Dreger: Shattenkirk price as rental

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
It's turned into a Rangers vs Leafs fight and neither one wants Shattenkirk at the reported asking price so... good thread guys.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
It's turned into a Rangers vs Leafs fight and neither one wants Shattenkirk at the reported asking price so... good thread guys.

Some of us would do 1st+prospect....just depends on how our management feels about resigning him. If they talk to him and feel they can get him signed, i'm good with it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
What I have learned from this thread:

Shattenkirk is worth much less than a standard rental deadline package for comparable players historically. Because....reasons?

The Leafs and Rangers would be a fun series to watch.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL

Shattenkirk is worth much less than a standard rental deadline package for comparable players historically. Because....reasons?

I am going to start watching these games too!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

As I've said previously in this thread, if all he costs was a 1st and a prospect, I'd love it from the Leafs but the issue is what happens next year.
I really really really don't want to pay him 7 mill and I also don't want to spend a 1st and a prospect for rental for a playoff run when the core age of our team is like what, 22 or 23?
If he really did want to be a Leafs (and not just because they paid him the most) and would take 6 mil per, then I'd be 100% on board to get him

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
As I've said previously in this thread, if all he costs was a 1st and a prospect, I'd love it from the Leafs but the issue is what happens next year.
I really really really don't want to pay him 7 mill and I also don't want to spend a 1st and a prospect for rental for a playoff run when the core age of our team is like what, 22 or 23?
If he really did want to be a Leafs (and not just because they paid him the most) and would take 6 mil per, then I'd be 100% on board to get him

The Blues are allowing other teams to talk to Shattenkirk. I don't understand why a team (if they haven't already) just approach him and say "6m x 5, whaddaya say?" and if he says yes, you talk to Army and say "Whatcha need?" and make it happen?

This doesn't sound as complicated as people make it out to be, unless I'm missing something. Army knows if a team COULD sign Shattenkirk then and there for the price of whatever Army wants, then why not just... do that?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The Blues are allowing other teams to talk to Shattenkirk. I don't understand why a team (if they haven't already) just approach him and say "6m x 5, whaddaya say?" and if he says yes, you talk to Army and say "Whatcha need?" and make it happen?

This doesn't sound as complicated as people make it out to be, unless I'm missing something. Army knows if a team COULD sign Shattenkirk then and there for the price of whatever Army wants, then why not just... do that?

He's already indicated he is open to re-signing in Toronto. I would be shocked if whatever team trades for him doesn't have the framework for a contract already agreed to verbally. Its up to them to not screw it up or make him feel unwelcome after that.

I think a team that approaches it that way is likely to outbid a team that views him as a pure rental. Maybe its an offer that includes a conditional pick in that case, to protect both parties of the trade. Thank goodness we only have to deal with this stuff for 2 more weeks.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

It would be fun to watch Shattenkirk sign a long term deal with Toronto and their fans sticking it to those who said he would inevitably end up as a Ranger in the off season. Toronto fans seem to have long and vengeful memories :laugh:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is really the bottom line on Shatty. You can't name me 30 RHD that are better then he is, nor can you name me 60 dmen that are better. So, by definition he is top pairing.

He would be the leading scorer on some teams in the NHL this season (39 points in 57 games - 2nd on the Blues and out scoring guys like Duchene - who is forward.).

There is a very limited UFA class this summer - with only one difference making player - Shatty. And little to nothing available for D as a rental. Best rental player available by quite a bit.

He is the best Dman to reach UFA in a long time. Blues wouldn't even consider trading him if he wasn't a RHD - where they are stacked.

7 million is right on what most UFA top pairing guys are going to get paid. No one will be able to sign a top pairing guy for less then 7 going forward.... so...

Man, if you can add a player like him, your PP dramatically jumps and your overall depth at D will jump significantly also. Teams looking to get past the first round and make a run, you pay a 1st and top prospect and you don't think twice. He can make a difference on a contender.

Bubble team, yeah, I completely get it - may not be worth the add. But contender, you make a move for him.

Finally the chances of getting a top pairing guy are limited. So you will either develop internally (most prospects never hit their fan projected peak - so developing becomes very very difficult) or you make a trade that hurts bit. Getting him as a rental price, you don't bat an eye at because you will have a major advantage to other teams wanting his services this offseason and all things being equal - he will likely go with the locker room he knows and team mates he like and is comfortable in vs. bouncing to someplace unfamiliar.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
I like a lot of the :rangers younger guys too though. Miller/Hayes are going to produce more than they already have this year, and hopefully ZIB/Vessey live up to their potential. If that occurs the Rangers will be a very strong team for a long time, i just dont know your goalie situation after Lundy goes. What is your backup youth situation like?

P.S. if you do detect and bias here, its because I'm still mad the :blues didn't get Grabner :nod:

Rangers have one of best goalie prospects. Shestyorkin. Plays in KHL for SKA

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If there was no ED draft then it would be an easier decision to move on a Dman such as Shattenkirk, but the ED kills most chances to sign him while under team control, as most contending teams already have don't have a spot open to protect him.

Shattenkirk is a really good choice for a team that needs some offense from their back end and to spruce up their PP. If they are looking for a shutdown defensive stalwart they are looking in the wrong place.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
If there was no ED draft then it would be an easier decision to move on a Dman such as Shattenkirk, but the ED kills most chances to sign him while under team control, as most contending teams already have don't have a spot open to protect him.

Shattenkirk is a really good choice for a team that needs some offense from their back end and to spruce up their PP. If they are looking for a shutdown defensive stalwart they are looking in the wrong place.

Darn erectile dysfunction driving down the price of Shattenkirk!

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Yet for some reason I can't recall a top 6 F/top 4 D signing there

The situation in Toronto is a lot more attractive now than it has been in years. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Babcock, Shanahan, Lou, etc.

As a non-fan, that's a team that looks like it's going to be a legit contender very soon.

Doug The Thug Glatt

Dec 31, 2016
Toronto
You are allowed to make trades before the ED.....

Just throwing that out there, some ppl seem to think you cant trade for guys that will need protection because of that. Add the player, make a Cup run and then make a deal pre-draft so you can protect the acquired player.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
You are allowed to make trades before the ED.....

Just throwing that out there, some ppl seem to think you cant trade for guys that will need protection because of that. Add the player, make a Cup run and then make a deal pre-draft so you can protect the acquired player.

I suspect there will be quite a few moves in the days leading up to the expansion draft. It'll be like a minor trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad