Player Discussion Shea Weber - Dear Dad Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So he is too slow for the game in February but killing it before that?

Weird.

I mean..it's called fatigue..?
They saw that in Nashville too, he would progressively worsen as the year went on and disappoint in the POs, hence all the decline talk.

I don't agree he was carried by Mete, but I never bought into the ''he's injured'' talk. Looked like fatigue to me.
Now, hopefully, it's just from having missed so much time over the past year and a half. But given his age, it's normal to see a regression, happens to all of them once they start getting around 35. Now it's about adapting his game and figuring how to conserve more energy throughout the season to not hit a wall later on.

Reactions: ArtPeur

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I mean..it's called fatigue..?
They saw that in Nashville too, he would progressively worsen as the year went on and disappoint in the POs, hence all the decline talk.

I don't agree he was carried by Mete, but I never bought into the ''he's injured'' talk. Looked like fatigue to me.
Now, hopefully, it's just from having missed so much time over the past year and a half. But given his age, it's normal to see a regression, happens to all of them once they start getting around 35. Now it's about adapting his game and figuring how to conserve more energy throughout the season to not hit a wall later on.

I was playing stupid given the mete argument.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not following Frank! I never thought Weber was injured, I saw a guy basically carry a d core and break down a bit late. He got beat, but thats only interesting cause he rarely gets beat.

I mean watch Doughty play 82 games, he will get walked in ten of them. This is how the game unfolds.
Oh it's just an reason ive seen to explain piss poor play from other elite defensemen around the league

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Weber looked fine to me.

I think some people are putting unfair expectations on him.

Weber is not a three-zone d-man that decides the pace of the game. He's an incredible defensive d-man with probably the best point shot/slap shot in the game.

He's not a set up man, he's not a puck carrier, and he is not an elite breakout guy. He's definitely a number 1 d man, but he's not he won't be able to carry a pairing by himself and it's unfair to expect him to do so with his skillset.

I also think it's unfair of the habs to expect him to be that guy too. I don't like the idea of just giving Weber anyone and hoping that Weber can cover for their learning and mishaps. He needs a seasoned and reliable partner - and yes that would still make him a number 1 d-man. Only the real top elite guys (of which there are very few) can carry a whole pairing by themselves.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Not following Frank! I never thought Weber was injured, I saw a guy basically carry a d core and break down a bit late. He got beat, but thats only interesting cause he rarely gets beat.

I mean watch Doughty play 82 games, he will get walked in ten of them. This is how the game unfolds.

He got beat by Jordan Staal. People here were using the "he has to be injured" because he was noticeably slower, and his shot was lacking and missing more than usual. Dont blame people for mentioning when many posters went on and on about how he had to be injured to excuse his lesser play. Ill wait for next year before worrying but the fact he wasnt injured didnt ease many people.

Reactions: ArtPeur

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Weber looked fine to me.

I think some people are putting unfair expectations on him.

Weber is not a three-zone d-man that decides the pace of the game. He's an incredible defensive d-man with probably the best point shot/slap shot in the game.

He's not a set up man, he's not a puck carrier, and he is not an elite breakout guy. He's definitely a number 1 d man, but he's not he won't be able to carry a pairing by himself and it's unfair to expect him to do so with his skillset.

I also think it's unfair of the habs to expect him to be that guy too. I don't like the idea of just giving Weber anyone and hoping that Weber can cover for their learning and mishaps. He needs a seasoned and reliable partner - and yes that would still make him a number 1 d-man. Only the real top elite guys (of which there are very few) can carry a whole pairing by themselves.

Agreed... Not sure if people remember Rick Green but he was a very good defensive d-man! But Weber is way better.

But you know... the league has been going with Scoring Ds for trophies... and most fans wants those.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Agreed... Not sure if people remember Rick Green but he was a very good defensive d-man! But Weber is way better.

But you know... the league has been going with Scoring Ds for trophies... and most fans wants those.
I'm not sure if its that fans want those or more so a debate on 1) what an elite d-man is 2) whether Weber is among them, and 3)whether its reasonable to hold Weber to that standard.

Some people speak of Weber as though he's a three-zone, ice-tilting gamebreaking defensemen. He's not.

Other's criticize Weber for not being that d-man, which is unfair.

The truth is, Weber is a great defensemen. He's a clear #1, but he isn't a gamebreaking all-star d-man (those are rare anyway).

The problem is that when he came on board, defenders of the trade tried heavily to portray Weber as this gamebreak, icetilting allstar who can "stare people into playing better". And now we're in this weird debate where people critical of the trade have held him to this standard. At the same time though, his defenders do have a hint of this conception of Weber in their defense of him.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Everybody know how much better we were this year and we're a young team. We should continue to improve. Everybody gonna learn from that experience we had this year and grow from it. We should only get better...”

“Yeah, it was good obviously a quick and turnaround to get ready for this season. Put it a lot of work. I felt pretty good.”

“To be honest, it's unfortunate that we aren't playing... It's tough we were so close... Especially 96 pts it's usually you expect to be in the PO. But for whatever reasons, the East was strong this year.”

“I'll got a lot of time to take care of myself and make sure I'm physically ready to go for the training camp next year. It's gonna be huge, I'll just be more comfortable. My training schedule and my preparation for this season from what I normally prepare it was quick turnaround from me. Especially, I've used to have more a lot time. I was forced to do it, so I still think that the training staff did a great job to helping me to be ready and get back as quick as possible... There's nothing than having a full off-season to get yourself prepare.”

“The 1st two games there's less rest and timing and everything is off... That's normally stuffs you're working in training camp. It was a little different situation. So it was weird in that aspect. But it's nice to be able to do it in the right way...”

“I think it's was a great group everyone knows how tight we were and how much fun we had this year. When you're doing right, you're playing right and being successfull... It brings everyone and guys enjoyed to go the rink and play hockey.”

“It was huge, you know you forget sometimes that a lot of guys have experience in the PO. So that would've been an another element that would've been nice for them to get into their belt. This situation through out especially this year, ups and downs and how close we were to make it.... Young guys will realize how tough it's and how it's difficult through out a whole season.”

“Mete: I though it was great, especially near the end just things get better and easier that I think that we were starting to get used to each others. Kinda know what he's doing before. Obviously a great kid and a great player... He'll just gonna keep better. He wants to learn and to become a better player. I think he'll just keep improving.”

“Any cases comparing to last year kinda be easier... Guys always want to be somewhere the team is close to winning. This make makes a little bit easier than the season before.”

“I don't think it was difficult, guys here a great group. What was difficult was I wasn't around for the first twenty something games all the time... You try to involve yourself as much as you can. Tryna to get things going on the right direction. But the group, the core of guys really did a great job and maintaining everything during this season... Like I said, it was tough to not go to the training camp with the guys. When you're hurt it's not the same training camp.”

“We had the right attitude. We had expectations of ourselves even that others people didn't... That's was the start we needed, things got a roll for there. Guys realized how much fun we having and much more enjoyable it was to play. Doing the right way to reach others and winning hockey games that's the most important...”

“I mean, tight a little better in certain points defensively, especially to shut things down when it's needed in certain situations. Our offensive games was huge rise this year.”

“PP: Scoring more goals obviously, I thought things were better at the end. Hopefully, having more time to worked it up with everybody in the start of the season. Get things going, there's some positive things that I appreciated at the end. We moved the puck well, getting the entry and the set up. It was a big difference...”

“It's exciting that for especially everyone in this locker room to see those guys contributing the way they did. To know that young players are impact players, ready to help out...”

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
He will bring back a good return. We are not winning with Weber.

We are not winning with Weber.... Have you seen the stats before and after he came back?? Don't you see the impact such a player would have on the young core that we have growing? When PK Subban, that people still yell he was only one year away from a Norris nomination, only got 2 seconds and a bag of AHL pucks in return, what do you expect to get from Weber exactly that will make our team suddenly "winning"?

Better to keep him.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We are not winning with Weber.... Have you seen the stats before and after he came back?? Don't you see the impact such a player would have on the young core that we have growing? When PK Subban, that people still yell he was only one year away from a Norris nomination, only got 2 seconds and a bag of AHL pucks in return, what do you expect to get from Weber exactly that will make our team suddenly "winning"?

Better to keep him.
Better to move on. Let the new young core grow together and develop as solid NHL veterans for the next few years drafts. We need to stop holding on to 33 years old veteran slowing down.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Better to move on. Let the new young core grow together and develop as solid NHL veterans for the next few years drafts. We need to stop holding on to 33 years old veteran slowing down.

I remember very well the impact of vets such as Gainey, Robinson, etc on our young Lemieux, Svoboda, Chelios, Richer, Carbonneau and a few others, and I strongly believe a young core needs 2 or 3 guys like Weber and Price to be successful. But we can agree to disagree.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Let's hope he doesn't get gassed so quickly again, because he looked really bad at the end of the season despite starting later.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I really hope Juulsen has a strong start to the year & stays healthy...

If CJ & co. can keep Weber's minutes closer to 20 through the first 1/2-3/4 of the year, that's the best chance at seeing him give us quality top pairing minutes all year.

If he has to play 22+ min, hard to not see him hit the wall and be struggling in the back half of the year when the top teams are starting to crank it up & we need him most...

Also, I wonder how/if being left off the NHL network list of top Dmen (top 25!) will affect him... Does it fire him up to prove talk of his decline is premature? Does he ignore it completely? Does it sow seeds of doubt that show up as forcing the play? Thriving as an athlete as the physical faculties start to regress is 100% mental game, will be interesting to see how he adapts.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Let's hope he doesn't get gassed so quickly again, because he looked really bad at the end of the season despite starting later.

I think not getting to train so much in the offseason effected him. I'd be surprised if it happens to the extent it did last year again. He has his ups and downs but I feel confident that the lack of training was the primary reason in him being gassed.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Same as price, Weber needs to go.
What could be the possible destinations and return for Shea.

As long as MB is GM, Weber is going nowhere imho. Rightly or wrongly, MB coveted man-mountain & I think he considers it one of his best moves. I think he will retire a hab, assuming MB is here for the long haul, which seems to be Molson's plan.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
I think not getting to train so much in the offseason effected him. I'd be surprised if it happens to the extent it did last year again. He has his ups and downs but I feel confident that the lack of training was the primary reason in him being gassed.

Agree. He was running on Mad-Adrenaline to start the year too - playing big, tough minutes - so i think it hit him doubly hard as the season went on.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

Pretty crazy stuff, and it's not like it was some small sample size. The whole way the team played shifted (which is interesting as well) but Weber was a massive part of it.

With Weber in the lineup, we control the play every game.

This is the reason why i won't be surprised at all if we make the playoffs , because last season he arrived in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad