GDT: Sharks vs. Panthers 7:30pm The Return of Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
It doesn’t really matter what the intent of the banner is. At the end of the day, they’re “honoring” and acting buddy buddy with a guy who Karlsson took to court over some pretty serious allegations. Whether or not Hoffman actually did any of it, Karlsson sure as hell thinks he does and the comments from other wives and girlfriends suggest that Hoffman did.

If somebody I love and care for accused another person of a disgusting and abusive act like that which Karlsson accused Hoffman of, I wouldn’t “honor” that person in any manner in front of the person I love and care for and I wouldn’t act buddy buddy with that person in public. I wouldn’t have to hate them and I may not even believe the allegations but I would still show common decency to the accuser. The person who made the banner didn’t do that.

It isn’t technically related to Kane but the timing of Kane’s situation makes it more awkward and insensitive. Hoffman allegedly cyber bullied a member of the Sharks over his dead child, yesterday a different member of the Sharks announced his child died, and then these guys felt to need to honor Hoffman. It’s just stupid.

I don’t think a banner mocking the fact that a point-per-game player was flipped same day for a second round pick is what I would consider honoring someone. It’s a joke. They are laughing at him. I think EK is smart enough to read between the lines.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t think a banner mocking the fact that a point-per-game player was flipped same day for a second round pick is what I would consider honoring someone. It’s a joke. They are laughing at him. I think EK is smart enough to read between the lines.

Hoffman himself said it was a sign of respect. He took the time to invite the maker of the banner to the Panthers practice and hang out with them. He took the banner because he liked it so much.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It doesn’t really matter what the intent of the banner is. At the end of the day, they’re “honoring” and acting buddy buddy with a guy who Karlsson took to court over some pretty serious allegations.

That was totally mocking the fact that the Sharks didn't think enough of Hoffman to keep him for more than 15 minutes. Do you really not understand that?

Reactions: Sandisfan

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Hoffman himself said it was a sign of respect. He took the time to invite the maker of the banner to the Panthers practice and hang out with them. He took the banner because he liked it so much.

I think you are reading way too much into this. These guys were goofing on the fact that the guy was a Shark for only a few hours. EK65 has plenty of more important things to worry about.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It doesn’t really matter what the intent of the banner is. At the end of the day, they’re “honoring” and acting buddy buddy with a guy who Karlsson took to court over some pretty serious allegations. Whether or not Hoffman actually did any of it, Karlsson sure as hell thinks he does and the comments from other wives and girlfriends suggest that Hoffman did.

If somebody I love and care for accused another person of a disgusting and abusive act like that which Karlsson accused Hoffman of, I wouldn’t “honor” that person in any manner in front of the person I love and care for and I wouldn’t act buddy buddy with that person in public. I wouldn’t have to hate them and I may not even believe the allegations but I would still show common decency to the accuser. The person who made the banner didn’t do that.

It isn’t technically related to Kane but the timing of Kane’s situation makes it more awkward and insensitive. Hoffman allegedly cyber bullied a member of the Sharks over his dead child, yesterday a different member of the Sharks announced his child died, and then these guys felt to need to honor Hoffman. It’s just stupid.

I disagree that they’re honoring him. They’re making light of it or mocking it. And yes intent does matter. One simply doesn’t have anything to do with the other and we shouldn’t be lambasting someone over something intended on being light hearted and symbolic in a mocking fashion. It’s being hyper sensitive imo

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Constant communication. Both on and off the ice. Loosening up his teammates and agitating the other team.

Donskoi does not provide that.

So you’re on the bench and in the locker room? How on earth do you know what Donskoi or any of the guys are like and how they’re received? Plus yelling cliches from the bench doesn’t make you a leader.

Donskoi isn’t playing great hockey right now so if he sat in favor of Radil I’d get it but not Haley. There is a reason Deboer has been benching Haley in the third period of close games. He’s a liability on the ice.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Donskoi is absolutely a better overall player. But Michael Haley plays his ROLE better. I think being a healthy scratch in a contract year could be exactly what we need to see Donskoi start producing. He needs to find that next level.

Yeah, Haley plays his role better if his role is being a massive anchor on the 4th line for 5 minutes a game.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Kane Couture Pavs
Meier Hertl Nyquist
Labanc Jumbo Sorensen
Donskoi Goodrow Melker

I know people want to see a Kane,Hertl,Meier line but I think Couture and Pavs need some speed on their line as well as a physical presence and Kane supplies both of those.

As for the D pairings, that's abit more tricky. EK65 should be paired with Dillon because that's who he felt the most comfortable with. Maybe then Burns with Heed but then we know what that mean. The dreaded Vlasic/Braun pairing.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kane Couture Pavs
Meier Hertl Nyquist
Labanc Jumbo Sorensen
Donskoi Goodrow Melker

I know people want to see a Kane,Hertl,Meier line but I think Couture and Pavs need some speed on their line as well as a physical presence and Kane supplies both of those.

As for the D pairings, that's abit more tricky. EK65 should be paired with Dillon because that's who he felt the most comfortable with. Maybe then Burns with Heed but then we know what that mean. The dreaded Vlasic/Braun pairing.

Burns/Heed sounds like a bad idea on its own, never mind what becomes of vlasic/braun

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Burns/Heed sounds like a bad idea on its own, never mind what becomes of vlasic/braun

Nonetheless I think in the playoffs the Sharks just need to ride their top 4 and use Braun and Heed for like 10 minutes at most. No matter who gets paired with Braun we will not feel confident with it.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'd be okay with sitting Donskoi for a game if it was Radil coming into the lineup, who has proven to be more or less an effective 4th line guy. But no matter how bad Donskoi has been, scratching him for a traffic cone on skates makes zero sense. It's actively making the team worse for a game or two just for the purposes of "sending a message." imo.
For sure. Would love to see Radil back in the lineup. Adds a level of puck possession that no one on the 4th line has. Would like to see him get in a few games before the playoffs too. You know he will end up playing because there are always injuries and sometimes suspensions.

All this hand wringing over haley is pointless IMO. He won't play in the playoffs because no one wants to get a major for stupid shit and no one fights.

As far as donskoi, sure he hasn't scored a goal but is an effective part of that line most nights. Couldn't hurt to have him sit a game or 2 but I'm fine with him on the 4th line with Melker and Goody come playoff time if he ain't hack'n it with Hertl.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This is ridiculous. I’ve bagged on Donskoi more than ANYONE but defending the concept of scratching him over Haley is absolutely bonkers.

Joonas Donskoi is a better hockey player and brings more to the lineup on a nightly basis than Micheal Haley. I can’t believe this is controversial.
If that's what you're getting from my posts I have to question if you're actually reading them.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Donskoi is absolutely a better overall player. But Michael Haley plays his ROLE better. I think being a healthy scratch in a contract year could be exactly what we need to see Donskoi start producing. He needs to find that next level.

Glad somebody other than me gets the concept of player roles on a professional hockey team. A lot of others expect Connor McDavids to be playing on the 4th line. It's pretty comical.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If that's what you're getting from my posts I have to question if you're actually reading them.

I'm not sure how else to interpret your reasoning...I read it the same way as Jux, JTR, WSS, etc. You're saying Donskoi deserves to sit, but that directly leads to Haley play, who sucks massive a**.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There's a strong possibility that Hoffman is a dope and didn't get the joke

Nah he acknowledged that it was trolling but he respected it. Nothing more to it.

As for Haley it sounds like he’d make an excellent assistant coach if that coach didn’t actually have to do X’s and O’s lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haley is Teflon. One way or another this guy will stay in the lineup until April, May, or hopefully June.
Not sure if you're joking about the May and June part, but for how much DeBoer loves playing him, he's always refrained from playing goons during playoff time.

So he will more than likely be in the lineup through the first week of April, but I doubt he will be after that. I even thought he might actually play him in the playoffs in 2017 as we were approaching playoff time, but he didn't.

Knowing DeBoer the way I do and his patterns, Haley is probably in there for the next two weeks, then during the last week of the regular season, he might go with his projected playoff lineup and then maybe if guys are scratched for the season finale, Haley plays that and then he's more than likely sat in the playoffs. If history tells us anything, that's what it would suggest.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Not sure if you're joking about the May and June part, but for how much DeBoer loves playing him, he's always refrained from playing goons during playoff time.

So he will more than likely be in the lineup through the first week of April, but I doubt he will be after that. I even thought he might actually play him in the playoffs in 2017 as we were approaching playoff time, but he didn't.

Knowing DeBoer the way I do and his patterns, Haley is probably in there for the next two weeks, then during the last week of the regular season, he might go with his projected playoff lineup and then maybe if guys are scratched for the season finale, Haley plays that and then he's more than likely sat in the playoffs. If history tells us anything, that's what it would suggest.

Hopefully the Sharks are playing in May and June. Not hopefully Haley is playing in May and June.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm not sure how else to interpret your reasoning...I read it the same way as Jux, JTR, WSS, etc. You're saying Donskoi deserves to sit, but that directly leads to Haley play, who sucks massive a**.
No it doesn't. Donskoi sitting based on his own merits doesn't mean Haley has to stay in the line up. I even said Radil can come in instead.

I just don't understand the people wanting to bash Haley because Donskoi is playing like poo and create scenarios that haven't even happened yet. I expect a lot more out of Donskoi than what he's bringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad