Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere Signs Multi-Year Extension (Six Years $4.5M Per)

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Voracek - 8 years
Couturier - 6 years
Schenn - 4 years
Weise - 4 years
Gudas - 4 years

Hextall doesn't shy away from long term contracts.

I said I didn't think he would go past 4 years so Schenn, Weise, and Gudas are not who I was talking about.

Either way it looks like I was wrong and it's 6 years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Las Vegas could have signed Gostisbehere to an offer during the 48 hour window, counting as their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft, so I suppose Panaccio isn't totally wrong. EDIT: or am I wrong too? Not sure if the window is before or after the draft.... ok I'm wrong never mind.

That's only if Philly didn't protect him as one of the 3 dmen.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Great contract. Even if he just stays at his current level there is a bit of bargain there. If he flops/flames out it wouldn't be that hard to find someone to take that contract with a sweetener.

Even if you aren't sold on his future here this is still the best possible outcome. He's now locked in long term on a cost controlled contract. That has value in itself when discussing trades. As you said I'm pretty confident he'll do enough on the ice for this contract to remain valuable.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Even if you aren't sold on his future here this is still the best possible outcome. He's now locked in long term on a cost controlled contract. That has value in itself when discussing trades. As you said I'm pretty confident he'll do enough on the ice for this contract to remain valuable.

Totally agree. He was dreadful defensively so many times last season but this deal is still very good.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Yep. I was expecting something approaching this AAV for 2. 3 UFA years is just phenomenal.

Even if he somehow falls apart, that's an eminently movable deal for the offense he provides.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The way I see it, there's absolutely zero chance he will ever (during this deal) have less value on the ice than AMac and he's making less than him so even if he fails to further develop they just have a slightly overpaid 5th defenseman who will always be dangerous on the PP.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
tenor.gif

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Already on Cap Friendly. (Speeds up making Armchair GM teams).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Like I said on the main board thread, he's going to be even better once he's not stuck with MacDonald/Manning/MDZ/Streit. He should never be the better defensive player on the pairing, and yet at times he was. Give him a real partner and this will look like an even better contract.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That's nice work by Hextall. I thought he would get at least 5 million and that would be on a shorter term deal along the lines of 2 or 3 years. I have some concerns about Ghost but the thing is even if he doesn't get any better, 4.5 million isn't a bad price for a mobile 40 point defenseman.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Like I said on the main board thread, he's going to be even better once he's not stuck with MacDonald/Manning/MDZ/Streit. He should never be the better defensive player on the pairing, and yet at times he was. Give him a real partner and this will look like an even better contract.

It's going to be quite a site to see Morin hit Ghost with the stretch pass and watch him do his magic. Great signing by the Flyers. I was hoping for a bridge deal, but can't complain on a $4.5 million per year salary. Now if they can find a way to offload the MacDonald contract........

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

I would be interested in a candid interview/question to hear how his upcoming contract possibly effected his play. Ghost seems to play his best when he's fully confident in things and after the ACL and hernia I'm sure he had a lot on his mind about how things could play out $ wise. At this point he's basically set for life if he doesn't majorly screw up his money situation. This could be something that helps him settle into him playing "his game" and not worrying about distractions.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00