GDT: Sharks vs. Panthers 7:30pm The Return of Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
While it's a funny gesture in probably any other case of a trade-and-trade like Hoffman's "time" with the Sharks. In this instance it's not funny. He was jettisoned from Ottawa under pretty awful circumstances. Making light of that makes me queasy. Especially considering the news EK9 shared yesterday.

I'm not saying Hoffman deserves "boos", but it pains me to see fans using that trade, and the gravity that surrounded it, for humor. Even if the Sharks never acquired Karlsson and this sign was hanging I'd feel uneasy about: celebrating/mocking/making light of/whatever you want to call it, that trade because that trade was born out of some pretty awful events.

Pretty sure you’re reading WAY more into it than any of the players were/are.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
While it's a funny gesture in probably any other case of a trade-and-trade like Hoffman's "time" with the Sharks. In this instance it's not funny. He was jettisoned from Ottawa under pretty awful circumstances. Making light of that makes me queasy. Especially considering the news EK9 shared yesterday.

I'm not saying Hoffman deserves "boos", but it pains me to see fans using that trade, and the gravity that surrounded it, for humor. Even if the Sharks never acquired Karlsson and this sign was hanging I'd feel uneasy about: celebrating/mocking/making light of/whatever you want to call it, that trade because that trade was born out of some pretty awful events.

As far as I know Hoffman was cleared of all charges though was he not? I mean, I don't know Karlsson's feelings on the topic, but that could be seen as much as making fun of Hoffman as it is anything else. It's basically trolling. If I was Karlsson, I wouldn't be offended.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As far as I know Hoffman was cleared of all charges though was he not? I mean, I don't know Karlsson's feelings on the topic, but that could be seen as much as making fun of Hoffman as it is anything else. It's basically trolling. If I was Karlsson, I wouldn't be offended.

I don't think a fan's banner is going to even draw a blip on their radars but if it did I can't see them going down that rabbit hole. I understand the whole Hoffman-Karlsson situation but a fan making fun of Hoffman's three hour stay in San Jose is probably not going to be seen with anything but a small chuckle. I don't think they're going to take something like that to heart when if there's issues with Hoffman, it's with Hoffman not with a banner of him.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Because they aren't very good. They have easily a bottom 3-5 GM in the league. Just look at what he did with the expansion draft for Vegas and I ain't even blaming him for the Gallant episode because that wasn't his call, but the organization has A LOT to do with why Vegas is super annoying right now. They're to blame for that.

The last two years they always go on a run during garbage team. The goofy bastards almost came back to make the playoffs last year, only to miss by one point. This year they're racking up a lot of OT losses and points in garbage time and some wins, but they aren't that good.

They definitely have some nice pieces, but I think their owners suck and I think their GM sucks. If they had a better goalie (Luongo is ancient and Reimer is TRASH as a starter) they'd probably be a bubble team though. They're not a terrible team, but they aren't a team I predicted to be a playoff team the last two years. I did predict them to make the playoffs in 2016 when they actually did make them and the next year, but they fired Gallant and FUBAR'd the whole thing shortly after that.

Not very good? Goaltending is the main reason why we are not top 3 in the division right now.

We have a great forward core with alot of talent on the way and hopefully a future 1 in monty.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

Hoffman wasn't charged with anything it was his girlfriend (who is still with him). I could be wrong but I don't think its completely over legally yet.

As for the game itself it sucks to give up 2 points to these guys but giving the recent winning streak the Sharks probably deserve a break assuming they bring their A game against Vegas.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not very good? Goaltending is the main reason why we are not top 3 in the division right now.

We have a great forward core with alot of talent on the way and hopefully a future 1 in monty.

You mean in a wild card spot? Even with elite goaltending toronto, boston, tampa are much better teams from every other position on a roster then florida is.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Would you mind explaining your reasoning for this opinion? I’m curious.

Erik Karlsson sued Mike Hoffman and Hoffman’s wife for launching a cyber bullying campaign against Karlsson and his wife that specifically targeted their lost child. Hoffman was never found guilty of anything and I have no idea whether or not Hoffman actually did it but it’s incredibly disrespectful and I could see it being triggering to Karlsson. I’m not saying it’s a big deal or it will prevent Karlsson from signing, or even that that’s why I’m mad about it, but it’s just stupid.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
You mean in a wild card spot? Even with elite goaltending toronto, boston, tampa are much better teams from every other position on a roster then florida is.

We can match up with Boston and even Torontos roster wise with the top 6. D is probably where we lack while Boston have some solid defensemen.

Tampa is a different story but they are also the best team in the league right now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Erik Karlsson sued Mike Hoffman and Hoffman’s wife for launching a cyber bullying campaign against Karlsson and his wife that specifically targeted their lost child. Hoffman was never found guilty of anything and I have no idea whether or not Hoffman actually did it but it’s incredibly disrespectful and I could see it being triggering to Karlsson. I’m not saying it’s a big deal or it will prevent Karlsson from signing, or even that that’s why I’m mad about it, but it’s just stupid.

Well I agree it's stupid but I think it's harmless stupidity. Just a fan making fun of Hoffman being here for three hours.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Pretty sure you’re reading WAY more into it than any of the players were/are.

Maybe. However I’m not worried about what the players feelings were/are regarding it. It offends me personally. My sister has lost two in utero in the last 5 years so perhaps I’m a bit more sensitive to this sort of thing than some.

The guy was a Shark for a few hours because his employer thought he/those he surrounds himself with did something shitty enough to want nothing to do with him anymore.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe. However I’m not worried about what the players feelings were/are regarding it. It offends me personally. My sister has lost two in utero in the last 5 years so perhaps I’m a bit more sensitive to this sort of thing than some.

The guy was a Shark for a few hours because his employer thought he/those he surrounds himself with did something ****ty enough to want nothing to do with him anymore.

I can understand the sensitivity to it but I would just say to make sure that the emotions are directed where it belongs. Dislike Hoffman to whatever extent works for you but the banner is just a fan having a little fun and nothing more.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I sorta wonder the mindset in the locker going into these games. Like, of course they want to win and keep their streak going - of course. But at the same time they all know what lies ahead in the playoffs and one has to think they have games where they collectively just go to 80%. Like a try-hard pickup game. This is what, 5 games in 8 days? Non playoff team? Just seems like staying healthy is far more important than the points, despite how much we want to win the division.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I sorta wonder the mindset in the locker going into these games. Like, of course they want to win and keep their streak going - of course. But at the same time they all know what lies ahead in the playoffs and one has to think they have games where they collectively just go to 80%. Like a try-hard pickup game. This is what, 5 games in 8 days? Non playoff team? Just seems like staying healthy is far more important than the points, despite how much we want to win the division.

I figure they just approach it like most games where they just want to go out there and play their game and go from there. Some nights it just doesn't work out. I don't think they actively try to come into it with less. It just sort of happens after such a scheduling setup. In nights like that, you're just trying to find a way to win and sometimes you don't. They've done it before. They had a pretty good record in fourth game in six nights but it's also slightly different in that their opposition had been waiting for them since Sunday or Monday. A good portion of the time the other team facing them in these situations are on the back end of a back-to-back or played two days before.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I figure they just approach it like most games where they just want to go out there and play their game and go from there. Some nights it just doesn't work out. I don't think they actively try to come into it with less. It just sort of happens after such a scheduling setup. In nights like that, you're just trying to find a way to win and sometimes you don't. They've done it before. They had a pretty good record in fourth game in six nights but it's also slightly different in that their opposition had been waiting for them since Sunday or Monday. A good portion of the time the other team facing them in these situations are on the back end of a back-to-back or played two days before.

Ya for sure. I mean, I guess I don't think they have a discussion about it. In my experience, our locker just that look and feel going into a game that was meaningless. Nothing really gets said directly, but the tone is there. (obviously my experience isn't the NHL)

Gotta think the coaching staff loosens up a bit too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
We can match up with Boston and even Torontos roster wise with the top 6. D is probably where we lack while Boston have some solid defensemen.

Tampa is a different story but they are also the best team in the league right now.

No offense but what?? :laugh: The Panthers are 15 points behind Toronto and nearly 20 behind Boston. Goaltending is important but no goaltender can make up 15 points in the standings. What a ridiculous claim. If you think goaltending can make up 15-20 points in the standings then you must think the Sharks are as good as Tampa.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
No offense but what?? :laugh: The Panthers are 15 points behind Toronto and nearly 20 behind Boston. Goaltending is important but no goaltender can make up 15 points in the standings. What a ridiculous claim. If you think goaltending can make up 15-20 points in the standings then you must think the Sharks are as good as Tampa.

Florida isn’t much better, but the Sharks would be close to Tampa. At least according to this.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Ditch your bottom 5 GM if he f***s things up this year again (one of the biggest do-nothing GM's and I don't trust the ownership there either) and maybe I'll be convinced of a wild card team, but top 3 in the division is too high, considering how good the top 3 in that division are.

Wild card team? Absolutely. Especially since Montreal isn't that good.

I do agree goaltending sucks there. Luongo looks cooked (might have one more year as a backup in him) and Reimer isn't good enough to be more than a backup, even if he has his random .920% years sometimes. I've been slagging Reimer for years. I'm glad the Sharks stayed away from him as a starter, as mediocre as Jones is.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
fa9.gif

Think that's bad? The goaltender on the other team with 3 whole career wins posted a .929 against the 2nd best offense in the NHL.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yep, it’s really going to happen.

Great!

Remember when people were saying that Haley would probably only suit up for 5-7 games (maybe 10 at the most) after he was picked up off waivers?

Can't wait for the playoffs just so that I (hopefully) never have to see this stupid goon dress another game again, but I'm not even convinced he won't be brought back again next year.

Reactions: BigDmitriy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad