella on the PP?

That specific spot is usually reserved to the PP QB, he has to make passing/shooting decisions, manipulate the PK box, be quick enough to retreat when/of the puck is turned over.

It's poor evaluation of your own personnel to put him in that spot.
That's Jeff Petry. His shot is better than Weber's right now and he is the best we have in the other aspects of a pp that you mentioned.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's Jeff Petry. His shot is better than Weber's right now and he is the best we have in the other aspects of a pp that you mentioned.
Yeah on 1 unit...they need one for the 2nd unit.

Romanov had that role early in the year and I thought, because of his mobility and poise, he would have grown into that role.

But then the Habs remembered that Romanov is young and makes mistakes.

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad