Player Discussion Shea Weber -- Leader of the Ents Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
There's no reason Petry can't play both PP's. That's the coaches decision.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah on 1 unit...they need one for the 2nd unit.

Romanov had that role early in the year and I thought, because of his mobility and poise, he would have grown into that role.

But then the Habs remembered that Romanov is young and makes mistakes.
Yeah man, we need big changes with the way this team is run and in the way we manage our roster but it's unlikely.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah man, we need big changes with the way this team is run and in the way we manage our roster but it's unlikely.
I think some subtle tweaks could optimize the performance of this roster.

It's better than what they've shown, but I think the coaching staff doesn't help itself out.

Reactions: OldCraig71 and Andy

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

It's better than what they've shown, but I think the coaching staff doesn't help itself out.
What we have heard and seen from Weber in the last few days might be very telling. His nonchalance in two instances in Monday night's loss were a bit of a red flag for me. He was right there when McDavid hit Danault from behind and did nothing and he was also there when Chiasson ran through the crease and hit Price and again, he did nothing.

His comments to the media were also a red flag. As a captain in all three cases, I would expect to see and hear more from him. I know that he is in decline as a player but he is still captain and he should at least act as if he cares.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What we have heard and seen from Weber in the last few days might be very telling. His nonchalance in two instances in Monday night's loss were a bit of a red flag for me. He was right there when McDavid hit Danault from behind and did nothing and he was also there when Chiasson ran through the crease and hit Price and again, he did nothing.

His comments to the media were also a red flag. As a captain in all three cases, I would expect to see and hear more from him. I know that he is in decline as a player but he is still captain and he should at least act as if he cares.
McDavid barely hit Danault, it was a nothing play. Chaisson barely bumped Price and Weber crosschecked him. Again, a nothing play.

You're grasping at straws big-time

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
McDavid barely hit Danault, it was a nothing play. Chaisson barely bumped Price and Weber crosschecked him. Again, a nothing play.

It's pro hockey,one should expect contact and it's not necessary to have retribution for something so slight.

Reactions: Deebs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What's he supposed to do, jump over Andy to get to McDavid. Come on man lol
Well, there's always another shift on the ice. I didn't watch the game, did you see him respond in any way? He was quick to call hockey a team game when asked about his individual performance so I just think that it should go both ways.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What's he supposed to do, jump over Andy to get to McDavid. Come on man lol

are you kidding?

He saw the hit materializing, almost caught Danault, and then made absolutely no movement whatsoever in McD's direction... anderson arrives well after the initial impact.

the thought didn't even appear to cross his mind. Completely disconnected from any sense of sticking up for his teammate.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's pro hockey,one should expect contact and it's not necessary to have retribution for something so slight.

blindside hit on a teammate without the puck?

i mean, come on... I hate the fighting in hockey and think much of the post-whistle stuff is far overblown and could/should be well reigned in... and... hockey is a physical game that demands collective/team approach to sticking up for each other.

Heck, even Tatar at least gave McD a look... Weber turned his back and skated away. That's brutal no matter how you slice it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Gotta See It: Weber defends Crosby from Team USA's battering - Sportsnet.ca

there is a clip of Shea Weber disagreeing with your take... would seem that, at some point in his career, he felt it absolutely was his role and part of the game to stick up for his teammates, regardless of how minor/major the interactions were.

What we're seeing from him lately is a departure from how he's played the game previously.

Injured?
Tired?
Checked-Out?

who knows, but Weber is not playing the game the way he used to believe it needed to be played.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

I've been very negative about this team and I agree that I think it really needs some subtle tweaks.

The lack of a star forward and/or D man really shows.

For instance, I think a prime Markov would easily catapult this team. It would make Petry's minutes more manageable in terms of time and match ups and Markov could carry a pairing all by himself.

We also need to remember that much of the issue is that Suzuki and KK are still young centres. Hard to really do well when your centre depth is inexperienced. It's one thing to be inexperienced but be a star like Matthews or McDavid, but Suzuki/KK level talent inexperience is going to hurt you no matter what.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
blindside hit on a teammate without the puck?

i mean, come on... I hate the fighting in hockey and think much of the post-whistle stuff is far overblown and could/should be well reigned in... and... hockey is a physical game that demands collective/team approach to sticking up for each other.

Heck, even Tatar at least gave McD a look... Weber turned his back and skated away. That's brutal no matter how you slice it.

The hit on PD? wasn't much at all but maybe because I played a lot of hockey and just don't see it as something to get excited about.:dunno:
Something to be said about if you don't like something,do it yourself. Should not have to depend or rely on a teammate for everything.
Sure I'd defend and stick up for the little guys if I deemed something cheap or a mismatch but otherwise stand up for yourself.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gotta See It: Weber defends Crosby from Team USA's battering - Sportsnet.ca

there is a clip of Shea Weber disagreeing with your take... would seem that, at some point in his career, he felt it absolutely was his role and part of the game to stick up for his teammates, regardless of how minor/major the interactions were.

What we're seeing from him lately is a departure from how he's played the game previously.

Injured?
Tired?
Checked-Out?

who knows, but Weber is not playing the game the way he used to believe it needed to be played.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. We know that he has done it in the past.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've been very negative about this team and I agree that I think it really needs some subtle tweaks.

For instance, I think a prime Markov would easily catapult this team. It would make Petry's minutes more manageable in terms of time and match ups and Markov could carry a pairing all by himself.

We also need to remember that much of the issue is that Suzuki and KK are still young centres. Hard to really do well when your centre depth is inexperienced. It's one thing to be inexperienced but be a star like Matthews or McDavid, but Suzuki/KK level talent inexperience is going to hurt you no matter what.
We were really spoiled with Markov...I remember in his prime watching him and thinking.

Man the day he's gone, he'll be hard to even come close to replacing.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The hit on PD? wasn't much at all but maybe because I played a lot of hockey and just don't see it as something to get excited about.:dunno:
Something to be said about if you don't like something,do it yourself. Should not have to depend or rely on a teammate for everything.
Sure I'd defend and stick up for the little guys if I deemed something cheap or a mismatch but otherwise stand up for yourself.

so by the sounds of it, you haven't played hockey at anything close to that compeitive (and combative) level :dunno: (not meant as a critique, just seems like a very odd take for anyone who has played hockey, or any other contact sport, at a highly competitive level)

even in the euro leagues that have far less of the NHL physicality/fighting, that kind of hit would generate immediate response. As the video shows, both Tatar and Anderson took notice... and as my other reply showed, Shea Weber himself has previously applied a far different standard.

good teams never let anyone, even the tough guys, "do it themselves". The pack mentality, and how tightly a team adheres to it, is usually (if not always) a good indicator of how engaged and committed to each other a group is. No successful team gets by without that, and Weber knows this well.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

very clear, and unfortunately for us fans, incredibly predictable observations.

This team is who we thought it was... at least those not blinded by the volume of offseason moves/spending.

Weber's difficulty with the condensed schedule was also quite predictable, many were talking about it prior to the season... though i don't know if anyone thought it would be this pronounced, or that it would be accompanied by what appears to be mental/emotional disengagement.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
so by the sounds of it, you haven't played hockey at anything close to that compeitive (and combative) level :dunno: (not meant as a critique, just seems like a very odd take for anyone who has played hockey, or any other contact sport, at a highly competitive level)

even in the euro leagues that have far less of the NHL physicality/fighting, that kind of hit would generate immediate response. As the video shows, both Tatar and Anderson took notice... and as my other reply showed, Shea Weber himself has previously applied a far different standard.

good teams never let anyone, even the tough guys, "do it themselves". The pack mentality, and how tightly a team adheres to it, is usually (if not always) a good indicator of how engaged and committed to each other a group is. No successful team gets by without that, and Weber knows this well.

You assume incorrectly. Perhaps by today's standards their is less tolerance than when we played a very physical,brutal game, with a hell of a lot less protection. It was Mc David and PD,not Lucic and you know when to step in or not.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
very clear, and unfortunately for us fans, incredibly predictable observations.

This team is who we thought it was... at least those not blinded by the volume of offseason moves/spending.

Weber's difficulty with the condensed schedule was also quite predictable, many were talking about it prior to the season... though i don't know if anyone thought it would be this pronounced, or that it would be accompanied by what appears to be mental/emotional disengagement.
The team we've seen the last month?

I don't think so, they're better than that, than this.

Reactions: Andy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You assume incorrectly. Perhaps by today's standards their is less tolerance than when we played a very physical,brutal game, with a hell of a lot less protection. It was Mc David and PD,not Lucic and you know when to step in or not.

Palmieri ain't no lucic either... yet weber felt the need to step in. Not sure the game has changed significantly since 2016.

Also, anderson felt the need to step in, so :dunno:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Palmieri ain't no lucic either... yet weber felt the need to step in. Not sure the game has changed significantly since 2016.

Also, anderson felt the need to step in, so :dunno:

Come on man! you're cherry picking an infinite number of encounters throughout time of which there are countless skirmishes that no one could possible recall all of them. Just calling it as I see it,imo

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The team we've seen the last month?

I don't think so, they're better than that, than this.

i don't think so... but i pegged them for being in tough to finish 4th from day one.

That's the thing about a season, it grinds... adversity is predictable... young players being inconsistent is predicable... older players struggling with a condensed schedule and faltering as it wears on... predictable.

we needed far too many things to go perfectly well to be a playoff lock, or any better than where we are now.

with 3 inexperienced C's, an immobile Defense with an over-the-hill #1, and a continued lack of elite talent both up front and on defense, we were a mediocre roster from day 1 of the season. Average that could be a bit better if things went great and a bit worse if things went poorly.

if anything, we remain a bit ahead of where we were likely to be thanks to the far better than expected start... that level of play (where some were crowning MB as GM of the year and convinced we were definitely the cream of the division, if not one of the best in the league) was the most unpredictable part of this season.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I never though I'd find myself in total agreement with @417 <3

This team should be better than what it is with it's current personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad