Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere Signs Multi-Year Extension (Six Years $4.5M Per)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some guys are durable, Provocop even get dinged after 80 games?

Smaller guys are at risk as they age, because they start getting hit where their younger version avoided contact - and a problem for shorter guys is their face sometimes runs into elbows and shoulders, both deliberate and inadverent, simply because big guys arms are at small guys head level.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Without reading pages 3-now is anyone not happy with this? Rarely am I happy with both term and cap hit, but this seems like a good flyers deal.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Anyone else think hextall takes his goalie stick into contract negotiations?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Came home from work to this great news.

So many good things over the last couple months - Knoblauch, Lindblom signing, Vecchione for free and the best one - winning pick #2. Great time to be a fan.

Everything going right! All of that stuff is thanks to Hextall except the #2. We are in great hands. The key will be to keep things going after we win a cup or two.

Fantastic signing. Could look like a steal as early as this season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Capfriendly has the full contract details confirmed now (salary bonuses included).

https://capfriendly.com/players/shayne-gostisbehere

2020-2021 is the inventible lockout year so with no salary bonus there he won't get paid that year if it shuts down.

Hextall went out of his way to increase the. Ghost may only be averaging $4.5m a year, but the real value is higher.

Unlike, say, Couturier whose deal is slightly backloaded and has no signing bonuses.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I don't like the whole signing bonus thing. I'm a true believer in that your cap hit and actual money should be the same and average of total dollers over term.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm very happy with the contract, and less happy that it gives misguided people (talking mostly about the main board rather than us) the opportunity to **** on his defensive abilities, which are nowhere near as bad as you would think from reading certain posts.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I don't like the whole signing bonus thing. I'm a true believer in that your cap hit and actual money should be the same and average of total dollers over term.

Yep signing bonus gives advantage to rich teams, cue Weber's offersheet and then under right circumstances they benefit by eventually retaining the salary without actual cap hit. That's how Leafs got rid of Bernier eventually. On the other hand it makes for painful buyouts to at least balance it out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's an advantage but it's not some giant one like it used to be. The max term limit prevents teams from unbalancing the contract as much as they used to. Even on the backend (if a team front loads a contract) there's millions left on it.

As to where it used to be guys would be getting paid $10M in the early years then making under $1M on the backend years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you trade a front loaded contract, the AVV goes with the contract but the actual cash flow is just the remaining contract money, right?
So that makes a player more valuable to cash tight franchises.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This contract got me like...

giphy.gif

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Not everyone likes long term contracts, hence maybe some of the reaction on the main board. Not that I really give a **** what they think anyway.
it was either going to be a bridge deal, or this. There probably would of been more risk in the bridge deal. 6 years is as about as long as I would of gone. so that is good. the AAV is perfect.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They basically pay Ghost for what he is now the next 6 years. If he gets any better, it's a steal. If he regresses or the other young D leapfrog him on the depth chart, it's a very tradeable front loaded contract.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Last edited:

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
If you trade a front loaded contract, the AVV goes with the contract but the actual cash flow is just the remaining contract money, right?
So that makes a player more valuable to cash tight franchises.

Correct. AAV is just total money excluding performance bonuses spread over the number of contract years, real salary payments aside. Frontloading a contact is more regulated than it used to be as teams would use it as a form of cap circumvention to saave a butt load of cap space. You can no longer vary real salary more than 35% in any adjacent contract year and can't vary more than 50% from highest to lowest paid contract year.Which makes the practice more difficult. Recall Kovy's contract with NJ that would have paid him just 3.5 million over the last 6 years and saved NJ about 3.5 million on AAV. it was essentially an 11 year contract spread over 17 years.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I would have tried to get 8 years. Might have had to go up to 4.75 or 5. I want dynamic talent long term! Happy with the deal, however!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
God forbid Flyers fans are honest with their own franchises stupidity. You have been doing those early sign contracts to young players for years and they have been a total train wreck. If the Flyers had any brains which they don't. The only player on their roster they should ever do that with is Provorov because he's a rare talent. Rangers almost never pay young players a lot before they have to. If anything they do bridge deals constantly which is what you are supposed to do. Only time I remember the Rangers doing that in recent memory was with McDonagh coming off a huge second year and a monster playoffs. Also a player way better than Gostisbehere.

Rangers biggest fault other than trading picks away are all the idiotic NTC and NMC they give out when there is no need to give out any. Unless a player is a rare talent which Gostisbehere is not close to being, you don't ever pay a young player under control way more than you have and way before you have to. It's dumb.

:laugh:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
some of the stuff i've been reading on the main boards recently is scaring me. are fans getting dumber? it's getting really bad.

Fans aren't getting dumber. Dumb fans are just louder because of easier access to forums. I know because I'm dumb and I frequent this board to counter-balance all the smartness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad