Dreger: Shattenkirk price as rental

Mad Brills*

Extended shatty for 1st, bozak and (X) is the deal that I think blues fans could handle right?

Bozak replaces berglund next year.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Extended shatty for 1st, bozak and (X) is the deal that I think blues fans could handle right?

I would think that top 6 center they would want for a extended Shattenkirk would have to be signed for longer then Bozak who is UFA after next season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Extended Shattenkirk is Nylander Territory.

For what he is right now I'd want Bozak/Kapanen+1st+conditional 1st if he extends.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Extended Shattenkirk is Nylander Territory.

For what he is right now I'd want Bozak/Kapanen+1st+conditional 1st if he extends.

as a leafs fan i agree thats what it would be the only way you get shatty for a 1st + a lower prospect or a bozak like player , is for un extended

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Ok, but let's take off the rose colored glasses and look at the negatives.

High Tax Rate - check
Incomparable media scrutiny - check
Being paid in USD and having bills in CAD can mean fluctuations in currency can have a huge impact on take home pay (positive and negative. The key here is uncertainty) - check

That's a fair point.

There will be pros and cons anywhere. But I believe in Toronto, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Shattenkirk only makes sense to a team that is reelistically in the hunt for a Cup, and needs a PP QB/Offenseman. So, a late first, and a decent, but not great prospect, and maybe an expiring contract going the other way for financial purposes. If you ask STL to retain it will cost you a better, or another, prospect.

Seems right. From the Rangers, maybe Vesey and their 1st, which is likely to be very late? Seems like a lot, but Shattenkirk could be the guy that puts them over the top, and I would guess that it is also a place that he might re-sign?

Has the recent win streak in STL caused some confusion as to whether they should be buyers, sellers, or standpatters at the TDL?

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Rumor from the Rangers board is that the Rangers are only offering a 3rd + prospects

Shattenkirk only makes sense to a team that is reelistically in the hunt for a Cup, and needs a PP QB/Offenseman. So, a late first, and a decent, but not great prospect, and maybe an expiring contract going the other way for financial purposes. If you ask STL to retain it will cost you a better, or another, prospect.

Seems right. From the Rangers, maybe Vesey and their 1st, which is likely to be very late? Seems like a lot, but Shattenkirk could be the guy that puts them over the top, and I would guess that it is also a place that he might re-sign?

Has the recent win streak in STL caused some confusion as to whether they should be buyers, sellers, or standpatters at the TDL?

Don't quit your day job - woof.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I'm confused about this extended Shattenkirk talk. He has stated he is going to test Free Agency, and when has a team ever extended guy and trade him? Teams are trading for a rental before an expansion draft. The price will go down.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Rangers can want Shatty all they want. And Shatty has NY roots, but guess what...

He's also never won anything of significance in the NHL and if he's signing a 5-7 year deal with a team, with the hopes of being part of something special, it's the Leafs ALL THE WAY.

The Rangers have an aging Lundqvist. A good, but not great coach. An aging "star" in Nash. A stud defenseman in McDonagh and some good (not star) forwards. Once Lundqvist is finished, the Rangers suddenly become an extremely average team while the Leafs are ready to skyrocket into an explosive machine.

What horse do you really wish to hitch your wagon to for the remainder of your career? If your goal is to win?

That's why I quoted it. He has the "name" but has been a shell for a bit. Without Lundqvist, the Rangers are as vanilla as it gets. If I'm Shattenkirk, I drool over the chance to play with Matthews and be a part of the Leafs for the next 6 years. Then I take the 70 minute flight home to NY to see my family in the summer.

Looks at posts. Looks at standings. Looks at posts one more time. :shakehead

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I don't get why Dredger called a first and a prospect an "incredibly high" price. A prospect and a late first in a draft year everyone calls weak... that seems about par for the course.

There are a lot of factors as to why it's considered a high price. A) Expansion draft, just another body to figure out how you're going to protect players in the draft. B) will he actually re-sign with the team? It seems no one is that interested in the idea of a Shattenkirk rental, and are looking towards the long term, why give up sizable assets for 2 months of hockey? C) doesn't want to go west. That immediately gets rid of half the NHL as a market.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rumor from the Rangers board is that the Rangers are only offering a 3rd + prospects

Don't quit your day job - woof.

A 3rd? :shakehead

Look if NYR thinks they can't compete for a Cup with Shattenkirk in the lineup, then don't do the trade at all. I have my doubts, but the underrating of NYR has got to stop- and I am not a Rangers fan.

A late 1st in this draft is just not that big of a deal.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

Look if NYR thinks they can't compete for a Cup with Shattenkirk in the lineup, then don't do the trade at all. I have my doubts, but the underrating of NYR has got to stop- and I am not a Rangers fan.

That's what's been said. I think the Rangers like most teams would rather just wait until FA, Shattenkirk would be such an annoying twist for the expansion draft considering they have to protect Dan Girardi and Marc Staal. Why give up assets for him now?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Looks at posts. Looks at standings. Looks at posts one more time. :shakehead

Are you looking at the long-term trajectory of the Leafs and Rangers? Shattenkirk could be signing a deal for the remainder of his career. Over the next 6 years, would you rather be part of the Rangers or Leafs? Easy choice.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

A late 1st in this draft is just not that big of a deal.

Not that big of a deal, but for NYR that would be 5 straight years of no 1st rounder

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Are you looking at the long-term trajectory of the Leafs and Rangers? Shattenkirk could be signing a deal for the remainder of his career. Over the next 6 years, would you rather be part of the Rangers or Leafs? Easy choice.

Easy choice? LOL!

Look at the average age of the Rangers, and then look again at just how good they actually are.

holy underrating of the BEST eastern conference team since AV joined.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I love how people think the ask is high, that's the typical ask for high end rentals. Someone will pay it. Just like Ladd went for 1st+Dano.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yeah, look at that winning tradition in Toronto. :help:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
There are a lot of factors as to why it's considered a high price. A) Expansion draft, just another body to figure out how you're going to protect players in the draft. B) will he actually re-sign with the team? It seems no one is that interested in the idea of a Shattenkirk rental, and are looking towards the long term, why give up sizable assets for 2 months of hockey? C) doesn't want to go west. That immediately gets rid of half the NHL as a market.

The bolded has been proven false by numerous reports.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yeah, look at that winning tradition in Toronto. :help:

Understand trajectory?

The Leafs aren't even my favorite team and I'm here defending them :laugh:

As an organization, it's been decades since they've been on the cusp of becoming a serious contender for years. They have an elite coach, manager, visionary, and incredible nucleus of young talent. Only a Leafs hater would deny that they could soon be a legit contender for many years to come.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Understand trajectory?

The Leafs aren't even my favorite team and I'm here defending them :laugh:

As an organization, it's been decades since they've been on the cusp of becoming a serious contender for years. They have an elite coach, manager, visionary, and incredible nucleus of young talent. Only a Leafs hater would deny that they could soon be a legit contender for many years to come.

Exactly, the Leafs window is now open IMO.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not that big of a deal, but for NYR that would be 5 straight years of no 1st rounder

Yeah, but let's assume that Shattenkirk improves your team so you're picking around 25-28. At that point, the player you are picking is unlikely to be much of an NHL'er, ever, and even if he does turn out to be something, will probably take 4-5 years before he can begin to contribute in any meaningful way. Is that such a big loss, vs. the sure thing of Shattenkirk filling a position of need?

I know you guys are gunshy because of some previous deals( though Duclair is not such a loss after all, is he?), but offering a 3rd to STL is basically saying we aren't interested.

If the NYR don't think they can compete for a Cup with Shattenkirk in the lineup, then fine, don't do the deal, but let's not pretend that a late 2017 1st and a prospect (or Vesey) is some huge haul for STL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad