Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
No doubt the return of Shea Weber was a game changer especially since the team was starting to run out of fuel by the start of December.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Pretty crazy stuff, and it's not like it was some small sample size. The whole way the team played shifted (which is interesting as well) but Weber was a massive part of it.

With Weber in the lineup, we control the play every game.

Crazy how many people rag on SW. He adds a dimension that not many teams have. Never know when he will blow up! like a time bomb,just waiting, and still blast it from the point. Habs also have CP that is possibly volatile and willing to give you something to consider when jamming the crease. Adding a bigger,meaner version of Benn can only be beneficial to to avoid going for the net and being belligerent.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think not getting to train so much in the offseason effected him. I'd be surprised if it happens to the extent it did last year again. He has his ups and downs but I feel confident that the lack of training was the primary reason in him being gassed.

I don't think so. His first season here he slowed down big time at the end too. I mean he was awarded the Norris at the end of November and was not remotely close to it at the end of the season. Unless CJ keep reducing his TOI like he did at the end of last season i think he'll slow down again in the 2nd half. He's not 20 anymore.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think so. His first season here he slowed down big time at the end too. I mean he was awarded the Norris at the end of November and was not remotely close to it at the end of the season. Unless CJ keep reducing his TOI like he did at the end of last season i think he'll slow down again in the 2nd half. He's not 20 anymore.

He did slow down a bit but then picked it back up. He was our 2nd best player in the playoffs next to Radulov that year. An inch away from being a playoff hero with that one shot that hit the post. Nothing like last year. Last year was worse. You can't have a guy who's getting older, not the fastest to begin with and top of all that not train for a whole offseason and think it would have no effect. He'll have his ups and downs as the season goes on but I doubt they'll be as bad.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He did slow down a bit but then picked it back up. He was our 2nd best player in the playoffs next to Radulov that year. An inch away from being a playoff hero with that one shot that hit the post. Nothing like last year. Last year was worse. You can't have a guy who's getting older, not the fastest to begin with and top of all that not train for a whole offseason and think it would have no effect. He'll have his ups and downs as the season goes on but I doubt they'll be as bad.

And he still managed to have a season of 52 pts and 20 goals ( I put it on 82 games)

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Pretty crazy stuff, and it's not like it was some small sample size. The whole way the team played shifted (which is interesting as well) but Weber was a massive part of it.

With Weber in the lineup, we control the play every game.

Weber and Mete are an amazing combo. It just works. Sad to see people rag on these two when they bring so much to the team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Weber and Mete are an amazing combo. It just works. Sad to see people rag on these two when they bring so much to the team.

It's all relative...

A top pairing NHL duo that features a player who has never scored an NHL goal falls somewhere below the "amazing" threshold imo

Hopefully, Mete takes another big step in his progression before Weber takes another big step backwards... Then we may indeed get 1-2 seasons where this duo can perform at a top tier first pairing level, and "amazing" might be a reasonable descriptor

Reactions: Holystik

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
It would be nice to make a Provorov deal happen, give Weber his first well-rounded LD partner since Suter left Nashville 7 years ago...

Reactions: cphabs

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Crazy how many people rag on SW. He adds a dimension that not many teams have. Never know when he will blow up! like a time bomb,just waiting, and still blast it from the point. Habs also have CP that is possibly volatile and willing to give you something to consider when jamming the crease. Adding a bigger,meaner version of Benn can only be beneficial to to avoid going for the net and being belligerent.

Adding a #1D will do that to any team lacking a #1.

Take a look at Jersey next season and you'll quite probably see the same effect.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No doubt the return of Shea Weber was a game changer especially since the team was starting to run out of fuel by the start of December.
It most definitely was a game changer. Without him we were using guys like Benn on the first pairing and it was an absolute disaster. Not surprising to see us improve dramatically (though I am surprised our possession numbers would go up as Weber's never really been great on the possession front.)

And nothing's changed on that front. If he or Petry go down we are toast. Ditto with Price going down. We are way too thin back there and need to do something to mitigate the risk.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
And nothing's changed on that front. If he or Petry go down we are toast. Ditto with Price going down. We are way too thin back there and need to do something to mitigate the risk.

I thought we performed admirably with our #1D out last year, about as well as any team should be expected to. I honestly don't know who would be worse to lose between Webs and Petry. Weber has a bigger role, and is a leader, but Petry is really the only guy we have in his mould.

If we lose Price for any significant length of time, we've got Kinkaid as our starter (I don't even think he's an NHL backup). Then you throw the towel in on the season.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It's all relative...

A top pairing NHL duo that features a player who has never scored an NHL goal falls somewhere below the "amazing" threshold imo

Hopefully, Mete takes another big step in his progression before Weber takes another big step backwards... Then we may indeed get 1-2 seasons where this duo can perform at a top tier first pairing level, and "amazing" might be a reasonable descriptor
Lol the Mete doesn't have a goal argument again. Classic. Funny seeing every single other metric pointing towards these two being a very good top pairing but people still cling on to this one little thing.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lol the Mete doesn't have a goal argument again. Classic. Funny seeing every single other metric pointing towards these two being a very good top pairing but people still cling on to this one little thing.

It's not an argument, it's a simple fact.
Mete has not scored at the NHL level... And last year he put up 13pts, while ending up on the top pairing of a non-playoff team.

I'd argue that these facts don't support the argument that they have not yet been an "amazing" top-pairing...

You think there are other facts that are more relevant? Why not make your argument using relevant facts rather than trying to discount facts that clearly call into question your conclusion?

And is it "very good" or "amazing"?

Also, while data can help with player evaluation, the underlying point is for the team to win hockey games.

How many amazing top pairings play for non- playoff teams in your estimation? (Or does every team get to claim their top pairing is amazing by default?)

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mete has not scored at the NHL level... And last year he put up 13pts, while ending up on the top pairing of a non-playoff team.

I'd argue that these facts don't support the argument that they have not yet been an "amazing" top-pairing...

You think there are other facts that are more relevant? Why not make your argument using relevant facts rather than trying to discount facts that clearly call into question your conclusion?

Also, while data can help with player evaluation, the underlying point is for the team to win hockey games.

How many amazing top pairings play for non- playoff teams in your estimation? (Or does every team get to claim their top pairing is amazing by default?)
Lol I don't even know where to start here. You need more than a good top pairing to make the playoffs. You really think Mete and Weber are the reason we didn't make the post season? Because all evidence shows that they turned a struggling team into one of the best possession teams in the league. But yeah, Mete doesn't have a goal so he clearly sucks

Look no further than Karlsson era send or last year's kings if you want evidence. I guess doughty and Karlsson are just not good enough. Maybe even look at all the years Calgary shot the bed with Giordano and Brodie.

It's a team sport as evidenced by the Oilers .

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lol I don't even know where to start here. You need more than a good top pairing to make the playoffs. You really think Mete and Weber are the reason we didn't make the post season? Because all evidence shows that they turned a struggling team into one of the best possession teams in the league. But yeah, Mete doesn't have a goal so he clearly sucks

Look no further than Karlsson era send or last year's kings if you want evidence. I guess doughty and Karlsson are just not good enough. Maybe even look at all the years Calgary shot the bed with Giordano and Brodie.

It's a team sport as evidenced by the Oilers .

Did anyone say Mete sucked?

Your entire post is an overreaction thst misses the entire point.

But worse, even the argument you're trying to make is incoherent...

Unless you forgot that we were talking about "top- pairings"

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

You’ve pointed out one fact: his lack of a goal; you haven’t written a phd thesis here bud. Mete’s value as a defenseman is clearly linked to other aspects of his play. Generally that involves actually watching him play.

Reactions: DangerDave

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You’ve pointed out one fact: his lack of a goal; you haven’t written a phd thesis here bud. Mete’s value as a defenseman is clearly linked to other aspects of his play. Generally that involves actually watching him play.

Yes, goal scoring, a pretty important facet of hockey some would argue.

You're right, no PhD thesis... Thankfully so, since even very simple posts and comments appear to be a serious challenge for you to read and understand.

Jul 6, 2016
Adding a #1D will do that to any team lacking a #1.

Take a look at Jersey next season and you'll quite probably see the same effect.

Is PK still a a #1 d-man ? He won't have Josi, Ellis and Ekholm to rely on anymore,

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

You're right, no PhD thesis... Thankfully so, since even very simple posts and comments appear to be a serious challenge for you to read and understand.

It's the only facet you're working from which, even for a simpleton like me, comes off as completely idiotic.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's the only facet you're working from which, even for a simpleton like me, comes off as completely idiotic.

No, it's just apparently the only part you've managed to (mis) understand.

Try reading it over a few more times, unfortunately I can't dumb it down any further... Sorry.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Does it matter who scored the goals? Habs simply outscore opponents when these two are on the ice. Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad